SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

92 SC300 Fan Clutch Bearing went bad

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 06:50 PM
MasterLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC300 Fan Clutch Bearing went bad

I own a 92 Lexus SC300 and a 98 Lexus SC300 both are White. Just last night I noticed this weird sound that can be heard a few seconds after the ignition is turn off. I grinding sound, I knew it wasn't normal. So I open the hood and turn the fan clutch clockwise and its the culprit. Anyhow, Called around for a new Fan Clutch, was given the options of China brand, Brazil brand!? and also Japan. I went with the Japan brand which cost the most. $199.92.

It came in that day as well, so I put it on, tighten everything down, used my old drivebelt because it's still new (replaced 1 month ago).

Started up the car, noticed a 200% difference in how much air it produces while spinning. Also when the idle, it's super quite you'll think the motor is off. Anyhow, when you slightly gas it, it's super loud, 200% louder than the old one. I actually like the massive amount of air that it produce when you gas the pedal.

Why is it so loud? Is that normal for new fan clutch? Yes it bolts onto the waterpump.
Old 09-06-13, 10:24 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It really shouldn't create a "loud" sound. In fact, I've never noticed a loud sound when it's engaged or when the engine is on. Can you definitely pinpoint with the hood open that the loud sound is coming from the fan clutch?
Old 09-07-13, 01:24 PM
MasterLEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
It really shouldn't create a "loud" sound. In fact, I've never noticed a loud sound when it's engaged or when the engine is on. Can you definitely pinpoint with the hood open that the loud sound is coming from the fan clutch?
Its definitely the fan clutch that went bad. First instinct, took off the drive belt, unbolt the fan clutch then remove it fro mm yhe car, spun it around you can feel the fan clutch bearing being bad. Doesnt turn smooth. Anyhow, the problem is fixed already by putting on a new fan clutch, the question I have now is, this japan oem fan clutch blows 200% more air than the old one did. Theres no noise other than the fan noise is what i meant. If you were to stand outside the car near the rear passenger quarternpanel, as I slightly gas the gas pedal, you can feel how powerful the new fan clutch pushes air. It can be felt really well standing that far away. Its much more louder as in the air is produces with the new fan clutch, was wondering if this was normal. I cant complain, it cools the engine area 200% more due to the massive air it blows into the engine bay. Never experience this before, this is comibg from a guy that installed about 16 oem fan clutches a year on domestic and import cars/trucks. Just never seen it produce this much of air.