SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC as DD in the DSM...

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-14, 08:12 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC as DD in the DSM...

I'll get it out of the way first- I missed you guys and the camraderie of the board. Just had to get out of my own headspace, if ya follow me.

/\
!!
!!
!!
Onwards and Upwards, I guess. ------------>

Okay, so begins year 2 of a five year tour of the Midwest, starting with Des Moines. No seriously, circumstances and employment brought me up here, snow and all. And of course, anyone who's ever driven in snow with power to the rear wheels has stared into the face of death. No, I'm not joking at all.

The SC is not immediately the ideal car to own in a place where it snows 5 months out of the year. It seems that my neighbors all own trucks, SUVs, snowplows, vans... the list continues. By and far, MOST of these cars have adequate ground clearance so that slush does not become a safety issue.

But I get ahead of myself, I think. To begin with, the SC300 has always had a personality of it's own. Tabaka claims it's a Supra in a fat suit, and I'm inclined to agree in part. It has a level of pantomime to it- smooth luxurious ride with a power button and a drift-happy rear end.

I swear, they were either making cars for the little old lady of Pasadena- or else our cars became available after the first big snowstorm.

Wow, I mean this car gets sideways happy. With VERY little effort, you can almost play Protractor- the home game. My first several months, I spent many a rush hour at less than a straight angle. Picture every possibility to help keep the tail in check- sandbags, lower gears, winter tires, etc... and still you're doing the 90 degree turns, literally.

The slush gets underneath the undercarriage and into the wheel wells. This makes braking fun and exciting, not to mention a real way to keep your wits sharp. I have to try and scrape enough of it off between stops so that it doesn't accumulate. I've slid into three cars without major damage (my front end really looks like my goggle-eyed mother's been driving it) because my brakes locked up. And here in Iowa, we don't blink at damage like that.

Minor quibbles: heat is not perfect at subzero temperatures. Side mirrors fog up, side windows ice.

Nearly everyone up here tells me I should sell the car and get something more... practical. The hell with them, I say.

For those of you who know Des Moines, I recently had a major adventure on I35 near Urbandale. I was in the middle lane doing about 30 on the night of our last surprise blizzard (new one for me). Earlier conditions included a white-out and about 3 inch accumulation, and it was night time. Anyway, without gas or brakes, I merged into the right lane just as I hit a slice of ice.

Holy Smokes, Indiana Jones!! I'd spun out in plenty of cars before in all manners of driving, but Wow. I watched headlights come and go three or four times before I managed to get control. Best of all that, I was pointing in my original direction and was... ALIVE! Somehow, the wall of cars had slowed down and avoided killing me. I was tempted to tell people that it was my talent that made that slide possible... but I'm inclined to think it was the car and me together. In sync.

Just makes me love the car more, I tell ya. This is one of the few cars that ever puts a smile on my face nearly everytime I drive it. It's not super fast, it is super comfortable... but it takes care of me. And what a personality she has!

Greetings from Iowa, everyone.
Old 01-20-14, 08:44 PM
Lowlife24
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being In Sync is such a great feeling
Old 01-20-14, 08:57 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Hello again and welcome back! Thanks for the story-- it gives me some perspective as to what I might run into driving west next month. I take it you do not have the TRAC option in your SC. My Torsen does seem to help out on the rare occasion I break traction in rainy conditions at low speed. I've yet to experience snow with this car.

I feel the same way about my SC: loads of personality with practicality that just makes me happy every time I drive it.
Old 01-21-14, 04:55 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

i had to drive to put my sc in storage before the winter got any worse.
and i experienced all those same things on the turnpike in ohio.
no lsd + 5speed+ snow= slow lane!
Old 01-21-14, 05:04 AM
TonyFrench
Rookie

Beautiful debriefing
Old 01-21-14, 06:59 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Love the to hear stories like this. Glad you was bale to maintain the car and not hit anything. I would absolutely hate the snow. I don't understand why people live there and try to drive in it. Causes rust, problems, and more problems..
Old 01-21-14, 09:03 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

snow does not cause rust, its the salt, and alot of states stop using salt, this is a summer car so your best bet is get a 4wd for winter, snow can be alot of fun with a truck or a wrx.
Old 01-21-14, 10:11 AM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just pickup a real crappy beater of a truck?

Maybe a old beatup toyota tacoma? That put your SC away for the winter. You could pickup a used tacoma for about 1500$ and would run ya all winters.

Then you could enjoy a Rust-free SC
Old 01-22-14, 02:43 PM
SpadedOne
Rookie

I live up in Northern Iowa, where there the weather is even worse than there. These things are straight up death traps if you don't know what your doing. I've have been driving my 98 SC300 all winter long. Looks like you have a 97+. I had the snow/ice build up really bad in the wheel wells too. Icing up the tires and making it almost impossible to drive at times. I decided to take off my side skirts and it makes a HUGE difference. I took them off originally because I'm lowered (Tanabe) and didn't want them bottoming out and cracking with all that ice build up and the potholes that the winter brings. But now, there is practically no build up at all now and my tires stay clean. Does make a gap in your door jam though. Just need to find a way till fill the gap otherwise all the sludge will build up and get on your legs when you try to get out. Any kind of self adhesive foam, like window or door sealers will work as long as it's 1/2" thick or more. I also just got new studded snow tires (Firestone Winterforces) now too and the thing is a total beast in the snow now! I get through everything no problems even being lowered. I do have SNOW mode, but haven't even had the need to use it at all!

