SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Can you switch passenger/driver leathers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-14, 05:30 AM
dasleepa
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation Can you switch passenger/driver leathers?

Hey CL maybe you guys can help. Most of us have some wear and tear on our driver side seats, and that its hard to find a good condition driver seat. I was thinking if I find a good passenger side seat can I take off the leather and put it on the driver side? Thanks for the imput
Old 03-27-14, 05:46 AM
grm405
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 1 Post

No. If you look you will see that the seats are asymmetrical with different widths of bolster on either side. You cannot switch them.

Gerry
Old 03-27-14, 06:27 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You know I have been a long time member and have never really thought of this process. Good to know. Another yellow sticky note self. LOL
Old 03-27-14, 08:51 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Dont pay 500 for a used leather seat. You can have it re-upholstered for that or less. I had both my front seats re upholstered in Italian Ferrari Leather and it cost $600 for the upholstery shop to hand stitch it all.
Old 03-28-14, 11:26 AM
Slaker13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Dont pay 500 for a used leather seat. You can have it re-upholstered for that or less. I had both my front seats re upholstered in Italian Ferrari Leather and it cost $600 for the upholstery shop to hand stitch it all.
Quick question, excuse me if this is a bad question since I know nothing about reupholstering but what if some of the spongy/cushion from underneath the leather is missing, will most shops be able to replace/add more? Im tired of having to use seat covers
Old 03-28-14, 12:25 PM
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Slaker13
Quick question, excuse me if this is a bad question since I know nothing about reupholstering but what if some of the spongy/cushion from underneath the leather is missing, will most shops be able to replace/add more? Im tired of having to use seat covers
Most times when recovering the upholstery companies have a thin layer of foam sewn in with the new cover to keep it smooth and also to help with aging (Wrinkling) but the main part of the seat foam can be redone so it looks normal. If they are redoing it there then they should do it. Might charge you a little more obviously since it's more labor and some "parts" or material. If you are recovering it yourself then you can fix it with some foam from the fabric store.
Old 03-28-14, 12:50 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

When I swapped my leathers years ago, I got a sheet of that green foam from the fabric store and spray adhesive it to the existing foam. I added some massagers to my seat so I wanted the extra padding.
Old 03-28-14, 01:22 PM
Slaker13
Driver

Originally Posted by SpooledSC
Most times when recovering the upholstery companies have a thin layer of foam sewn in with the new cover to keep it smooth and also to help with aging (Wrinkling) but the main part of the seat foam can be redone so it looks normal. If they are redoing it there then they should do it. Might charge you a little more obviously since it's more labor and some "parts" or material. If you are recovering it yourself then you can fix it with some foam from the fabric store.
Oh alright I gotcha, thank you for the good information

Originally Posted by SCereal
When I swapped my leathers years ago, I got a sheet of that green foam from the fabric store and spray adhesive it to the existing foam. I added some massagers to my seat so I wanted the extra padding.
Hmmm...Massagers, never thought of doing that. Does sound awesome though! What type of leather did you go with?
Old 03-28-14, 01:49 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

I got OEM skins off a member here. The massagers were a great project. There's 6 motors in the back and 2 in the seat. Put it on a wave zigzag program and enjoy the ride. Wish I had them in my truck but I don't think I can with the cooled seats.