SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Running new wire through original door loom???

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 09:01 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Running new wire through original door loom???

What's the best method of getting new wire through the door loom? I'm on the verge of drilling new holes which I really don't want to do as I want to keep the car looking as stock as possible.

I just can't seem to push/pull new wire through this damn rubber. It's so tight, I have two sets of 16 Gauge wiring I need to get through on each door. I know not to use WD40 as it will chew through the rubber over time, I do have a can of Toyota's White Grease Spray...not sure if that will eat the rubber though. Any other methods? I've disconnected the wiring harness to give me more play but still struggling. My fingers have taken a sufficient beating already. I've tried the coat hanger method as well...

Advice please! I have much to do, and this is holding me back.
Old 01-17-14, 09:38 AM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

you could try cutting small sections of the tip of the rubber to give you some more room to work with. The rubber in hooks from the car and slides inside the door panel.
Old 01-17-14, 12:35 PM
Sc375
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

use a wire hanger, tape the new wire to it with E tape to the tip and wiggle it through. with patience
Old 01-17-14, 12:58 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I ran my speaker wires, I wanted to stay stock looking too and what I had to do was cut a tiny little slit about half way in the rubber boot and do it in stages. I used the coat hanger but I took the tip and rolled it over with some needlenose pliers so it wouldn't be sharp and that gives you a little more ability to just push and plow through without fear of ripping anything. Once I got it to the slit, I pulled it through and then started over for the second half. when I was done, I wrapped it back up in electrical tape. Been fine for last 5 years or so.
Old 01-17-14, 01:01 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sc375
use a wire hanger, tape the new wire to it with E tape to the tip and wiggle it through. with patience
I tried and tried and tried and couldn't do it. It's a bit colder today then the last few days and my hands were painfully numb from the cold. Spent over a hour and a half on this issue, and couldn't get one so definitely won't fit two. My driver door grommet was cut on the bottom anyway and exposed so I I just wired into that hole, and above the original grommet where they fit snug. A little ghetto which I was trying to avoid, but I fought with it for too long. If it warms up more tomorrow I'll try one last time, my wiring isn't finalized yet just sitting in place. I might silicone seal it or pick up a door loom kit.
Old 01-17-14, 01:44 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mage
they call it yellow 77. they use it to pull telephone and other low-voltage wires/cables through conduits. it works and it will never degrade the insulation
Good find. They sell this at Home Depot or Lowes?
Old 01-17-14, 06:30 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Take the rubber out of the door and run the wire through, its not hard to remove it or put it back in and you wont be left with a greasy mess. Took me less than 15 min to run new speaker wires through both my front doors.
Old 01-17-14, 07:35 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc375
Originally Posted by turbodremz
Take the rubber out of the door and run the wire through, its not hard to remove it or put it back in and you wont be left with a greasy mess. Took me less than 15 min to run new speaker wires through both my front doors.
First, follow turbodremz and then sc375 is second. That's what i did when i ran wires for my 2 sets of speakers in my door. It does take quite a bit of time but it works.
Old 01-17-14, 08:07 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1of120
First, follow turbodremz and then sc375 is second. That's what i did when i ran wires for my 2 sets of speakers in my door. It does take quite a bit of time but it works.
I did exactly that. I think it's because the cold weather, and my hands feel frost bitten. My 96 has a few more wires then my 92, the tube is very tight around the loom. Perhaps the extra wires for the auto dim mirror or something... My speaker wires are quite thick too. I tried hitting it with a heat gun to help it move better, but it didn't do much. I'll be back at it again tomorrow around 1-2pm when it's the hottest point of the day. I got some brackets and mdf mounts to finish until then.

Quick question....does anyone know the point of these two rear deck covers that easily pop in/out? They sit between the sub and rear deck speakers...but why? I was thinking of mounting my crossovers to the undersides of them for a nice symmetrical look.

Old 01-18-14, 11:36 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Got them wired good, had a little better weather today. Anyone know what those are for in the pic I posted above? I still want to mound a small piece of MDF to it, then my crossovers to them, of course dynamat everything which is what I'm doing now.
Old 01-18-14, 05:05 PM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't recall 100% but that does ring a bell popping some plates out of my deck. I know I mounted my rear crossovers to an mdf piece where the subwoofer was. I think I popped those plates out to port my enclosure into the cabin.
Old 01-18-14, 07:54 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Just wondering but what are you working on? New speakers?