SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How do you guys feel about color changes on sc's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 03:22 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How do you guys feel about color changes on sc's?

Just wondering how the community feels about changing colors on sc's.

Right not i have a 97 sc3 that is classic green pearl, the paint isn't horrible but its needs a paint job to fix various small dents and scratches from the previous owner. I am kind of tired of looking at green ( other sc before this was also green), also its its part of the 120 manuals. I don't really want to ruin it so I figured I would ask you guys what you think.
Old 10-01-13, 03:39 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow.. i cant belive this is even a question. RJP. royal jade pearl . look on toyota motor co. on inside of driver door has color and trim code next to CL/TR:

anything else than original color on a 97 5spd is an unspeakable crime.. i'm pretty sure an angelic SC will loose it's wings if you do. only if you repaint it RJP and gte swap i think they might grow back, I could be wrong....
Old 10-01-13, 03:44 PM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCstone
wow.. i cant belive this is even a question. RJP. royal jade pearl . look on toyota motor co. on inside of driver door has color and trim code next to CL/TR:

anything else than original color on a 97 5spd is an unspeakable crime.. i'm pretty sure an angelic SC will loose it's wings if you do. only if you repaint it RJP and gte swap i think they might grow back, I could be wrong....
I don't quite get the first part of your response, but thanks for the input.
Old 10-01-13, 03:55 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

first I stated my shock on this question.
then I corrected you on the color. RJP = Royal Jade Pearl
then I told you how to find the color code of your car.

second part explains the importance on originality on a 97 5spd... it should be the color of whats on the toyota motor co. plate on inside of door.
Old 10-01-13, 04:29 PM
SportC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree if you want a different color SC find one with the color you want. A high quality paint job is expensive enough repainting it the stock color. If you change the color to properly paint it you must repaint the door jams, engine bay, ect.. If it were me I get the best factory paint I could afford and if I couldn't afford it I wouldn't paint it until I could with any SC especially a 120 club one. Remember though it's your car do what makes you happy just don't do anything you'll regret. Good Luck
Old 10-01-13, 05:53 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Actually his color is Classic Green Pearl. The Royal Jade Pear came with older SC's.

If you're spending the money to repaint the car I'd go with whatever color you want. Maybe a nice black, red, or blue would be good. Will you be painting the engine bay and door jams too?
Old 10-01-13, 07:28 PM
SCstone
Pole Position

well that sucks.. I assumed it was RJP i thought the royal pearls were on the later SC's.

on a jewel like this you want to keep the original color especially if it's a specialty color.
any collector/restorationist/enthusiast knows this....

as an example.. take a 69' Charger and the original color was Charger Orange. and you paint it blue you are goanna get a few snickers if somone looks at the original color code.. original color has more value. same thing if you repaint a 97 RSP 5spd another color. it's just wong. its all in factory rarity...

the only thing that really matters is you make it how you would want it, you could put pink flames on it and it's still a 97 5spd... I'd take original color anyday on something this rare... no worry about all the hard to reach places like door jams or ripping out a motor and 80% of the interior just to get it all done and look right.

Last edited by SCstone; 10-02-13 at 01:14 AM.
Old 10-01-13, 08:22 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Color change depreciates value of the car in my book, but the car and money is yours soo.....
If you're going to sell it down the road paint it original color, if you're keeping it like me FO-LIFE--YO,
then paint it the color you can't live without, just don't do pink
Old 10-01-13, 10:29 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

It was a pretty easy decision to keep our '92 original SSM (Silver Spruce Metallic) color when I had it repainted. Avoiding door jams and engine bay having to be painted kept the cost down, too. Plus, I liked the color and saw no need to change it (other than a few more coats of clear to make it "pop').

It is your car and your money so in the end do what is right for you..... The dark green when well kept is a great color and having one of the 120 is very fortunate.

Pictures now would be a treat and whatever direction you go pictures of the after would be great, too....
Old 10-01-13, 11:27 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I also have a classic green pearl 97 5spd! And I also had it re-painted less then a year ago. The paint shop used some nice glossy clear coat over the CGP and the car looks amazing when its clean! I would never change the color from the original.
Old 10-01-13, 11:43 PM
Klesk
Driver School Candidate

I guess I will keep my 97 5spd white and original also when I decide to repaint too ^^

I was thinking about black but seems like much better keeping it original.
Old 10-02-13, 02:28 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by SCstone
well that sucks.. I assumed it was RJP i thought the royal pearls were on the later SC's.

on a jewel like this you want to keep the original color especially if it's a specialty color.
any collector/restorationist/enthusiast knows this....

as an example.. take a 69' Charger and the original color was Charger Orange. and you paint it blue you are goanna get a few snickers if somone looks at the original color code.. original color has more value. same thing if you repaint a 97 RSP 5spd another color. it's just wong. its all in factory rarity...

the only thing that really matters is you make it how you would want it, you could put pink flames on it and it's still a 97 5spd... I'd take original color anyday on something this rare... no worry about all the hard to reach places like door jams or ripping out a motor and 80% of the interior just to get it all done and look right.
Yeah, I think they quit using RJP in 95 or 96. There is also the Imperial Jade Mica green which looks pretty good too.

I would only do a color change is if I could paint the door jams and engine bay. Otherwise I would go with a respray of the factory color or maybe a different shade of the same color.

Original color definitely has more value like you said. As long as he doesn't sell the car it shouldn't matter but it is something to really take into consideration on a rare car.
Old 10-02-13, 06:47 AM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah factory repaint, forget those other crazy colors,i almost Painted my car RSP but i decided against it.
Old 10-02-13, 07:35 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Smile

Originally Posted by Maserati
Yeah factory repaint, forget those other crazy colors,i almost Painted my car RSP but i decided against it.
I almost did the same thing. It would have been easier to just buy an RSP SC than to tear apart the car to repaint it.

Throwing in some cool colored flakes in the paint would be cool. If I ever repaint ny black SC I'll do a different shade of black with pink flakes in it.
Old 10-02-13, 07:52 AM
Lead Lap

I would definitely be staying away from the engine bay, I guess it really depends how much goes into it before paint work starts.

Quick Reply: How do you guys feel about color changes on sc's?