SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Wanted To Share This, Helps Me Feel Better...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-13, 03:04 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wanted To Share This, Helps Me Feel Better...

I apologize for this long post, but this will definitely make me feel that much better. As you read, you'll understand from what.

First, I'll share these pictures with you guys first before I tell the story. I'm asking you what you think happened as I am curious what the pictures can tell.

Don't forget your answer! I really want to know before you read on....

Here's the story.

So on Oct 11th, I got into an accident. It was minor, probably will only cost $200 - $400 to fix. I have a legit Vertex front bumper. Following a white Ford Ranger pick-up coming up to a stop sign, I could only assume he stopped too far forward, it was a rainy day. Knewing that something like that could be possible, he had roughly a quarter to half car length between my SC and his truck if he needed to back up. By the chances of that probability, he actually did threw his truck into reverse. As soon as he reversed, I kept an eye. As he got a bit too close for comfort at a "unreasonable" speed, I got on the horn. At this point he has gotten TOO CLOSE. I attempted to throw my SC into reverse but my W58 has been having issues going into reverse occasionally without having to roll forward a bit. So I stayed on the horn. Two seconds later, his truck is on top of my bumper. As I kept calm and put the brakes on to exit out my car, he pulls forward. I literally had to jump back in and give burst shots of the horn again for him to stop. He then exits his vehicle with a lost look on his face. I quote myself "you backed into man". He looks at me and at the damage, didn't say NOTHING but had a face as if it was actually nothing. A county police officer just so happened to be at the intersection when it occured. He made the turn onto the street we were on and asked if everything was fine and if we were able to trade information. I told the officer we could but I preferred he do it, as he is an officer. He was fine with that. While the officer was writing our informations on the paper he later gave each of us, I took those pictures. My car NEVER moved, the truck pulled forward after the collision. The cop gave us the papers and license back, went about our day.

I made a claim to my insurance, Geico, that night via online. I got the call from Geico the next day being a Saturday. Told them what happened, recorded my statement, etc. Off the bat, the lady from Geico said because of how much details I was able to provide, they were going to say the other driver was at fault. A couple days later, the other guys insurance, 21st Century/ State Farm, calls me for the same. However, they sided with their driver as he told his insurance that I rear ended him. I got defensive when the agent said that but I understood why they took his side. At this point, I'm like f--- this, I want a new bumper now.

I submitted those photos to my insurance agent Geico assigned my claim to. As I mentioned, the county police officer was at the scene at the time and may have seen the accident. Also to mention, a metro bus, there is a bus stop within 5 feet of where we were. The bus driver or the surveillance cam may have caught it.

Times goes by trying to get evidence. Today, I managed to call someone at the WMATA (Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority) which provides the public bus transportation for the DC Metro area. Unfortunately, they will not give me the video from the bus UNLESS the bus was involved in the accident... that was a blow. Later on in the day after I got off work, I went to the police station that the officer worked out of. I didn't get the officer but I talked to the clerk. She was the nicest PD clerk I have EVER talked to btw. She looked up the police report number the officer gave me. Unfortunately, that report just says what the officer did in that "encounter with the public" which was JUST the exchange of information. The clerk said if he did saw something, it would've been in the report which it wasn't.... All possible evidence I had out the window. I usually have my GoPro 2 running as my dashcam which some of you may have seen the vid I posted showing the deer I barely scathe. Unfortunately, the battery was DEAD dead.

The clerk told me a story of her accident she recently had. Knowing the law, she said basically the position I am in now is probably the best it is going to get. No one gets paid anything, no win or loss. Otherwise, I'll be found at fault by default.

So now I can't win this battle and have to accept everything as it is.

Here's what is REALLY getting to me and I CANNOT comprehend... I am 26 years old as of the 27th. The other guy is 60 year old. That old and you are lying? Are you kidding me? It's just simply pathetic. Let alone I am being lied upon where I am at a loss. I can care less if someone tells me they are somewhere other than where they are actually are. But this kind of damn lie, REALLY pisses me off. It's not the accident, not the damage to my expensive bumper that is only 3 months old, but the lie. Honestly, nothing has ever gotten to me like this.

