SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Door Pillar Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-14, 04:38 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Door Pillar Restoration

So like most SC's in the West, the sun is hot and the UV rays are hurting to our cars. It's not often when I see an SC with perfect door pillars. Mine have started to fade on the drivers side.

So what would be the best method to restore it?

If you're wondering why I posted this in this forum instead of the detailing forum, it's because I think you guys would know the "abouts" of this paint. It's metallic black. Is it just universal color? Is there a color code for them?

Edit: I should add that It's beyond restoring with powerful plastics cleaner. I used headlight restorer and the strong Plast-X and it didn't make it look much better. I even used heave oxidation remover...

TIA
Old 02-12-14, 06:03 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

The original color for our pillars are so nice. I don't know why people paint them flat black instead of the nice metallic color "rainbowish" color they're meant to be. I wish I knew what color it's really called.
Old 02-12-14, 06:10 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are the pillars removable at all? Mine look like a dry lakebed. Would love to sand them down and repaint.
Old 02-12-14, 06:12 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty sure it's best to just polish it just like you would your paint with some Meguiars polishing compound and a mini buffer.
Old 02-12-14, 06:36 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've tried painting it, properly too, by using stripsol on the old paint, then scuffing the stainless steel underneath with a rough sand paper, so the primer would stick well, then a good black glossy paint, and clear coat. Didn't really last that long. It's been roughly 3 years and now it is starting to peel off. If you can't get a pro with good equipment to paint it, I strongly recommend just getting it covered with vinyl sticker the same kind they use to cover up entire cars. I think you have a better chance with that lasting longer. Good luck.
Old 02-12-14, 09:08 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Luxor
The original color for our pillars are so nice. I don't know why people paint them flat black instead of the nice metallic color "rainbowish" color they're meant to be. I wish I knew what color it's really called.
Yea, I was mostly looking for the name of that color. If there isn't really a know name, I'm gonna dig around and find something close.
Originally Posted by SCereal
Are the pillars removable at all? Mine look like a dry lakebed. Would love to sand them down and repaint.
Indeed. Open your door and peer behind the pillars. THere are two little plastic stickers covering 2 little holes. Removing those expose screws. THe rest is straight forward from there.
Originally Posted by Biddles
Pretty sure it's best to just polish it just like you would your paint with some Meguiars polishing compound and a mini buffer.
I tried the most severe stuff i could get my hands on and it just wasn't strong enough. Acetone...maybe...
Originally Posted by KingPhilip
I've tried painting it, properly too, by using stripsol on the old paint, then scuffing the stainless steel underneath with a rough sand paper, so the primer would stick well, then a good black glossy paint, and clear coat. Didn't really last that long. It's been roughly 3 years and now it is starting to peel off. If you can't get a pro with good equipment to paint it, I strongly recommend just getting it covered with vinyl sticker the same kind they use to cover up entire cars. I think you have a better chance with that lasting longer. Good luck.
So the best bet would be to buy from Sewell and get the OEM part, I guess, but no hurt in attempting a more permenent fix...
Old 02-12-14, 09:42 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Indeed. Open your door and peer behind the pillars. THere are two little plastic stickers covering 2 little holes. Removing those expose screws. THe rest is straight forward from there.
I figured removing them and replacing them with ones off a parts car would be the best idea too. But I've tried removing them using this method, but they're still stuck on with some adhesive. I didn't want to damage anything further trying to rip it off (because I didn't actually have replacements at the time).
Has anyone actually removed them? Is it as simple as ripping them free from the adhesive?
Old 02-12-14, 09:43 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ur best bet would be to carbon wrap it or too wrap it in gloss black vinyl.
Old 02-13-14, 07:27 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I figured removing them and replacing them with ones off a parts car would be the best idea too. But I've tried removing them using this method, but they're still stuck on with some adhesive. I didn't want to damage anything further trying to rip it off (because I didn't actually have replacements at the time).
Has anyone actually removed them? Is it as simple as ripping them free from the adhesive?
If we dont know for sure, what I can do is next time I go to the JY find an SC and remove a broken/faded pillar and see how it comes.

Originally Posted by bigwes
Ur best bet would be to carbon wrap it or too wrap it in gloss black vinyl.
For you, maybe, but for people like me, (restoring it to stock), it wouldn't work.
Old 02-13-14, 07:50 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

You know I have seen several SC's with faded pillars. Mine are still like new/used condition for being 21 years old. No paint or clear peeling. I would rather sand, prep, and spray than to wrap. JMO.
Old 02-13-14, 08:43 AM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"I figured removing them and replacing them with ones off a parts car would be the best idea too. But I've tried removing them using this method, but they're still stuck on with some adhesive. I didn't want to damage anything further trying to rip it off (because I didn't actually have replacements at the time).
Has anyone actually removed them? Is it as simple as ripping them free from the adhesive?"

