SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Can EGR be blocked off in car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-14, 01:48 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can EGR be blocked off in car?

Has anyone put the block off plate in place successfully while the engine was still in the car? I'm looking at removing the cooling plate and putting a plate over the port on the head since my intake doesn't have EGR provision on it and I'm not planning to pull the motor.

Also any specific kit better than the other?

Edit: Crap, sorry wrong forum. thought I was in perf & maint...
Old 03-24-14, 03:27 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I have along with many others on this board.

Here are few links to get you started:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...gr-delete.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...em-delete.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...gr-delete.html

And EGR block off plate is really just a metal plate. There aren't any significant difference between the kits.
Old 03-24-14, 04:18 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Those are pretty good links. I hope they answered your questions.
Old 03-24-14, 06:26 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Wow great, thank you!
Old 03-24-14, 07:12 PM
jjffyy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ uras300 so how did the egr delete turn out, your car is N/A right? Did you notice any significant difference before and after ?
Old 03-24-14, 07:27 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

There were no noticeable difference after I did the EGR delete. Some claim slightly better response to throttle input and I thought I felt that initially. But it was so minute that I discounted it's "performance gain" from the mod.

I see it more as cosmetic upgrade than anything else. (less clutter/cleaner engine bay.)
Old 03-25-14, 07:29 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mage
OK - listen up.

EGR increases the octane of the fuel/air mixture in your motor. That's right - it's a GOOD thing - so you should most definitely keep it! EGR slows the burn, eliminating ping and knock from your motor.
Were did you find that from? It has nothing to do with octane!
It recirculates the exhaust gases therefore EGR. it helps to lower NOx emissions. it actually causes the engine to lose efficiency.
Old 03-26-14, 03:39 AM
uras300
Lead Lap

Luckily for us at Hawaii, we have no emission testings.
Old 03-26-14, 11:32 AM
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mage
First, you would need to understand what octane is. Octane is a reverse number measuring the speed of the fuel burn - the higher the number, the slower the burn.

Led increased octane (slowed the burn) by causing the flame front to have to "go around" large molecules (tetra ethyl) that do not burn. The exhaust gas does the same thing - it slows the burn by getting in the way of the flame front. Alcohol, though it does burn, can not oxidse fast enough to contribute to combustion in an engine timed for gasoline, therefore it slows the burn in the same manner.
Octane rating is actually "Resistance to detonation" and has nothing to do with burn rate. The general octane ratings you see at the pump (87, 89, and 93) all burn at same speeds.

That being said: The EGR valve helps in recirculating exhaust gas which is now inert, taking up space in the combustion chamber which in turn (naturally) reduces the combustion temperatures' just enough to lower NOx or Oxides of Nitrogen emissions. It has absolutely nothing to do with octane rating.
Old 03-26-14, 11:45 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Huh, didnt know usless emissions junk on an engine could change the fuel octane in my tank
Old 03-26-14, 11:46 AM
SpooledSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Huh, didnt know usless emissions junk on an engine could change the fuel octane in my tank
You must not have got that memo.
Old 03-26-14, 03:20 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

You guy are both half right. Octane rating of fuel is a derived number based on its resistance to detonation compared to a known ratio of different compounds. Heptane being one of them but i don't recall the rest. The higher the octane of the fuel, the larger the hydrocarbon chains which in effect slows down the burn. This is where SpooledSC and Mage are both kinda right.

EGR has absolutely nothing to do with the octane rating of the fuel. This is where Mage is wrong and Spooled is right. EGR does mix in inert gas and reduces the available space for oxygen to mix and burn. It cools the combustion slightly to reduce emissions and all that. It changes the chemistry of the air fuel mix but it doesn't change your octane rating. It may have the effect of a higher octane rating but it comes at the cost of less oxygen to combust so the net effect is a more complete burn of the charge but less power derived.

All that said, thank you for the links and now I know I can put the plate in place with the motor in the car. My intake does not have a provision for EGR and I wouldn't run it if it did, this is a performance build and not a daily driver so I have zero concern for mileage or emissions and only care about squeezing all the power out of these little 3 liters I have available.
Old 03-26-14, 03:22 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

are there any long term disadvantages to an EGR delete? i wanna do this to clear up the engine bay and see that pretty V8 more.
Old 03-26-14, 03:33 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ill put it this way, seeing as how all the science is blocking the OP's main question.

Can the EGR system be removed and blocked off? YES.

Are there any ill side effects? Yes and no, but your engine bay is cleaner, so the heck with it.

Will it kill my engine in the long run? NO, I ran my n/a and na-t with no EGR for over a year. Along with all 5 of my s13's for several years, and every other car I have ever owned. Currently run my LS1 without the EGR.

Is it legal? In California, NO...but then again, if CA could SMOG your farts, then those wouldnt be legal either. Check your local laws, cause there is a good chance you wont pass an emissions test.

What about MPG or power gains? Minimal if any for both, but again, engine bay is clean, so who cares. Its a Toyota.
Old 03-26-14, 06:25 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

so it lowers MPG? mines a daily and i'm not going for power lol, i want better MPGs and do anything i can to get them lol. Done BFI so far, gonna hollow out the cat and been doing regular maintenance things and trying to get rid of the CEL i have. heard a lot about this and never found a good answer on what effects it has on MPGs. anyone?i have a SC400 btw

Quick Reply: Can EGR be blocked off in car?