This is my first accident ever since I got my driver's license in 2006. Technically second but the first was simply settled personally without insurance involvement, going to a massive car meet in my other car and getting rear ended.

And it gets me thinking how many honest people there are out there. I rather be told the truth than a lie. I'll be pissed, of course. But being lied to will make me even more pissed off. I wouldn't even do this type of s---.

After all this, to help myself feel better, I reminded myself of this...
One day that I will never forget was I think in May of 2010. Anyways, 9am, three lane roadway. I was in the right lane, a gold Mercedes C class behind me, a 16 year old girl in a green pre-2000 Honda Accord in the middle lane followed by a female in her mid-20's driving a possibly 2005 or so bronze Honda Accord with a baby in the back seat and a 90's SL driven by a lady in her 50's in the left lane. -- The lady in the 90's SL in the left lane, we were all coming to a yellow light. She was behind an SUV and was in somewhat of a rush. She cuts in front of the female in the bronze Accord wanting to miss the red light. I best guest she didn't know that the 16 year old girl in the green Accord was in that lane and was stopping for the red light. The lady in the 90's SL came to an abrupt stop ALMOST rear ending the young girl. However, the female in the bronze Accord couldn't stop in time to make up what the lady in the SL did. She ends up rear ending the SL, then the SL into the 16 year old girls' Accord. I got out of my car to see if the 16 year old girl was ok, then the lady in the SL was fine but seeing how damaged the bronze Accord was, I told the 16 year old girl to go ahead and call 911 incase someone was actually hurt. The guy driving the Mercedes behind me assisted as well. I noticed a county police behind us all as traffic was going around us. I approached her and first thing she said was that we needed to get out the road way. I wanted to say *****! I told her I didn't know if anyone is hurt but for sure one car isn't going to move on its own. That ***** officer, she didn't assist in anything whatsoever. By the time, the fire department came to check out the scene as well as another county police who actually did their job and understood the situation worse case. After everyone checked out fine, we started moving our cars to the lot right there to clear traffic. Hilarious as it is, the bronze Accord actually rolled into the Mercedes that was behind me causing a small dent to the front driver's fender. Anyways, we got into the lot and the two officers we're questioning and taking down notes. As I was a witness WHO STAYED AND WANTED TO FURTHER HELP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE and knowing how unfortunate this situation may turn out, I told the officer what I saw. The lady in the SL cut off the bronze Accord wanting to miss the red light but abruptly came to a stop. The female in the bronze Accord clearly, by my judgement, did not have enough room or time to act accordingly for that lady's action to avoid a collision. The female in the bronze Accord is NOT at fault, I told the officers. I knew if I didn't give that witness statement, the female in the bronze Accord would've been found at fault which would've been wrong. The lady ithat was in the SL heard me tell the officers that and jumped in saying she didn't cut no one off, that she wasn't in the wrong. I clearly saw what happened, I'm a witness, what would I get for lying? Nothing. About a week or two goes by. I get this random call during the afternoon while driving. I answered it. "Is this Chai?", "yes it is", "we're Amanda's (I believe was her name, the 16 year old girls'] parents, we're just calling to thank you for what you did, helped her out when she was in that accident with her being a new driver and all", "aww thanks, no problems, is everything going well?" I asked. "Everything is going good............ thanks again!" Just getting that call really made me feel soo good, knowing that I helped out even though I didn't have to. Like everyone else that day, I could've just drove off.

Only if this happened to me would make the biggest difference in how my case ends...

As of today, I have a dedicated dashcam I bought to replace my GoPro and the hassle it has. I'm hoping to somehow wire it up so it doesn'y occupy my cigarette lighter. DVR207 from ebay, so far so good for $60. Auto-loop recording in 2, 5 and 10 min intervals with no gap, picture quality is good, auto-start up recording when powered. Next person at fault to f--- me over, if they lie, the dashcam vid will be pulled out as a surprise.

