SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My SC300 a total loss. . . WHAT????

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 09:06 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy it back and have someone who does side work cheap pull it out. nothing a little pulling and bondo cant cover up. Alternatively you could just let it go and buy a new (to you) sc. They go fairly cheap.
Old 06-21-13, 09:46 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

The ins will total it and give you a lowball price. Make them come up about $500 on their offer if you feel it is too low. They have SOME small room to play with the numbers. THEN ask them what the buy back is on it. If (and only if) the number is around or below $1,000 then do it. They will cut you the check for the remaining amount, you still have your car - with a dent in the back of it, and no matter what you do with it from here forward you will only be out the price for the radiator because when you sell it you'll double your buyback easily. Buying back cars like yours from the ins company where they aren't technically worth the total amount to fix due to the amount of work involved, but they still are great cars - with a dent in them - are a great way to get a wad of cash in your pocket, get to keep and drive your car, and have very little invested so when you want to get out from under it, no problem! Even if salvage, you only have a grand or less in it so who cares, you'll get 2 grand or more when you get rid of it AND you still have the fat ins check to account for in the sales price. It's a win/win/win. Keep it, get a check, and sell it eventually for nearly free money in your pocket. You don't ALWAYS have to fix it. You can sometimes just drive it and enjoy it while shopping for something else with that check as a down payment.
Old 06-22-13, 12:47 PM
ASTERiSK
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Damage to the corner panel is usually said to be a total loss because "fixing" it would be way too expensive, however if you could get them to replace that part from another SC by cutting it and welding it then it might not be a total loss. Although I feel pretty bad saying this, but maybe this is your chance to find an even better SC
Old 06-22-13, 02:10 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I would definately buy it back, fix it and keep driving it. If you have plans for it, may be its a good time to go wide body all together(with insurance money ofcourse) and may be replace a radiator with good aluminum one.

ps. after my 91mint mk3 supra was totalled i bought it back from ins co for 164$, which was deducted from the ammount they were giving me, bu that was in 06.
Your buyback should be even less...

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 06-22-13 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-24-13, 10:03 AM
kayrohit12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
The ins will total it and give you a lowball price. Make them come up about $500 on their offer if you feel it is too low. They have SOME small room to play with the numbers. THEN ask them what the buy back is on it. If (and only if) the number is around or below $1,000 then do it. They will cut you the check for the remaining amount, you still have your car - with a dent in the back of it, and no matter what you do with it from here forward you will only be out the price for the radiator because when you sell it you'll double your buyback easily. Buying back cars like yours from the ins company where they aren't technically worth the total amount to fix due to the amount of work involved, but they still are great cars - with a dent in them - are a great way to get a wad of cash in your pocket, get to keep and drive your car, and have very little invested so when you want to get out from under it, no problem! Even if salvage, you only have a grand or less in it so who cares, you'll get 2 grand or more when you get rid of it AND you still have the fat ins check to account for in the sales price. It's a win/win/win. Keep it, get a check, and sell it eventually for nearly free money in your pocket. You don't ALWAYS have to fix it. You can sometimes just drive it and enjoy it while shopping for something else with that check as a down payment.

yup i agree but you would have to not be a busy person and sit down and do this ha.
Old 06-24-13, 11:09 AM
HillDwelle
Driver School Candidate

QP damage does not always mean a total loss.. then again i might just be lucky. I was parked at a hometown buffet, and when i came outside to leave, i noticed a pretty hefty dent on the side of my car.. turns out an older fellow tried to rush into the parking spot next to me and hit me in the process. He gave me his insurance information, and then a month or two later after going through the insurance BS, they went ahead and offered to fix the car as well as pay for damages. Got a 2100$ check from them

So long story short, it could still be repaired if you got good insurance, or if like others have said, you know someone who does work on the side. It does look pretty nasty, but a good bodyman could definitely fix that with just some pulling and bando. The initial pulling wont make it look perfect, but thats what the bando is for.. If my dad wasn't so stingy with his time I would ask to see if he could help you cause it looks like youre in CA, but that guy wont even take the time to help me with my dent so i doubt he would help, but you never know, where in CA are you located? He's been doing body work since he was 6 so hes got a hellova lot of experience.. i did a little bit of work for a little while as an assistant, but i wouldnt even put it on my skillset, collision repair is an art forreals.

