SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Urgent! Battery tie down shorted out positive terminal

Old 09-07-13, 08:44 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Urgent! Battery tie down shorted out positive terminal

I installed a brand new battery and terminals the other day. Today when I left for work, the car started losing all power. Then randomly I'd get power and it'd start moving again. Did this a few more times in the parking lot. I was in the process of making a left turn onto a busy street so I was trying to wait to pull over. Next thing I know smoke is pouring out of the hood.

Popped the hood only to find the battery tie down MELTED onto the wingnut on the positive battery terminal. I was able to pull the tie down off of the battery terminal. Now when I go to try and start my car, it does nothing. When I turn the key, the check engine light, battery light and oil pressure light are lit up. That is it. If I turn it to the ON or ACC position, my radio will kind of turn on and I think I get another light or two on the dash that are very dim.

When the car was being towed I accidentally left the ignition on. Every bump we hit the passenger side headlight and turn signal would flash/blink. Not sure if that means anything...

I'm going to go ahead and pull the battery off tomorrow and take the battery in to get it tested. Maybe the battery just has a dead short in it but I'm thinking it's something more serious than that... I tried searching couldn't find much granted I was on my phone waiting for tow truck. Anybody have any ideas on what could be the problem? What I can try and diagnose and rule out?

Last edited by Lexusexus; 09-07-13 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-08-13, 12:26 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the relays and fuses.

And check all the cables under the hood. It could have fried other parts of various wires...
Old 09-08-13, 07:57 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What he said. Double check all the fuses and relays. See if any relays are hot when the car is off. If it is, double check all your grounds. I might have the complete tie down and battery tray if you need it. GL On yours search and keep us posted.
Old 09-08-13, 12:38 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Yeah I'm about to run to Sears and exchange the battery and grab a voltmeter while I'm there. Hopefully they still honor the exchange. I'm not going to mention the tie down hitting it just going to say "I don't know what the hell happened".

Are there any fuse-able links on this car and where would they be located? Also any ideas on WHAT to search for? I feel like every time I've searched I didn't find anything related to my issue.
Old 09-08-13, 02:01 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hmm interesting got any pics? I dont see how a battery tie down can "short out your postivie terminal" , tie downs are metal. Unless your talking about the plastic strap some batteries come with that melted? But even those can take heat. You sure no positive and negatives are touching or accidentally switch on the wrong post? Recheck everything.... fluids, grounds etc...make sure everything is on nice and tight sounds like you had a small fire or something.
Old 09-08-13, 10:15 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Hmm interesting got any pics? I dont see how a battery tie down can "short out your postivie terminal" , tie downs are metal. Unless your talking about the plastic strap some batteries come with that melted? But even those can take heat. You sure no positive and negatives are touching or accidentally switch on the wrong post? Recheck everything.... fluids, grounds etc...make sure everything is on nice and tight sounds like you had a small fire or something.
The metal bracket on the tie down moved to the left and got stuck to the wingnut on the positive battery terminal. The bracket is attached to the chassis which is grounded.

I took the battery back today and it tested fine.

Multimeter read 12.6v when I checked it myself. It started raining so I had to stop for the day. Was really hoping it'd be the battery.
Old 09-08-13, 11:31 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexusexus
The metal bracket on the tie down moved to the left and got stuck to the wingnut on the positive battery terminal. The bracket is attached to the chassis which is grounded.

I took the battery back today and it tested fine.

Multimeter read 12.6v when I checked it myself. It started raining so I had to stop for the day. Was really hoping it'd be the battery.
I figured hat how it happened. I'm nervous about my own tie down when I saw it, guess I should fix it before this happens.

Just thinking trying to help you narrow down your issue, since the tie down was the only conductive material to cause this, it could be just the battery.

I've had customers that had intermittent electrical faults from such batteries even though the batteries tested good.
Old 09-09-13, 03:14 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by TheAzn
I figured hat how it happened. I'm nervous about my own tie down when I saw it, guess I should fix it before this happens.

Just thinking trying to help you narrow down your issue, since the tie down was the only conductive material to cause this, it could be just the battery.

I've had customers that had intermittent electrical faults from such batteries even though the batteries tested good.
That's what I tried explaining at Sears but they refused to exchange it for me since it "tested good". I really don't want to spend another $120 on another battery only to find out my problem still exists. And I don't really know anybody locally that I could borrow a battery from.
Old 09-13-13, 05:29 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Battery tested good still holding over 12v... I replaced the AM1, ALT, AM2 and MAIN fuses, nothing changed. My buddy noticed when I turn the key on, there is a clicking sound near the fuel rail area so I believe the AM2 circuit is still working just not the AM1.

Any other suggestions or things to look into? I've got to get this car running soon!
Old 09-14-13, 12:15 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Sigh... BUMP
Old 09-14-13, 01:02 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

When my battery shorted out it blew the ignitor on my 2jz-gte and a few of the big fuses.
Old 09-14-13, 02:07 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Originally Posted by fried_rice
When my battery shorted out it blew the ignitor on my 2jz-gte and a few of the big fuses.
I replaced all the big fuses and the igniter doesn't have anything to do with the accessories. I do have a spare one but it's off a 97' Automatic so I don't know if it'd work on my car.

Like I said I'm pretty sure the fuel/ignition is getting power through the AM2 circuit but none of the accessories are powering on which is controlled by the AM1.
Old 09-14-13, 02:35 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Maybe try pulling the fuses and checking to see if power is going to the fuse box with a volt meter.
Old 09-15-13, 04:22 PM
Lexusexus
Rookie

Yeah I'll check that out tomorrow. Hopefully my AM1 circuit isn't getting power so that would at least narrow it down I'd hope.

This rain out here in Colorado has really been killing me. Can't work on the car and I can't get around anywhere cause my other ride is a motorcycle.
Old 09-16-13, 12:58 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

CO has been in the news.... 130+ miles flooded, etc.

If you can borrow a battery from something, doesnt have to be the battery size that fit your car. See what happens, maybe the battery from the motorcycle. That way you can rule out a hidden battery issue. ECU could be fried as well...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Urgent! Battery tie down shorted out positive terminal