I heavily suggest you guys get a dashcam. Whether you drive a 1 of 1 or a cardboard box with casters, get one. You'll never know.

I apologize for a long read, hopefully interesting. This really does make me feel that much better over my situation. It may be nothing to you. It would be nothing to me too if that other driver did not lie. The lie is the killer. He can knock on my door and tell me straight up he doesn't want to pay, I can forgive him and forget about this whole thing.... but not a lie.

Last edited by TheAzn; 10-30-13 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-30-13, 04:48 AM
HellaDope
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

by the looks of the pictures this isnt the guys first accident with that ranger
Old 10-30-13, 05:21 AM
mecheng10
Lead Lap

great post man.
it sucks to hear that ranger pulled a stunt on you, but what do you expect? In this day and age very few people have common courtesy, and they only want to look out for themselves.
Just remember how it felt to be the one getting owned, and never let someone get owned again since you know first hand how it feels!
Someone backing up into me ahs happened too. They always pretend to never hit the horn.
Old 10-30-13, 07:17 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

hope everything gets resolved. Can't stand people like the guy in the ranger.

I can relate to you though, living in the DMV area...defensive driving is a must at all times. we let our guards down for a second and that's when something can happen!
Old 10-30-13, 07:44 AM
Lead Lap

The whole situation with the cop has me a bit confused? No report and why couldn't you get a statement from him or have the insurance company contact him?

Anyway it could have been worse seeing how close he got to that carbon fiber.
Old 10-30-13, 07:58 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

What a creep. Had a similair accident last year. Except my Dad was the one to experience it.

He was in his 99 miata which was his DD at the time. (customized a little bit) He was in a parking complex and a Toyota Tundra started to back up.. (My Dad was cornered in between cars BTW) My Dad layed on the horn, but the Tundra kept going and ran his hitch into the front bumper. A big ol' hole in the bumper now. My Dad came out of his car to exchange information. The Tundra driver (or lack thereof) told my Dad they were going to pull to the side to exchange information. He got in his truck, and in the parking lot, with people, he peeled out and cranked away. My Dad got his liscense plate number, but yet again, you need PROOF. They do get annoying...

Sorry to hear you were one of the victims...but then again things could have been a lot worse.
Old 10-30-13, 08:32 AM
VEGAS2JSC
Rookie

dang what a dirty old man thats jacked up dude sorry to hear that happened to you. sucks there are people out there like this.
Old 10-30-13, 08:57 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 187
The whole situation with the cop has me a bit confused? No report and why couldn't you get a statement from him or have the insurance company contact him?

Anyway it could have been worse seeing how close he got to that carbon fiber.
Not sure if the law is just county or state wide but an officer is not suppose to judge the accident unless s/he actually saw the accident happen. Unfortunately in my case he didn't.

I have no idea why my insurance did not try to contact him, gave the officers name, badge and which district he worked out of. I had to go find him myself, same with the bus.

I'm guessing the claim is going to be closed within the next few days resulting in nothing on either end. Get my bumper repaired perfectly and go
about my life. I can't make no guarantees though that I'm not going to exchange words with the guy if I ever see him again. He actually lives four streets over from me. And for sure because of all this, I am expecting to get a call saying he's claiming injury. That will definately be huge issue. Hopefully that will not happen but the possibilities are there.

