SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

junking your sc300

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-13, 10:28 AM
tritron
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default junking your sc300

I wonder if anyone had junked they sc300. How much did you guys get from junk yard ?
Old 11-16-13, 10:30 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're asking a forum of SC die hards if they've ever junked an SC? You know that's like gold on here. Have you missed all the SC restoration and 'bringing back from the dead' threads??
Old 11-16-13, 10:35 AM
1CleanSC
Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
You're asking a forum of SC die hards if they've ever junked an SC? You know that's like gold on here. Have you missed all the SC restoration and 'bringing back from the dead' threads??
PREACH!
Old 11-16-13, 11:10 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh God.
Even if it was broke and I had to get rid of it I would part out as much of it as I could here on the forums.
Junking it would probably only get you $500, and with a perfectly good engine and interior and tranny you could easily double that, plus putting the parts to good use in other SC's.
Junking one feels so sacrilegious.
Old 11-16-13, 03:03 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tritron
I wonder if anyone had junked they sc300. How much did you guys get from junk yard ?

*covers child's ears*
how can you say such a thing!?!
part it out if anything.
Old 11-16-13, 04:27 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Junking a car usually gets you $200-$400. Every junkyard is different though. Your best bet is to part it, then when nothing else sells on it, part whats leftover. Parting it can be a hassle and a long process, but net you more cash then if you just sold it whole. However if you sell it whole you get a lump sum of cash at once, reduce the head ache of multiple buyers and shipping etc... and perhaps save another SC from the junkyard, and it's always nice to see another SC on the road. I get fired up every time I see one.
Old 11-16-13, 05:11 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

I have to agree, don't junk it.

I recently found a 'non running' 92 with only 90 000 miles, I paid only $500 for it and it had tons of parts I needed.

So I was tempted to strip off what I needed, sell a few of what I didn't need and scrap the rest, but instead I did the right thing, I got it running, fixed it up, put some money into it, and flipped it to another SC fan.

last I saw it was cruising off into the Toronto sunset
Old 11-16-13, 11:24 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I agree about not junking these cars. They are not only more valuable parted out on the forums (or ebay) but they should be. Toyota/Lexus not only has less of the cosmetic parts in stock now-- many of the parts inventory systems some Lexus dealers now use can't find some oddball parts from the national inventory. The usual suspect dealers (Toyota or Lexus) can... but my point is that parting out the decommissioned vehicles still in circulation is a lot better all around.

Junkyard parts are often hit and miss by comparison.
Old 11-17-13, 05:11 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the verdict is in? Please don't junk it...if you're not going to restore it as others have stated, please try and part out? This way you'll get a lil money in your pocket, plus you'll be helping out other members with their parts collection, etc. But to answer your question, the junkyard will pay between 200-500 for "junk" cars-depending on your area? I like 1Willy1 approach...either way, GL and keep us posted?

steve
Old 11-17-13, 06:18 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

We simply just don't junk cars here, there are too many valuable parts on these cars for junk yard to make $$$$, I disassemble both of my previous rides and triple my cash! And then towed the frame on the flat bed to a metal recyclers and got even more cash
Old 11-17-13, 06:42 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ill let you know im going to be junking a shell in the next week or 2 since no one wants it.
Old 11-17-13, 08:04 AM
RaginLEXXX
Driver School Candidate

If he willing to junk it for 5 bills, someone pay him and bring her back to life.
Old 11-17-13, 11:37 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope he knows that the early sc's are becoming a classic, and I already know a collector has a manual sc in his collection as we speak.
plus all the soarers are almost ready to be shipped from japan in 4 years
Old 11-17-13, 12:26 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
I hope he knows that the early sc's are becoming a classic, and I already know a collector has a manual sc in his collection as we speak.
plus all the soarers are almost ready to be shipped from japan in 4 years
Oh yes... this is a VERY big point. Stockhatch already has an 80's Soarer because it met the Federal DOT and EPA exemptions. 1991 Soarers will qualify soon. Next year we will begin seeing 1989 Skyline R32 GT-R's imported to the US legally.

The boon we have at the moment is the number or 1st gen SC's in circulation. There are plenty of rarer model sportscars and GT's that aren't so well known that have a serious shortage of replacement parts.

Something I took for granted when I owned a classic Mustang was the availability of reproduction parts-- still an option for most of the popular old muscle cars from the late 60's-- through companies like National Parts Depot. I'm still surprised that there isn't a company that at least will start making reproduction factory parts for the MKIV Supra and MKIII RX-7, let alone the 92-00 SC.
Old 11-17-13, 12:46 PM
Dream36
Pole Position

There are companies that make repro parts and aftermarket parts for the rx7 family. Mostly the first gen and the FD. The problem is even now after 30 years the market doesn't do well. Black dragon makes 90% of their money from classiz z's and maybe 10% from the SA/FB. Keep in mind the company has changed hands three times since the turn of milenium. Now with the FD hitting premiums near where they sold at (think fully customized, a roller still fetches $6k-$15k), the parts become more available as small companies try to cheat the market. There is so much crap on the market for the 90's imports that you can make a one if a kind car on the cheap etc. I have a website on my PC that has body panels from the rx7, Soarer, supra, etc, but they aren't cheap, for example a sa22c front fender is $600 while they can be had for $25 used. If my frame hadn't pretzel'd after my accident I would kept the car, I still miss that huge v8 power in the lightest car I ever seen (1925lbs with me and 1/2 tank).

Don't scrap the car, strip it to the frame/chassis and give the rest away if you can't sell it. Eventually someone will need those parts. If you have a pass side fender, I could use one as mine was hit bad last year

Quick Reply: junking your sc300