SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Bad experience with Lextech...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-14, 10:23 PM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad experience with Lextech...

I sent my cluster in back in January and just got it back today...in pieces. The lower mounting tabs are both broken off and two of the needles fell off and are just floating around in the cluster housing.

I sent them an email letting them know the situation and asked them if they had insured the package and how to go about resolving this issue.

The reply I got was pretty shady. They stated that they received the cluster broken already and said that I can look up on their website how to reattach the needles and calibrate them.

Sure, there is the chance that it was broken during shipping to them, but I covered the cluster in bubble wrap, and then wrapped it in shipping paper, and wrote FRAGILE across the box. I shipped it via UPS and insured it. The fact that two of the needles are detached also tells me that the return shipping was apparently a rough ride. The box is all smashed up too.

You WOULD THINK that if the cluster showed up broken, maybe they'd TELL ME upon receiving it, not wait to tell me that it showed up broken when I get it back and tell them.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point. I'm contacting UPS to see if I can possible get insurance money from them, since Lextech is apparently not interested in being cooperative or helpful in this situation. Guess I'll attempt to epoxy the parts back together and reinstall the broken needles.

What makes it worse, is it's a factory manual car...that I just spent $200 dollars on to fix/upgrade, and what do I get? A busted cluster.

Anyways, just putting this out there. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone with their lack of customer service at this point, basically passing the blame and not taking any responsibility whatsoever.
Old 03-11-14, 12:43 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

That's horrible! I don't know this for a fact but perhaps if the innards are OK you can buy a used auto cluster and transplant everything into that with care. I honestly don't know but that's what I'd try.

As for Lextech... lately I have the impression that they are to be avoided :/

Shipping of parts, camera gear or basically anything remotely fragile I now do through FedEx. UPS is good sometimes but I've heard sad stories like these regarding their handling during shipping. Reading what I have lately about Lextech's poor service and quality since they were taken over by new management I also wouldn't be surprised if they carelessly damaged your cluster.

For whatever it's worth, try swapping out the electronics into a much cheaper and easier to find automatic cluster housing. At the very least it might get you back on the road.

Posts like this make me sad.
Old 03-11-14, 01:29 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

I've always had second thoughts myself. I have a factory 5spd as well. Finding a 5spd in the junkyard is rare let alone a 95-96 which mine is a 95. I think the needles are slightly different 92-94, 95-96, and 97+. Not too sure myself but to find an exact replacement is very hard. I want to avoid cases like these.

I hope it all works out for you. At least the SC is still driveable. And the damages are at least not TOO bad.
Old 03-11-14, 04:21 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, this is truly sad bro! Sorry you had to go through this too. I have a spare manual OEM cluster I may be willing to part with, if it would help you out? Mine is a 95 manual cluster, and I'm not sure if it will work with anything other than a 95-96? Maybe other members will chime in? Either way, I hope you get this issue resolved.

steve
Old 03-11-14, 05:08 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Yikes. I've always thought Lextech had a pretty neat business model, but their quality control has been lacking. Unfortunately, it's been this way for several years.
Old 03-11-14, 06:26 AM
Jostar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am staying away from LEXTECH, toooo many horror stories...
Old 03-11-14, 06:34 AM
1985zcar
Lead Lap

Thanks for the offers/tips dudes. I should be able to fix it, it's just irritating that I wasted money and now have broken parts.
Old 03-11-14, 06:48 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you insured the package, I would fill out the claim forms and they will cut you a check. It will take about 30 days, but in the mean time, fix those needles, and reattach the tabs. The mail system doesn't know if it was damaged on the return or when it was shipped, so keep this in mind. I am sorry that has happened to another person.
Old 03-11-14, 07:36 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

That's too bad. Lextech use to be a thriving business with great customer service. Now they're showing little or no regard to somebody elses stuff.
Old 03-11-14, 07:51 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
That's too bad. Lextech use to be a thriving business with great customer service. Now they're showing little or no regard to somebody elses stuff.
It's been the same for as long as I remember, far before you joined the forum.
Old 03-11-14, 05:56 PM
ilovett76
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same issue

My cluster took much longer than expected to get back. Then, the blue needles/gauges didn't match the blue ODO at all. At first I didn't even think they did anything to it! Disappointing.

If insurance doesn't cover it, dispute the CC charges. They should have told you it was broken when they got it. Or, completely fixed it.

Sorry man, that blows.
Old 03-11-14, 07:07 PM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ordered a cluster from http://taninautoelectronix.com/ today. I'll post my results when it arrives. I stayed away from lextech because of all the horror stories.
Old 03-11-14, 07:54 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Lextech needs to get their crap together.
Old 03-11-14, 08:57 PM
sorka
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you were insured heading there, then it is covered providing their claim that they received it broken holds up.

Unfortunately, since they did not inform you when they received they denied you the your own insurance coverage.

They can't have their cake and eat it too.
Old 03-11-14, 10:51 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasGS4
It's been the same for as long as I remember, far before you joined the forum.
Its a hit or miss with them from what i read with stories just like this one popping up now and then.

Hope you get it working again!

Quick Reply: Bad experience with Lextech...