SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DDM Tuning order options

Old 12-01-13, 03:18 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DDM Tuning order options

I asked this in the Lighting section but didnt get any answers in a day and a half so I'm gonna ask here since there's more traffic..

Hey guys, I'm finally deciding to bite the bullet on some HID's. Doing some research it seems like DDM is the way to go. I realize I should expect a ~1 month shipping time, but for $30-40 I'm not going to complain.
I have also looked at the XenonDepot Extreme Digital HID Conversion kit with Philips bulbs, but as a student the $154.99 price tag is just high enough for me to decide against them (unless someone can really sway my opinion).

Anyways, there's a few ordering options on the DDM site that I'm not 100% on what to choose. I will be ordering the 35 watt, 4500K, 9006 bulb type (for my SC400). I hear the mounting brackets are recommended, so I'll be getting those. Do I need the 'Dual In, Dual Out HID Harness'? Do I need an 'Error Eliminator'? I dont believe I need any adaptor cables either? If someone could answer these 3 questions, barring any amazing sell-job on the XenonDepot kit I will be placing my order tonight!
Thanks guys!

I also just came across the KIDeXtra vendor black friday sale. Looks like a 5000K 9006 kit for ~$50. Any input on these?
Old 12-01-13, 03:33 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No need for dual in,dual out harness, error eliminator, nor adaptor cables.

All you need is ballast and bulbs and you're good to go.

If you do want a better quality / customer service look into Morimoto ballast/bulbs, they are still pretty pricey, but cheaper than Xenondepot. Plus they have a black friday/cyber monday sale going on.
Old 12-01-13, 04:51 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't remember where I bought my HID's from, but they came with bulbs and ballasts only. However, the 35W isn't very bright and I find that the light output is disappointing.
Old 12-01-13, 05:04 PM
lanning
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased the 55 watt 4500k for my low beam and they are great. I also ordered the 3000k 35 watt for my fogs. The lows work so well I dont even turn my fog lights on. I ordered them from ddm expecting a slow shipping time and less than quality packaging and that's exactly what I got. As far as the products I can't complain for the money they are great if you can wait for them to ship.
Old 12-01-13, 05:21 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
I asked this in the Lighting section but didnt get any answers in a day and a half so I'm gonna ask here since there's more traffic..

Hey guys, I'm finally deciding to bite the bullet on some HID's. Doing some research it seems like DDM is the way to go. I realize I should expect a ~1 month shipping time, but for $30-40 I'm not going to complain.
I have also looked at the XenonDepot Extreme Digital HID Conversion kit with Philips bulbs, but as a student the $154.99 price tag is just high enough for me to decide against them (unless someone can really sway my opinion).

Anyways, there's a few ordering options on the DDM site that I'm not 100% on what to choose. I will be ordering the 35 watt, 4500K, 9006 bulb type (for my SC400). I hear the mounting brackets are recommended, so I'll be getting those. Do I need the 'Dual In, Dual Out HID Harness'? Do I need an 'Error Eliminator'? I dont believe I need any adaptor cables either? If someone could answer these 3 questions, barring any amazing sell-job on the XenonDepot kit I will be placing my order tonight!
Thanks guys!

I also just came across the KIDeXtra vendor black friday sale. Looks like a 5000K 9006 kit for ~$50. Any input on these?
You don't need any of those, just the kit itself. I would suggest 5000k for a more white and clean look. 55w wouldn't hurt either. Lifetime warranty but customer service sucks and sometimes hit or miss with the quality. Shipping time is about 2-3 weeks.
Old 12-01-13, 05:27 PM
xxtoobsxx
Lexus Champion

I would toss in the relay harness too. so the hids are triggered by the bulb socket and draw power from the battery. so you don't get that flicker, or voltage drop or the one headlight that randomly turns off.
Old 12-01-13, 05:30 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought the 35W 4500 kit for my low beams and 3k 35w kit for the fogs. so far, i like them. they have been on the car for about a week and a half. I think the light output is great. i didnt go with the 55w because OEM HID's in most cars are 35w.