- A new door trim can be had from your local dealer, just ~$945.00!!
To remove the exterior door trim is quite an effort. The two little hidden screws mentioned above are only the beginning... That door trim is 1 piece including the entire chrome surround from the mirror to the door edge. To remove you must -
1. remove the inner lower door panel assembly
2. remove the inner upper door trim assembly (extremely fragile!!)
3. remove the mirror
4. 'drop' the window down within the door (I'm not real good at this, involves loosening the window track to lower the glass beyond its normal limit...)
At this point you should have access to all the mounts. As noted there are two very small screws under the covers at the door edge, there are a series of ~5 nuts that hold the trim on the upper edge along the window opening (these are all concealed under the inner upper window trim), there is one screw near the mirror, and there are ~5 more small screws that secure the trim along the bottom edge of the window opening (these are obscured by the window, hence the need to drop the glass down to gain access...). You should now be able to pop the single plastic clip (between the 2 small screws at the door edge, and slowly (there is some double sided tape along the upper edge) peel the trim off the door.

Do not try to remove the inner upper door trim without first removing the lower inner door panel, there are 5 mounting screws for the upper trim under the lower panel.

Sounds bad, but it can generally be done in less than a half hour, 'bout the same to reassemble. Use caution, all the parts are brittle/fragile after all these years. If unsure, I recommend visiting a local U-pull junk yard for practice!

One other word of caution, mix and matching trims from other cars can lead to a slightly 'disjointed' look wherein the chrome surround may be slightly misaligned as it crosses the door gap.

Good luck!!, - Brent.
Old 02-13-14, 09:02 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Thanks Brent. I has a feeling this was the case when it didn't pop off when I took off those 2 first screws. But unsure and trying to be optimistic, I thought it was simply an adhesive. Now I can see why no one changes these out, and simply wraps them.
I'm like a few other people on here, and prefer it to be original rather than wrapped. But I guess I have no choice now. Going to have to decide whether I want to carbon-fibre wrap it (which I think would look out I place unless there was carbon-fibre elsewhere on the car), or plasti-dip it..
Old 02-13-14, 09:05 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by 10thMtnLex
"I figured removing them and replacing them with ones off a parts car would be the best idea too. But I've tried removing them using this method, but they're still stuck on with some adhesive. I didn't want to damage anything further trying to rip it off (because I didn't actually have replacements at the time).
Has anyone actually removed them? Is it as simple as ripping them free from the adhesive?"

- A new door trim can be had from your local dealer, just ~$945.00!!
To remove the exterior door trim is quite an effort. The two little hidden screws mentioned above are only the beginning... That door trim is 1 piece including the entire chrome surround from the mirror to the door edge. To remove you must -
1. remove the inner lower door panel assembly
2. remove the inner upper door trim assembly (extremely fragile!!)
3. remove the mirror
4. 'drop' the window down within the door (I'm not real good at this, involves loosening the window track to lower the glass beyond its normal limit...)
At this point you should have access to all the mounts. As noted there are two very small screws under the covers at the door edge, there are a series of ~5 nuts that hold the trim on the upper edge along the window opening (these are all concealed under the inner upper window trim), there is one screw near the mirror, and there are ~5 more small screws that secure the trim along the bottom edge of the window opening (these are obscured by the window, hence the need to drop the glass down to gain access...). You should now be able to pop the single plastic clip (between the 2 small screws at the door edge, and slowly (there is some double sided tape along the upper edge) peel the trim off the door.

Do not try to remove the inner upper door trim without first removing the lower inner door panel, there are 5 mounting screws for the upper trim under the lower panel.

Sounds bad, but it can generally be done in less than a half hour, 'bout the same to reassemble. Use caution, all the parts are brittle/fragile after all these years. If unsure, I recommend visiting a local U-pull junk yard for practice!

One other word of caution, mix and matching trims from other cars can lead to a slightly 'disjointed' look wherein the chrome surround may be slightly misaligned as it crosses the door gap.

Good luck!!, - Brent.
Thanks. If a DIY isn't on here with pictures, I might just do that...at the JY or on my SC. Should of known it's not just adhesive...
Old 02-13-14, 09:40 AM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I too wanted the correct factory appearance. Of 4 door trims on my 2 SCs only one was still in good condition, so I made a habit of trying to find nice ones at the junk yard. Small problem with the pre made CF covers, is coverage of the 1/4 - 1/2 inch area that curves into the door gap, nicks there will still show. Paint would require both sides, and is unlikely to adhere well to the chrome... Asked the dealer for a replacement quote, hence the 945 part price. Found ($18.00 at the U-pull) and installed (dealer) a nice OE trim on my 300, so it is good, and have a nice pair now ready for install on my 400 as well.

Bestest!, - Brent
Old 02-13-14, 12:44 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by 10thMtnLex
I too wanted the correct factory appearance. Of 4 door trims on my 2 SCs only one was still in good condition, so I made a habit of trying to find nice ones at the junk yard. Small problem with the pre made CF covers, is coverage of the 1/4 - 1/2 inch area that curves into the door gap, nicks there will still show. Paint would require both sides, and is unlikely to adhere well to the chrome... Asked the dealer for a replacement quote, hence the 945 part price. Found ($18.00 at the U-pull) and installed (dealer) a nice OE trim on my 300, so it is good, and have a nice pair now ready for install on my 400 as well.

Bestest!, - Brent
Buy a small European country for that price! That's only for the extremely desperate people.

A tip on how to find these...go through eBay, contact the sellers that have the picture of an entire SC (JY parts car) and ask them if they have what you're looking for. A lot of times they have them. Might cost a pretty penny, but you'll still be paying less than half from anywhere else.

Quick Reply: Door Pillar Restoration