Reattach rear sunroof drain tube. I found it in the trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 04:40 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Reattach rear sunroof drain tube. I found it in the trunk

Hi,
I have a small leak in the car. I smell a faint musty smell and i can see water collecting in the trunk on the right side, near where the factory CD player was (behind it towards wheel well actually).
What is the smart fix for this?
Can I thread it back up somehow? Must i remove the headliner or C pillar? How do I do this? I can't find a tutorial for it anywhere.
The piece of tubing found in the trunk is not very long.

Thank you
Sg
Old 06-19-13, 04:59 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not long enough to stick it back through the hole of that black box?

That's where my water issue came from. Puddle enough to slush water onto my factory amp and short it out temporarily. I just dried it all and stuck the tubing back where it goes.

If it is too short, you can buy those plastic barb adapter tube fittings from any auto part stores to extend the tube. OR buy a slightly bigger tube so you can slide the old one into to extend it.

And for future safe measures to ensure my amp doesn't get wet....

Old 06-19-13, 05:02 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Many have used a clasp/clamp to hold the tubing to the drain hole. Hopeful the tube is long enough to reach the drain hole, if not you need to extend it with new tubing.
Old 06-20-13, 04:00 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I have no idea where the tube came from exactly, but I will look for the hole today.
I NEED to fix this! I hate leak issues. if i cannot get it attached. Must I remove the headliner and c pillar to get it attached properly? Any DIY for this? I'm scared to pull it without some pics or directions.
Old 06-20-13, 08:32 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
I have no idea where the tube came from exactly, but I will look for the hole today.
I NEED to fix this! I hate leak issues. if i cannot get it attached. Must I remove the headliner and c pillar to get it attached properly? Any DIY for this? I'm scared to pull it without some pics or directions.
Sounds like your describing that the drain tube has decatched and you found the tubing lying on the trunk bed. Is this statement true? There is another drain tube designated for the gas overflow and could be this tube that might be disconnect.
Old 06-20-13, 09:20 AM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had to do this before, you need at least two people to do this. Partially remove ur headliner and have 1 guy in the interior and 1 guy in the trunk pulling/tugging to get it to fit.
Old 06-20-13, 09:37 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
Sounds like your describing that the drain tube has detached and you found the tubing lying on the trunk bed. Is this statement true? There is another drain tube designated for the gas overflow and could be this tube that might be disconnect.
Yes, I found it on the right side of the trunk and it is detached. I will take a look today and try to figure out where it came from.
It has to be one of the two id guess.

The fact that the fluid collecting in the trunk is water and not gas luckily, suggests that it may be the sunroof tube.
Old 06-20-13, 10:27 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Candela
I've had to do this before, you need at least two people to do this. Partially remove ur headliner and have 1 guy in the interior and 1 guy in the trunk pulling/tugging to get it to fit.
Is it only the headliner you have to remove or the pillar as well?

Can you offer any headliner removal advise? I have no idea what I have to do and don't want to break any clips.
Old 06-21-13, 01:10 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Problem Solved
I was looking at the wrong tube.
I looked inside again and saw the big hole pictured below. I thought a plug was missing and started looking for it thinking water from the wheel was splashing in. I then thought it must be for the tube to drain so i looked for the tube. I found it still attached and going towards the sunroof. I had not seen that tube before. I only saw the smaller detached tube at the bottom and assumed that was it. That may be the one associated with gas mentioned above.
The tube appears to have been just draining right into the right side of the trunk. I cleaned the area and soaked it with Lysol, then put the tube through the hole.
I am all but sure this is the fix because I smelled must, but never saw any water in the cabin. The smell was stronger in the trunk and that is where the water was.

This makes me quite happy as i was not looking forward to taking my interior apart.

Thanks To All!
SG
Attached Thumbnails Reattach rear sunroof drain tube. I found it in the trunk-hole1.jpg   Reattach rear sunroof drain tube. I found it in the trunk-tubeinhole.jpg   Reattach rear sunroof drain tube. I found it in the trunk-gasrunoff-.jpg   Reattach rear sunroof drain tube. I found it in the trunk-gasrunoff2.jpg  

Last edited by Studiogeek; 06-21-13 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 08:43 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Glad to here you found the problem and yes the smaller tubing is for the gas overflow draining.
Old 06-21-13, 08:57 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

Glad to here you found the problem and yes the smaller tubing is for the gas overflow draining.
I'll have to look that up and see how to re attach it. If you or anyone knows, please post.

Thank You!

SG
Old 07-07-13, 10:35 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

This is surely my gas overflow tube that is detached. Do you know where/how I re attach it?

Last edited by Studiogeek; 07-07-13 at 10:40 AM.