SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Toyota Soarer UZZ32 SHOCKED!

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-14, 10:14 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t2d2
Why does the car in the video have Lexus SC400 badging if it's a JDM model?

Wasn't it the Honda Prelude around the same time that was somewhat crippled by its 4WS and inability to pull away from a curb or wall if parked too close, because it would fishtail?

I like the digital HVAC/Radio controls -- aside from the fear of what in the world would you do when part of it needs replacing -- but the digital cluster does little for me. I much prefer the classic look and intuitiveness of round gauges.
Because a lot of people with Soarers seem to badge them as Lexus for some odd reason.

The 4WS on the UZZ32 doesnt have those kind of issues, but there are issues with the hydraulic suspension..requiring rebuilds or replacement.

The screens are pretty easy to fix for someone who knows capacitors, electronics etc. I got mine repaired for around $300 a few years ago
Old 10-26-14, 12:25 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by czar07
Because a lot of people with Soarers seem to badge them as Lexus for some odd reason.

The 4WS on the UZZ32 doesnt have those kind of issues, but there are issues with the hydraulic suspension..requiring rebuilds or replacement.

The screens are pretty easy to fix for someone who knows capacitors, electronics etc. I got mine repaired for around $300 a few years ago
1) That is odd, indeed! Not that I disagree with the notion, since I love the SC but don't much care for Toyota as a whole. I'm one of those people mystified by those who put Toyota/Soarer badges on their SC.

3) $300 seems pretty steep for that, although if that's in Australian currency, that's about 10% less than what I'm thinking. Still 3x the cost to repair the HVAC LCD and lights here, though. (Yay for Tanin!) Good to know they're repairable, at least!
Old 10-27-14, 09:20 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

I don't like badging a US market car as its JDM variant although my car came with Griffin wheel center caps and I still have them on my TT wheels. When a UZZ32 becomes elibigle for US importation I'd hope the examples are kept in original condition since they are so rare.

When I look at the majority of sports models Toyota originated versus the sports models Lexus originated themselves (which has been only in the last five years or so) I have a lot more respect for the Toyota brand than Lexus who decided to continuously tone down every sporty Toyota model they added to their stable for the USA under the "L" badge:

Soarer 2.5GT 1JZ-GTE
Aristo V300 2JZ-GTE
Altezza 2.0 Beams 3S-GE 6-speed manual

Not to mention on the Toyota side we only got the first two in this list:

Celica GT-Four/All-Trac
Supra MKIV
MR2 (1st gen 4A-GE NA & 4A-GZE supercharged, 2nd gen 5S-FE & 3S-GTE Turbo)
MR2 Spyder (MR-S) (1ZZ-FE only but that was also the case worldwide)
Caldina 3S-GTE AWD
Chaser 1JZ-GTE
Mark II 1JZ-GTE
Verossa 1JZ-GTE
Mark X sedan 3.5L V6 (optional supercharger)

I have always highly admired Lexus vehicle quality and their marketing but until very recently (only as they are giving up on manual transmissions) has the brand started doing things right by not holding back their best models in top-level trim from the USA.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-06-19 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Grammatical correction + forgot to add the MR2!
Old 10-27-14, 10:16 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Kahn, I don't know all those models, but that sure looks like an indication of how Toyota has gone from edgy, sporty cars of the 80s and 90s to bland, forgettable cars of the 2000s. That's a big part of my dislike of the brand. They appeal to the sheep mentality, which in turn attracts the worst drivers. The majority of the time I'm stuck behind an annoying driver, it's a Toyota. The only Toyota badging I want is on a Denso part.

I don't think Lexus should be faulted for toning down sporty cars of yesteryear. They're a luxury division which has to cater to certain expectations. Remember, Acura dropped the Integra because it was dominating the line and limiting their ability to move up in the market. Any such blame should be pointed at Toyota for not maintaining those sportier offers here, separate from the Lexus line.
Old 10-28-14, 03:35 AM
KahnBB6

Lexus was growing in the 90's and as they did they pilfered what would have been pricier but sporty RWD Toyota platforms: the Soarer became the SC, the Aristo became the GS and later the very sporty Toyota themed Altezza sedan became the IS. In every case none of these models were exactly what Lexus wanted and their edgier characteristics were tuned out of them for the luxury market. This didn't leave Toyota with much outside of their FWD offerings. The Altezza/IS would have been a much better fit as a Toyota offering. The gen2 IS was a completely different car in both sheet metal and intended buyer.