I have 6k's on my other car, and i prefer the 4500 a lot more
Old 12-01-13, 06:47 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Buy an adapter cable unless you want to cut off the factory 9006 plugs which I highly recommend against.
Old 12-01-13, 07:01 PM
Lead Lap

I picked mine up off amazon for about the same price as ddm. Got them from a distributor located in my state and they got here in like 2 days for 40.00. The kit included the brackets which was nice, also a good warranty.

I would suggest 5000k its not blue at all.
Old 12-01-13, 07:16 PM
1CleanSC
Driver

DDM Tuning absolutely sucks!! Worst customer experience by far. I had to exchange bulbs multiple times and come to find out they only make 9005/6 bulbs now (hybrid). They DO NOT make the individual bulbs now (9005 & 9006). The fitment is awful and would more than likely be susceptible to water leaks. I am in college as well and would recommend the XenonDepot kit. Like everyone else says, "you get what you pay for" and it is absolutely true. When you pay that extra money you will receive OEM quality bulbs and high grade ballasts. If you can't afford it now, then save. It's what my friends have told me and I will keep to it. In the end it's your decision, but just know what you are potentially getting yourself into.
Old 12-01-13, 07:48 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had my DDM Tuning HID kit for my headlights and fog lights for going 4 years now. Yes, going 4 years. And I've never had any issues whatsoever with it. Other than what's already included in the kit I didn't need anything else. I have 2 extra sets of bulbs with different Kelvins or colors to suit my mood, but I'm using 6000K right now for daily driving and they light up the light 100 times better than 8000K.
Old 12-01-13, 08:41 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'm gonna go with DDM cuz even if they fail they do have the lifetime warranty, and when the times comes to replace failing parts I may just be able to afford the XenonDepot kit at that time. A $40 loss wont be that big a deal if DDM doesnt work out.
As far as temperature, I wanted as close to the stock 4300K as possible, which in this case would be 4500K. As I understood the 5000K do have a hint of blue, but you guys are saying no? Does anyone have comparison pics between 4500K and 5000K?
Old 12-01-13, 08:54 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Luxor
Buy an adapter cable unless you want to cut off the factory 9006 plugs which I highly recommend against.
Thanks Luxor, this is exactly what I wanted to know. Dont wanna do any splicing, so I'll go ahead and get the adaptor too
Old 12-02-13, 02:06 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Thanks for all the input guys! I think I'm gonna go with DDM cuz even if they fail they do have the lifetime warranty, and when the times comes to replace failing parts I may just be able to afford the XenonDepot kit at that time. A $40 loss wont be that big a deal if DDM doesnt work out.
As far as temperature, I wanted as close to the stock 4300K as possible, which in this case would be 4500K. As I understood the 5000K do have a hint of blue, but you guys are saying no? Does anyone have comparison pics between 4500K and 5000K?
I run DDM 4500k low beams and they are pretty white and honestly what I'd refer people use.
I run 3000k fogs, but I have a pair of 4500k bulbs for my fogs from them sitting in my room cuz I keep toying with the idea of switching my fogs to hyper white.

Honestly, as far as there shipping goes it's hit or miss. I've ordered from them and had it appear in 5 days, and I've also waited 2-3 week's it depends, but if you're prepared for 2-3 weeks going in then you're fine, as sometimes they ship from China, othertimes, it's from Cali.

I've also been rolling DDM tuning for about 2 years, and never had a problem with them really. Yes, I've heard there customer service isn't the best, but like I've never really needed to used them over this time. I used to have 6k low beams and 6k fogs, but I didn't like how blue they were and switched to 4500k lows and 3k fogs, and it's a much better look IMO. Ordered some 4500k fogs but they are just sitting around my room like I said because I'm toying with the idea of switching them.

If you're worried, I'd say don't be, I haven't had a bad experience with them, and they are the cheapest supplier of HID's that I trust.
Old 12-02-13, 07:12 AM
Lead Lap

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-vs-6000k.html

this thread shows a little bit. The difference between 4500k and 5000k would be hard to tell apart, Either one is stock looking compared to what newer cars have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DDM Tuning order options