SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Do you think the SC is a hard car to make a wheel look good on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-13, 12:00 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SC is the easiest to make ANY wheel look good... All you have to do is SLAM the car and call it a day.
Old 05-25-13, 04:41 AM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vteruni
still working on them but once they are finished ill snap some pics. When i got them, the person painted them yellow......yellow. Not gold, Yellow, BRIGHT yellow......go figure lol. Im done stripping the paint off them, mostly. still need to get a few bits here and there. Then repolish the lips and paint the center black.
That is a terrible color. Who would want yellow rims????
Old 05-25-13, 05:36 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by horent135
SC is the easiest to make ANY wheel look good... All you have to do is SLAM the car and call it a day.
This^

It's a car that is a bit more challenging to lower than others. Between the harness in the front fender well, the lack of affordable camber bolts or camber arms, non-rolled lip factory fenders front and rear, and a somewhat bizarre height difference between the front and rear fender openings; proper stance without compromising handling is very difficult to achieve on this platform.

I think these cars look especially sinister on a drag oriented setup with 295s+ on the back and a bit of rake. No stretched tires for me! A 16 or 17 with a bit of meat looks great if lowered.
Old 05-25-13, 08:33 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For me, the technique in finding aftermarket wheels that look good to the car, is to find a similar design to the OEM wheels it came out with. For example, there are some SC models that came out with mesh type wheels, so I look for mesh type design, like Work VSXX or Rezax II. Don't ask about my current wheels, only bought them 'cause I still daily my SC, but my heart is set on a set of Rezax II.

Another thing to consider is, the main shape of the car. Cars designs only vary in 2 distinguishable points, 1 is curvy or rounded contours and 2 is more boxy and lotsa edges. You can also consider those when choosing wheels. For example, Work Equips doesn't look quite as good as Meister's S1 on an SC to complement the more rounded and curvy design of the SC.
Old 05-25-13, 09:00 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
This^

It's a car that is a bit more challenging to lower than others. Between the harness in the front fender well, the lack of affordable camber bolts or camber arms, non-rolled lip factory fenders front and rear, and a somewhat bizarre height difference between the front and rear fender openings; proper stance without compromising handling is very difficult to achieve on this platform.

I think these cars look especially sinister on a drag oriented setup with 295s+ on the back and a bit of rake. No stretched tires for me! A 16 or 17 with a bit of meat looks great if lowered.
I STILL love that look, but i'm OLD. We used to raise our cars rears and put Cragars on them with fat tires. It took a while for me to appreciate the new "stance", but I finally do.
I DO have 285's on mine.
Old 05-25-13, 11:25 AM
Highway
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Interweb posing! But as for the question i can agree that finding the perfect balance is tough on the SC because of how long and low it stands. The sweet spot IMHO are either 18's or 19's with nothing wider than 11 in the back and 9.5 in the front...

Last edited by Highway; 05-25-13 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-25-13, 12:31 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Highway
+1 on Interweb posing! But as for the question i can agree that finding the perfect balance is tough on the SC because of how long and low it stands. The sweet spot IMHO are either 18's or 19's with nothing wider than 11 in the back and 9.5 in the front...
My eye likes this too. But I'm sure i'd be OK a 12 out back as well .
Old 05-25-13, 12:53 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I am in that phase now of trying to select a wheel choice for this car....

Bounced around 18s, 19s, 20s, along with 5 spoke versus mesh designs.

Budget is a factor since there remains a long list of other fixes and enhancements still to go.

Right now, I am leaning towards a mesh design and feel the Lumarai Kya in 18s is the front runner "today". Tomorrow, could be a 5 spoke....

Yet to pull the trigger as factoring in is the lowering step and brakes that will fit play in the process.

So, have to totally agree that wheel choice is a huge challenge for a car that started with 15s and has a large wheel well gap. Fit and stance along with a "good ride" has a lot of trade offs in this car...

Last edited by Duck05; 05-25-13 at 08:49 PM.
Old 05-25-13, 02:05 PM
turbo16lbs
Rookie

The car does have a difficult shape to match. The roundness of it does need the right wheel combo. But alas anything lowered right looks good.
Old 05-25-13, 02:40 PM
TheHoboMan
Rookie

depends on the person and their tastes..

For me, hell yeah it's easy cause the car looks sick already..I'm super biased though.
Old 05-25-13, 03:39 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think it's the exact opposite. Even stock 16s look nice on this car, you put 18s and it's a game changer. My friend even has nissan 350z wheels and they look dope! lol
Old 05-25-13, 04:10 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i threw on 2nd gen scion tc wheels on for drift spares, they look good in my opinion, i don't think i have posted my car ever on the forums yet lol
Old 05-25-13, 04:57 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Just for me personally it has to be proper, not just slammed into a bucket and anything goes. The black autocouture sc for instance is still perfection as far as im concerned and things like manaray's car a close second. These cars achieve a level that make everyone just stop and stare AND in a good way. I can only think of a hand ful of proper SC's on that top tier.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 05-25-13 at 07:20 PM. Reason: typo, damn ipad
Old 05-25-13, 05:39 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jadu
Real easy. anything but the sc stockies will look good, but not on the internets.

Examples
Running aftermarket 16s or 17s, you'll get bashed
Running too wide or too narrow wheels, you'll get bashed
Running stretched it rubber band tires, you'll get bashed
20s on an NA, you'll get bashed
Running 295, 305, 315 wide tires on an NA you'll get bashed
20s on a 1kwhp gte, you'll get bashed
20s without a kit, you'll get bashed
Running knockoffs, you'll get bashed
the list goes on.

on the streets, it doesn't really matter
Omfg...best post in this thread. Soooo true
Old 05-25-13, 06:17 PM
SC4Paulo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HAHAHAHA ^ thats hilarious.

Quick Reply: Do you think the SC is a hard car to make a wheel look good on?