They aren't the only company to do this. With the exception of the very high-priced GTR look at Infiniti's affect on the Nissan lineup. The Z is there but if you want more than two seats there isn't much other than very basic underwhelming cars. Not too different from what happened with Lexus and Toyota.

It's a moot point now. The FR-S for Toyota/Scion and the RC coupe for Lexus are the very first deviations from this trend under the new CEO so maybe as you suggest we'll see more such changes under his watch. The other models I mentioned (I forgot the MR2 but we did get those) may have been seen not only as not viable by Toyota brass but also as competition for what Lexus wasn't offering anyway.

The poor drivers I see very often tend to be driving some model of Prius. It is something about a car designed for people who either don't like to drive or don't care one way or the other. I definitely have no love of those particular Toyotas

Acura... I can't muster any respect for them. Their 90's models were brilliant from the NSX to the Legend. Now they don't know what they want to be or how to do it. Honda on the other hand does know their core market very well... but sadly what that is no longer remains interesting or fun.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-28-14 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 10-28-14, 08:52 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Lexus was growing in the 90's and as they did they pilfered what would have been pricier but sporty RWD Toyota platforms:
That was the way of the 80s/90s luxury division spin-offs, for better or worse. Take a regular offering and charge more for it than the luxury upgrades cost. Even Mazda tried it with the Millenia joint venture with Ford that failed and resulted in the car being released for $10k less than planned.

It's a moot point now. The FR-S for Toyota/Scion and the RC coupe for Lexus are the very first deviations from this trend under the new CEO so maybe as you suggest we'll see more such changes under his watch.
I didn't know there was a recent CEO change (not the sort of thing I follow) ... makes me hopeful that there will be more inspired designs among the regular Toyota lineup!

The poor drivers I see very often tend to be driving some model of Prius. It is something about a car designed for people who either don't like to drive or don't care one way or the other. I definitely have no love of those particular Toyotas
It's a formula that sells like crazy, sadly. Most Camrys and Avalaons/Solaras I see fit into the category, as well. Oblivious to everyone around them and afraid of the gas pedal. At least the truck and SUV drivers tend to show some competence behind the wheel.

Acrua... I can't muster any respect for them.
Intentional typo? My friend just got a new RDX or MDX (I can never remember which is which; model naming is another thing Acura really went wrong with post-Integra era), and boy is it a nice car. Way too complicated for my taste, but it feels very well built and performs incredibly for its size.
Old 10-28-14, 11:54 AM
KahnBB6

I know but it is rather stupid. If you don't sell interesting cars on the Toyota dealer lots then no one will buy them.

Yes, the new CEO has been responsible for the Lexus LF-A, IS-F, FR-S and RC-F among other cars.

The Avalon apparently has a sales case but this is where I see the Mark X (RWD V6 sport sedan) coming in.

Oops. No, it wasn't an intentional typo. I'm glad you had a good experience with one of their big SUVs but I do stand by my opinion. Acura isn't doing much of interest with their passenger cars any longer. They have technology but they fear horsepower, rear-drive, good looks and dare I say fun. Maybe they've put all that talent only into their SUVs.
Old 10-28-14, 01:53 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I know but it is rather stupid. If you don't sell interesting cars on the Toyota dealer lots then no one will buy them.
Ah, but Toyota has proven otherwise in a huge way. They're the sales leader now, aren't they? And they offer an endless see of uninteresting cars, with the only counter-examples being under spin-off brands. Even the new 4 Runner and Rav4 look to have been designed by a blind person. The entire lineup is completely devoid of a distinctive crease or line.

Boring sells, big time.
Old 10-28-14, 06:51 PM
KahnBB6

Forgive my wording. I should have been more specific. I meant that if they don't sell interesting cars on the Toyota lots then no one will be able to choose to buy or ignore THOSE interesting cars which are simply not there to begin with. I wasn't speaking of the rest of their bread and butter lineup.