FYI- Iowa doesn't use salt, so rust is not an issue for us. Also, the SC is WAY more fun in the snow than my last car, an AWD Subaru SVX.

Last edited by SpadedOne; 01-22-14 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 05:27 PM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Thanks for the suggestion, Spaded. I'll be moving in about 2 weeks, and the girl is getting a garage back. She truly does better indoors, and is appreciative.

He does bring up some interesting points, though. Little things I've found over the past snow season and a half. Things that might make it easier for someone else in my predicament.

To reassure the others, though. Jessica's here for keeps (after Jessica Rabbitt - she's not bad, she's just drawn that way...) and I'm getting something this year for crappy weather. Maybe a beater, maybe a truck/SUV, dunno.

First, this is not a snow car I would recommend to a new driver- period. Unless you've had time behind the wheel on a go-kart and are used to sliding, try a Maxima or TL to start. They're pretty fast, look good and are still FWD. I laud those who have made this their first car- but back me up, you'd want some wheel time before you put your baby in danger.

Okay, so my observations for the SC in snowy weather. As I've said, not an ideal car for this situation. But I firmly believe that the right car can sync with his/her driver. These machines are living, breathing beautiful souls who feed our need for speed. So we can make it work.

I know, I'm a romantic and somewhat lengthy rascal. But I digress, and blame it on the damn English degree. Not much else to do except teach... but I digress.

1.) If you have rims, put them away. The ice alone up here is enough to make a grown man poo his pants a little. Low profile tires just make sliding prettier and more frequent. And that's an observation from watching other idiots go spinning- mostly jacked 300C's with dual tone paint. Tabs once said he was "rolling on stockers" for a while. That's the way to go, and I'll buy rims and tires in the spring.

2.) Invest in plastic all weather mats. They're hideously ugly, but they catch all sorts of crap and can be hosed off (though in fairness mine need it badly). Rocks, sludge, salt, mud, dirt, gum- you name it. The real floormats will come out in nicer weather.

3.) Keep cardboard on hand. Trust me, this is awesome to wipe snow off the windows.

4.) Load your trunk with sandbags. I have 3 50-pounders in the trunk. Makes a huge difference.

5.) NEVER, ever turn off the TCS. Unless you want to.

6.) Try not to feel paranoid at the length of the car (almost an Escalade) or the width. Some of the roads here are very narrow. And you can't use all the lane you're in, since it's covered in ice and snow intermittently.

Just drive! Oh, and when it's nice- take the old girl to a nice laser wash and let them do their magic. Grey-white and red clash horribly.

Wishing the country warmer weather.
Old 02-04-14, 07:31 AM
SpadedOne
Rookie

Originally Posted by brerrabbit
First, this is not a snow car I would recommend to a new driver- period. Unless you've had time behind the wheel on a go-kart and are used to sliding, try a Maxima or TL to start. They're pretty fast, look good and are still FWD. I laud those who have made this their first car- but back me up, you'd want some wheel time before you put your baby in danger.
Thats hilarious you said that because I raced go-karts from 6yrs old to 16 and raced in a handful of different dirt race cars since then, all dirt ovals including the world famous Knoxville Raceway(modifieds, stockcars, vintage, etc..). Raced asphalt a few times, BORING! Asphalt is for getting there, dirt is for racing!!! I need to be sideways! Plus I've lived in Iowa and/or Wisconsin my whole life, so I'm used to it. I love the winters because I get to play hockey and play/drive in the snow.

I am going to put my baby away next year. This is her first winter ever. She came from Georgia. Just couldn't find a decent winter beater that I could afford before the snow flew this year.

You are right though, this is not a car for an inexperienced driver!!!! Especially in snow and ice!
Old 02-04-14, 10:47 AM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you feel that way about the SC. I really like my car, but sometimes I wish it was a better car in some ways. I get pretty bad MPG and the car's length becomes a problem from time to time (especially because it's about 3 inches off the road with a fiberglass body kit.), but I still get some complements at the end of the day
Old 02-04-14, 03:32 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mage
I get 25 MPG on plus gas. Except when it's like, REALLY cold - then it goes down. And that's without the BFI mod, which is supposed to improve it even more. I did the air filter, fuel filter and PCV valve when I bought it, along with some Greased Lightning teflon treatment for the motor. I dunno what you call bad mileage? Do you drive it hard? That'll do it - no matter what kind of car.

I can't say enough about this car. I get in it, and I don't want to get out! She needs hail dents filled and paint but she runs... WOW! Just wow. And let her show you how to do a fast turn.

Bob Seger simply must have had a SC when he wrote "Watch Her Strut." You think?
I'm sure there's a lot that needs to be fixed on my car since I'm the 5th owner and this car made its way from Massachusetts to Southern California. I do like my car, but I don't plan on keeping it forever
Old 02-04-14, 04:04 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and get what? ^
Old 02-07-14, 09:39 AM
brerrabbit
Lead Lap

Spaded, interesting that you got a GA car and brung it up to Iowa. I bought a NJ car and brung it down to GA, then moved to DSM. Good times.

I'm going back and forth between an Audi A4 or a smaller SUV for the winter. Leaning more towards the A4, just because I've had one before, they're lower to the ground and VERY solid. Not a super big fan of high riding vehicles- I like being able to corner at a sideways angle if needed.

Let me clarify... I like to go sideways when I want to. I'd prefer the option to choose.

Quick Reply: SC as DD in the DSM...