Last edited by TheAzn; 10-30-13 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-30-13, 09:19 AM
1CleanSC
Driver

My assumption before I read:

Guy backed up on you (with you in the car) couldn't see you because you're car was "Hella Low".
Old 10-30-13, 10:28 AM
Lead Lap

I Just figured if the cop was there the guy would have said that he did it at some point so the officer could corroborate the story. I guess it depends where you live, but if you know where the guy lives you could atleast confront him for being a....
Old 10-30-13, 12:31 PM
soarer13oy
Lexus Champion

I had a similar accident. A honda civic decides to change lanes at a stop light and throws it into reverse with me behind him. As soon as i saw the lights i started honking but the car kept coming. In just a few seconds my freshly painted/repaired shine auto bumper was cracked. Good thing the driver was honest so i got paid. You've already filed the claim with your insurance so just let them take care of it.
Old 10-30-13, 01:02 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah man I had my vertex front lip pained and mounted and got towed less than a month later.
Car was way too low for them to tow it without screwing the bumper.
Of course when I go there to pick it up there is a clear scrape in the dirt and a pile of mud in front of my car from where the front lip plowed through the dirt when they dropped it.
Took plenty of picture then backed the car up and lo and behold theres a huge crack in the bumper, less than a month old. Of course they wouldn't accept fault for it, because I didnt have any pictures of the car the minute before they towed it, never mind I had pictures that were less than 3 days old from a car meet. The owner was complete scum and treated me like a criminal for even bringing up the damages that were caused.

He claimed my car was inspected before they towed and any damage was documented, but of course they conveniently no longer had the pictures they took of the supposed damage they documented. Dude was complete scum, and of course a lawyer would cost me more than buying a new lip and having it painted and fitted.
There are so many scummy people in this country who run from the consequences of their actions whenever they get the chance and it's not long-term healthy behavior for our society. It saddens me that there are people like this old guy who ruined your front bumper, or the lady in the SL who willingly ruined the vehicles of two other people and tried to shirk her responsibility to those people while attempting to hide behind insurance law about rear endings, and it saddens me that people like this own tow companies and use every trick in the book to cover their inability to tow a car without damaging it.
I've only ever been in one at fault accident and the first thing I did after asking if the other party was okay was admit my fault and work with them to exchange information as quick as I could. I've been rear-ended twice and both times the other driver instantly hopped out and verbally assaulted me and tried to blame me and I was forced to call the police both times. I'll never understand the how we as a country have managed to create so many people who are such scum. It says a lot about us as a whole doesn't it?
Old 10-30-13, 01:03 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Because of the conflicting statements, nothing much my insurance can do other than not
pay. I have just liability btw. I don't think full coverage is well worth it given the fact the cars value.

Trust me, I want to go knock on his door. Vandalism, etc. Even though it'll make
me feel even better, I'm holding myself from doing so.
Old 10-30-13, 02:32 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I could imagine he didn't see your car because its probably so much higher than your car, but nonetheless the guy should be taking responsibility for this
Old 10-30-13, 04:02 PM
1998SC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad about your car, and now the hassle to get it fixed. As a few have commented here it is a shame that a large percentage of people will not do the right thing and accept responsibility- they just seem to freeze up when in an accident and deny ownership. In my time I have had a couple of fender benders and I was amazed at the lies that were thrown out- I learned that as soon as it happens you need to look around and see if anyone witnessed the event as this will likely be your only protection if it is just your word against the other person's.

You are doing the right thing to get that GoPro up and running for the future- kind of makes me sad though as it seems more and more people are ----bags anymore. I can still recall how angry I got years ago in Seattle when I was parked in a lot and a crappy old van pulled up next to me and parked too close. The door flew open and smacked my door. I held it back and asked the woman to have a quick word with her kid about throwing doors open and damaging other peoples property. Her response: I should have had body trim mouldings on the sides of my "cheap" car anyhow; she did not have insurance so it was worthless for me to "try anything"; and "I don't care". She was, of course, morbidly obese and after these remarks I knew this loser was always on the offensive, which is always the technique of long-term angry white trash.

I assure you I was at least as angry as you. I thought to myself the best way to even up the karma here would have been to let her waddle away, circle back and quickly remove the valve stem and let the air out from one of her van's tires. Some people only understand force as reason and fairness is lost on them. And of course the real tragedy is the lesson her kid took away from this.

Quick Reply: Wanted To Share This, Helps Me Feel Better...