Put another way: How can you say people won't buy something you don't offer in the first place?
Old 10-28-14, 07:54 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Forgive my wording. I should have been more specific. I meant that if they don't sell interesting cars on the Toyota lots then no one will be able to choose to buy or ignore THOSE interesting cars which are simply not there to begin with. I wasn't speaking of the rest of their bread and butter lineup.

Put another way: How can you say people won't buy something you don't offer in the first place?
Oh, gotcha. I somewhat agree, then. However, Toyota and the other Japanese brands that followed suit obviously had a pretty good amount of market research behind their decision to distance themselves from the sportier offerings in the US market and homogenize the looks of everything. Sales skyrocketed, so I have to say they were right, unfortunately.

That's where the spin-off brands come in. They can begin catering to different interests in small quantities without upsetting the core purchasing voice that doesn't want their bland commuter image being disrupted.
Old 10-06-19, 02:42 PM
DocBaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Uzz32 soarer

[QUOTE=kaban1993;8316741]I am absolutely blown away by the UZZ32. The technology that thing had was so advanced for its time that a lot of cars still dont have it to this day. Some of the features I found very intersting were the automatic folding mirrors, and the digital gauge AND the digital radio and ac!! Im mad bc since we are lexus owners we should have those options over a toyota It even has four wheel steering and an active suspension!!! im seriously blown away by this car. There was only 873 ever made.

anyways i found a video showing the car... enjoy youll never look at your car the same

[/QUOTE I have owned one since 2000, a 19 year love affair, if you would like to see pictures or video of my car please don't hesitate to send me a request.
Old 10-06-19, 05:11 PM
KahnBB6

That is beautiful!! I like the addition of the dual twin tail pipe mufflers!

I have a special request actually... can you post a few detail pictures of the rear wing mounted backup camera? I've been very curious about that system for some time now as it seems to be the perfect place on SC's and standard Soarers to fit an aftermarket backup camera with plenty of room inside the 1991-1996 style factory wing to conceal the camera and wiring to make it flush and OEM-like. Specifically I'm trying to determine if that little additional window for the camera is a critical part of if a flush mount rear camera with a hole specially drilled for it would be sufficient. I'm also interested in the angle of the OEM UZZ32 backup camera's lens.

Feel free to post more pictures of your beautiful 32! An incredibly rare and special car indeed
Old 10-07-19, 10:12 PM
DocBaz
Driver School Candidate

Default My UZZ32

Under the Hood.
[QUOTE=DocBaz;10629197]
Originally Posted by kaban1993
I am absolutely blown away by the UZZ32. The technology that thing had was so advanced for its time that a lot of cars still dont have it to this day. Some of the features I found very intersting were the automatic folding mirrors, and the digital gauge AND the digital radio and ac!! Im mad bc since we are lexus owners we should have those options over a toyota It even has four wheel steering and an active suspension!!! im seriously blown away by this car. There was only 873 ever made.

anyways i found a video showing the car... enjoy youll never look at your car the same

Toyota Soarer V8 UZZ32 Presentation Active Suspension 4WS Exhaust Interior Features - YouTube[/QUOTE I have owned one since 2000, a 19 year love affair, if you would like to see pictures or video of my car please don't hesitate to send me a request.
More Pictures of my UZZ32 Soarer V8 4WS Active Suspension.
Old 10-07-19, 10:14 PM
DocBaz
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=DocBaz;10629197]
Originally Posted by kaban1993
I am absolutely blown away by the UZZ32. The technology that thing had was so advanced for its time that a lot of cars still dont have it to this day. Some of the features I found very intersting were the automatic folding mirrors, and the digital gauge AND the digital radio and ac!! Im mad bc since we are lexus owners we should have those options over a toyota It even has four wheel steering and an active suspension!!! im seriously blown away by this car. There was only 873 ever made.

Toyota Soarer V8 UZZ32 Presentation Active Suspension 4WS Exhaust Interior Features - YouTube[/QUOTE I have owned one since 2000, a 19 year love affair, if you would like to see pictures or video of my car please don't hesitate to send me a request.

Old 10-07-19, 10:15 PM
DocBaz
Driver School Candidate

[QUOTE=DocBaz;10630371]
Originally Posted by DocBaz

LHS Active Suspension

Quick Reply: Toyota Soarer UZZ32 SHOCKED!