SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

so i bought some CCWs :) and this happens :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-14, 07:59 AM
kinch09
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so i bought some CCWs :) and this happens :(

so as the title says i bought some CCWs LM5 18x10 and 18x12 mounted some 245/35 and nitto 315/30 thing are going great I am so happy

so here are some pics before the bad news

now for the bad news, later on that night i went for a test drive. I never really had this much traction before. so I did a few pulls everything seems great, im not saying traction is what caused the malfunction but something caused it.

I mean im only making 530whp and had this 1 piece driveshaft made. there has to be people out there making more power then me with good traction,,,i don't know its been a rough night, thought id share. I guess its time for a driveshaftshop.com drive shaft
Old 01-26-14, 08:47 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow! Never seen this before? Maybe the LEX experts will chime in? For what it's worth bro, those wheels are SICK! Hey let us know what you find out? Hit Cam up, and see what he thinks?

steve
Old 01-26-14, 09:02 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Tough break on the driveshaft. I'm sure something malfunctioned and enough torque caused the carnage.

Off topic a bit, is that a Rideskinz rear lip? If so, how did you get it to fit around the license plate area?
Old 01-26-14, 09:27 AM
kinch09
Driver

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Wow! Never seen this before? Maybe the LEX experts will chime in? For what it's worth bro, those wheels are SICK! Hey let us know what you find out? Hit Cam up, and see what he thinks?

steve
thanks man, yeah cam thinks the tail housing will be ok. which is the main thing im worried about besides the fact I got to fork out a lot of money for a good DS

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Tough break on the driveshaft. I'm sure something malfunctioned and enough torque caused the carnage.

Off topic a bit, is that a Rideskinz rear lip? If so, how did you get it to fit around the license plate area?
after reading some stuff im wondering if the ride height change had to do anythinh with it from going to 20s to 18s and having a passenger in the back seat.

yes it is a redskinz lip front and rear. had them both installed by and buddy of mine he used rubber urethane to seal it
Old 01-26-14, 11:04 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The riding height was what I was thinking also. I am wondering if the height was enough to put this driveshaft in a bind to cause it to snap and break. What all got damaged? I am making the same power and had zero issues with my 19's down to my TT 17's. I am using the MKIII front, the SC300 auto rear, Grade 8 bolts with lock washers, and a TT center bearing. I have had zero issues. Was all your bolts tight?
Old 01-26-14, 11:07 AM
babowc
Driver

Ride height shouldn't affect the driveshaft. Looks like something got stuck?
Was it an aluminum shaft? go ahead and check your mounts, too.
Old 01-26-14, 11:54 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who made the driveshaft? Maybe too much abuse?
Old 01-26-14, 12:40 PM
kinch09
Driver

pretty much the only stuff that was damaged is what you see in the pics besides some of the under carriage where the DS piece that was still connected to the rear end was spinning around like crazy. oh and the exhaust was knocked off from every hanger it was connect to. everything is pretty tight on the TT Diff

it doesn't seem like anything was stuck, the ride was very smooth up until the point it snapped.

The DS was newly built by a local drivetrain shop. it was a complete 1 piece with my 2 end piece from my stock DS welded on to a steel tube.
Old 01-26-14, 02:31 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been a while since I've been under my car and im not 100% how the rear mounts but I don't think ride height is going to affect pinion angle due to the IRS. This isn't a solid rear axle setup. If a half shaft had snapped, sure but I think the angles of the driveshaft and rear are static.

I'd march down to the DS shop with it in hand and ask for warranty replacement or my money back.
Old 01-26-14, 02:37 PM
RikTT
Pole Position

Do you have solid diff bushings on your TT rear ? Solid trans bushing? What was your old tire as it seems you may have spun a lot .. That was the weakest part in your post drivetrain so it gave. Quite possible the driveshaft tubing was at its limits (stress point/unbalanced?) with the new Nitto compound doing its use.
Old 01-26-14, 04:19 PM
kinch09
Driver

Originally Posted by SCereal
Been a while since I've been under my car and im not 100% how the rear mounts but I don't think ride height is going to affect pinion angle due to the IRS. This isn't a solid rear axle setup. If a half shaft had snapped, sure but I think the angles of the driveshaft and rear are static.

I'd march down to the DS shop with it in hand and ask for warranty replacement or my money back.
yeah I defiantly understand what you are saying about the IRS. I tried earlier today when I had time to look for the other half on the highway but had no luck ill try again soon and take it back

Originally Posted by RikTT
Do you have solid diff bushings on your TT rear ? Solid trans bushing? What was your old tire as it seems you may have spun a lot .. That was the weakest part in your post drivetrain so it gave. Quite possible the driveshaft tubing was at its limits (stress point/unbalanced?) with the new Nitto compound doing its use.
no solid bushings. I had a 20x11 275/30 set up before the new one. yeah it had to be at its limits, it just seems odd that only at 530hp and hardly seeing the road and never gave it hard launches it give out on me

does anyone think ill have a problem in the future with the piece missing on the tail housing?

Last edited by kinch09; 01-26-14 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-26-14, 08:27 PM
babowc
Driver

No.
If your splines are fine, you're good to go.
That piece won't be an issue, but you need to check if oil will leak from that tail end, because it looks like the breakage is deep into the input shaft seal (is that even a seal?)
Old 01-26-14, 09:46 PM
CrispyST3
Driver

From what i can see is that 2 of your tires look to be the wrong tires

Those tires seem to be directional, and both fronts and both rears seem to look identical. So no matter which way you mounted those tires, 1 front and 1 rear was either not facing the right way, or should have been on the other side.

These type of tires have a face to them, what i mean by this is that when you buy them you have to buy them for
Front right, Front Left, Rear Right and Rear Left.

Right there it seems like you have 2 Rear Lefts and 2 Right Fronts.

I may be mistaken but i think this could have been what made it happen
Old 01-27-14, 12:34 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Depending on which side of the vehicle determines which sidewall faces out. The two tires to the left would have one specific sidewall facing outward no matter which side of the vehicle it goes on, the specific side will be marked "Outward facing" or the like while the two on the right depends on which side they go on the vehicle as long as the direction of the tread or rotational arrow on tire is rolling forward toward the front of the vehicle.

Now of course the tires can be mounted wrong. But the tires are correct in the picture. Now I wouldn't have two different brand/ design of tires even though I actually do on my own SC due to money woes. My SC handles differently than when I had four matching tires.

Last edited by TheAzn; 01-27-14 at 12:37 AM.
Old 01-27-14, 06:56 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

With all of this being said, which direction are you thinking of going?

I think you should might consider going with the MKIII front, SC300 rear differential pieces, with a new TT center bearing. See what happens. JMO

Quick Reply: so i bought some CCWs :) and this happens :(