I may be able to help you with your bumper though because the bumper is an even easier fix, you could probably do it on your own and save a few hundred bucks... just take it off, and from the backside, put a heat gun to the dent and watch it go back into place! You may have to apply a bit of pressure if it doesnt go back on its own, so keep a cool towel ready to do so. The cool water will make the plastic unmalleable so it wont continue to morph.

Youll probably still need to get the moulding that goes on the bottom part of the QP if its damaged, along with the moulding that goes along the inner part of where the tire goes, but you could get those at pick n pull. Thats where i got mine
Old 06-24-13, 01:54 PM
Meghanw1
Rookie

Okay, so I spoke to the insurance guy today. He confirmed total loss. They are offering me $4967. Said it has been kept in better than most condition. And it will be $500 to buy it back. I am having them tow the car back to my house for free until we come to a decision.

I turned down their $4967 offer, even though thats more than I paid for the car 4 years ago. I got a $5825 number from the NADA website. So thats what I'm aiming for. They are going to provide me with the information as to how they arrived at their number. Then, I have a chance to do the same. I guess we will see how it goes.

Are 1992 SC's really considered "classics"? I didn't think so. But according to the NADA website it looks like that is what they are calling it. Just wondering.

Thanks everybody.
Old 06-24-13, 01:59 PM
Meghanw1
Rookie

where in CA are you located?

I'm in san diego.
Old 06-24-13, 03:20 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with the 4900 offer you will be able to buy a nicer condition sc300 as a replacement. i would take it and let the old girl go and trade in for a newer one with less wear

depending on how much your time is worth, buy that one back for 500 and part it out, or have the radiator replaced and the QP dent cheaply fixed and sell it for 1500-2000. that way you can get another 500 or so out of it.
Old 06-24-13, 08:08 PM
scguy
Driver

i can fix it w my eyes close man send it to me pm me not aloowed to say anything to any1 these days when all i wntto do is help keep sc onm the reoad
Old 06-24-13, 11:37 PM
HillDwelle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by estomax
with the 4900 offer you will be able to buy a nicer condition sc300 as a replacement. i would take it and let the old girl go and trade in for a newer one with less wear

depending on how much your time is worth, buy that one back for 500 and part it out, or have the radiator replaced and the QP dent cheaply fixed and sell it for 1500-2000. that way you can get another 500 or so out of it.
i am located in san jose..
But honestly if they offered you that much i think esto is right. Just buy the sc back after taking their offer. youll be left with 4400, and im sure theres enough salvageable parts in the car to make back a decent amount of cash, definitely more than the 500 you would pay for it. Interior parts in particular if they're well maintained, along with any other parts anyone else might need. I search craigslist every day for potential parts and im sure that im not the only one who does this, and if you have good deals on the parts, im sure that you could sell them rather quickly.
Old 06-24-13, 11:47 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Meghanw1
No sentimental value. But I'm a girl and therefor a little sentimental about everything. Damn these human emotions. Sad about a car. An inanimate object. A hunk of metal. Ridiculous!
i can safely say thats about 95% of us on this forum.
Old 06-25-13, 12:02 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Meghanw1
Okay, so I spoke to the insurance guy today. He confirmed total loss. They are offering me $4967. Said it has been kept in better than most condition. And it will be $500 to buy it back. I am having them tow the car back to my house for free until we come to a decision.

I turned down their $4967 offer, even though thats more than I paid for the car 4 years ago. I got a $5825 number from the NADA website. So thats what I'm aiming for. They are going to provide me with the information as to how they arrived at their number. Then, I have a chance to do the same. I guess we will see how it goes.

Are 1992 SC's really considered "classics"? I didn't think so. But according to the NADA website it looks like that is what they are calling it. Just wondering.

Thanks everybody.
Wow!! Thats a pretty generous price for a 1992! There is a guy here on the forums with far worser damage then that and got about 3 grand! I would of accepted that offer and fixed it or sell it!

1992 SC are classics according to NADA? Wow! woot for the 92s! Maybe thats how they came up with the price? Lol
Old 06-25-13, 12:33 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your right NADA is listing it as "Classic" and KBB dosent even give you the option for 92!

I always said the SC are future classics of course everyone has their say on whats really considered a classic and whats not.
Old 06-25-13, 01:13 AM
alto832
Driver School Candidate

Wide body yeah

Quick Reply: My SC300 a total loss. . . WHAT????