SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New and needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 05:52 PM
Bigd128
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and needs advice

First off hello everyone, I have been in the market for a whole for a lexus sc300/400. I'm coming from a lifted toyota 4runner. I'm a family man.

First off my wife and I have gone back and fourth cause she is worried since there old cars not good for a kid(we have a 2 year old) and not reliable. This will be my dd and my weekend driver as well.

First lexus sc300 I'm looking at is a 93 white, original owner stock everything. All maintenance has been done. It's my bosses. Has a 140k miles and well taking care of not a scratch on it. Asking 4000

Second lexus sc300 is a dark grey, beautiful 106k miles. Timing belt hasn't been done yet. Has a note from mechanic saying its fine till 120k. It was His moms car she passed than he took over. Both vehicles are immaculate. Asking 4500.

Now can anyone tell me how good these cars are and are they good for kids and daily drivers. Like I said I'm comin from a big vehicle. Sucks the hell out of has being lifted off road. Haven't sold my truck yet( I have a buyer). Any advice please thanks -bigd128

Note:been doing lots of reasearch but everyone says there old cars don't do it.
Old 07-18-13, 06:09 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you didn't post a year for the second sc300.

The dark grey sounds a little bit better based on the mileage, but if your overly concerned about reliability the white sc300 may be a better option if he has had all the proper work done.
Old 07-18-13, 06:11 PM
Bigd128
Driver School Candidate

Sorry the grey one is a 93 as well
Old 07-18-13, 07:10 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SC is a complete 180 to a 4 Runner. A 2 year old still has short legs which is a good thing. The back seats are very small with minimal room. The SC is a fun weekend car, and that's what my hopes are down the road. I've been driving my SC as a daily for 3 straight years. Reliable....well sorta. Are you good with following DIY instructions? We have an awesome forum full of 20 years worth threads for every single bolt on this car. The prices seem to be reasonable for the mileage. I would really try and search for a 5 speed to begin with. Stick around, share photos and information about the one you're looking for. We don't want you to end up with a Lemon (aka Tabaka car).
Old 07-18-13, 07:17 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those are pretty good mile numbers for being 93s. They are very reliable daily drivers especially if the maintenance has been done. Kids wont have no problems in the back

Last edited by Joey-E; 07-18-13 at 07:22 PM.
Old 07-18-13, 07:29 PM
Bigd128
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tabaka
SC is a complete 180 to a 4 Runner. A 2 year old still has short legs which is a good thing. The back seats are very small with minimal room. The SC is a fun weekend car, and that's what my hopes are down the road. I've been driving my SC as a daily for 3 straight years. Reliable....well sorta. Are you good with following DIY instructions? We have an awesome forum full of 20 years worth threads for every single bolt on this car. The prices seem to be reasonable for the mileage. I would really try and search for a 5 speed to begin with. Stick around, share photos and information about the one you're looking for. We don't want you to end up with a Lemon (aka Tabaka car).
I totally understand, been looking for a 5 speed nothing :/. But yes I like to do all my work myself. Idk how to post pics or I would have.
Old 07-18-13, 07:30 PM
Bigd128
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Those are pretty good mile numbers for being 93s. They are very reliable daily drivers especially if the maintenance has been done. Kids wont have no problems in the back
Which would u go with? I like the miles on the grey and I like the color. He says the trunk springs need to be replaced and the light on odometer doesn't work. The white one no known problem but more mileage and the wheels are ugly on it.
Old 07-18-13, 08:30 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigd128
Which would u go with? I like the miles on the grey and I like the color. He says the trunk springs need to be replaced and the light on odometer doesn't work. The white one no known problem but more mileage and the wheels are ugly on it.
It sounds like you have already made your mind up with the silver spruce. However I would deduct the amount in which it will cost you to fix/replace the parts. Timing belt/water pump will cost at least $1000 from a shop.
Old 07-18-13, 08:41 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

The grey one for sure.... Lot's of white SCs out there already. Mechanical issues at this age will always be present even with faithful maintenance.

My '92 was the DD for my wife and later my son and together they amassed over 175K when it was given back to me in 2011; it was not taken care of very well as it parked outside for 7 years when my son had it.

I have over $6K in repairs and replacing worn out parts (but I knew that going in) and have invested way more on paint/body kit/upgrades. Still love this car or I would not have made the investments so far with a lot more to go.....

These are fun cars not to mention built like tanks so safety should not be too much of a concern - keep the 2 year old in a good car seat in the back and all will be good....

(BTW, is it really the "grey" or the SSM? Trunk struts cost around $50 or less for a pair and there is great thread on how to replace them.)
Old 07-18-13, 09:31 PM
Bigd128
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
It sounds like you have already made your mind up with the silver spruce. However I would deduct the amount in which it will cost you to fix/replace the parts. Timing belt/water pump will cost at least $1000 from a shop.
Ya it looks nice but idk. That's alot for the timing belt. Thanks for your help I'm excited to get in a sc
Old 07-18-13, 09:32 PM
Bigd128
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Duck05
The grey one for sure.... Lot's of white SCs out there already. Mechanical issues at this age will always be present even with faithful maintenance.

My '92 was the DD for my wife and later my son and together they amassed over 175K when it was given back to me in 2011; it was not taken care of very well as it parked outside for 7 years when my son had it.

I have over $6K in repairs and replacing worn out parts (but I knew that going in) and have invested way more on paint/body kit/upgrades. Still love this car or I would not have made the investments so far with a lot more to go.....

These are fun cars not to mention built like tanks so safety should not be too much of a concern - keep the 2 year old in a good car seat in the back and all will be good....

(BTW, is it really the "grey" or the SSM? Trunk struts cost around $50 or less for a pair and there is great thread on how to replace them.)
So you recommend the car? The other white one is a family friend he has all the records that's my only thing. Great is beautiful though. The white has no problems
Old 07-18-13, 09:57 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Those are both common problems, Im not sure which one to go with 140 and 106 isnt much of a difference with these cars its always good to have records tho. Id go with the one you like color wise.
Old 07-18-13, 09:57 PM
Bigd128
Driver School Candidate

Are these cars just amazing cars??? Are they reliable? I don't wanna be always working on them
Old 07-18-13, 09:59 PM
Bigd128
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Those are both common problems, Im not sure which one to go with 140 and 106 isnt much of a difference with these cars its always good to have records tho. Id go with the one you like color wise.
The white is a daily driver the grey one it basically sat for five years the guy every week started it and all that good stuff. It was old person driven actually both were.
Old 07-18-13, 10:03 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Are these cars just amazing cars??? Are they reliable? I don't wanna be always working on them
Yes, one the best built and reliable cars in my opinion

Quick Reply: New and needs advice