SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Yet Another Incident... Slight Bumper ID.

Old 05-22-13, 11:23 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yet Another Incident... Slight Bumper ID.

So I had an unfortunate accident. Driving on a major highway at 65mph in the far left lane I struck a blown out truck tire that I did not see until it was within a few feet as it was night. Either way, stomping the brakes and/ or swerving wouldn't have been ideal as I had a Mercedes on my left. Anyways, here's the aftermath:

I ripped the front lower center splitter off because it was deformed and bent so it rubbed the ground. I also have a custom made metal splash guard which is the black you see after I ripped the bumper center out.

So I am now looking to replace the bumper. Would you agree this is a V-Speed bumper?
My car:
Like this http://extremedimensions.com/92-00-SC300-VSpeed-FB.html

I also have a picture of the part number sticker but I can't find it out of Google... I bought the car with the whole body kit installed already. I have no clue to what it exactly is. Previous own said Veilside, I highly disagree.

Wish I had money for a full Vertex Ridge body kit...
Old 05-23-13, 04:15 AM
JahKno
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like a duraflex bodykit
Old 05-23-13, 04:16 AM
JahKno
Driver School Candidate

They should at least have a front bumper to match
Old 05-23-13, 06:44 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Thats what i'm guessing, Duraflex V Speed (not the current VSpeed Wide Body)

http://extremedimensions.com/92-00-SC300-VSpeed-FB.html
Old 05-23-13, 08:32 AM
PoorMike
Driver School Candidate

It's not veilside for sure. ED or vertex should be your best bet, you might still have a tag on the bumper if you look around, sorry to hear about the damage man
Old 05-23-13, 08:47 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PoorMike
It's not veilside for sure. ED or vertex should be your best bet, you might still have a tag on the bumper if you look around, sorry to hear about the damage man
On the backside of the bumper is an embedded sticker that has a part number, staff number and a few other digits. I searched it up and found nothing. I havent found any other labels yet.
Old 05-23-13, 01:23 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That does look like a "V-Speed" a rip off/knock off of the Vertex. Notice your grill in up a few inches where how the real vertex is centered correctly also all the big gaps where air is being thrown around everywhere. ED should be ashamed of putting real pics of the Vertex on their site trying to pass their kit as the real deal.

Last edited by Joey-E; 05-23-13 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-23-13, 11:39 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

If you guys are wondering, yes. I pulled over on I-95 and got the son of a ***** that caused my damage. Has a trace of red paint on it. Because I grabbed this, I feel significantly better... simply because I did not see it until it was a few feet in front of me while I was going about 65mph. Reviewed my dashcam, saw it, seeked it, got it. I did not know how large it was until I pulled over and walked up to it.

I am in the process of getting the V-Speed bumper from ED. Fitment can be off by a bit, as my now trashed bumper was not perfect either. Until I have money for the real deal and don't mind a $1000 getting trashed, I'll stay with the cheap stuff.

As for the truck tire, I positively am sure the truck tire blew out from a flat. There's a spot where a nail had punctured through the tread completely.

Trust me, as I said, knowing all of this and seeing the object I strucked makes me feel significantly better.
Old 05-23-13, 11:58 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

The kit might also be another knock off from VIS Racing, the "Speed" model. Look up VIS Racing SC body kit.

The front slot being placed mid way is the characteristic. It is the front I currently have instead of the AIT Racing Velocity kit I thought I was getting....

I am waiting on the replacement but below is the start and finish pictures...
Attached Thumbnails Yet Another Incident... Slight Bumper ID.-kit.jpg   Yet Another Incident... Slight Bumper ID.-sc300-99.jpg  
Old 05-24-13, 04:43 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

I figured it was VIS because I saw somewhere it was called the VIS Racing Vortex. But it's not even on VIS Racings website.

I'm goin to get the one from ED. Hopefully it fits.
Old 05-24-13, 05:45 AM
PoorMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TheAzn
On the backside of the bumper is an embedded sticker that has a part number, staff number and a few other digits. I searched it up and found nothing. I havent found any other labels yet.
That's odd, most companies label their kits, but I'm having the same problem with my skirts!
Old 05-24-13, 05:51 AM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

Lol maybe they dont want their name on something they know wont fit like a bad mold instead of trashing it
Old 05-24-13, 11:37 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

The VIS kits seem to be below par. The fitment is terrible (at least on mine) and when I saw the horrific damage and split (albeit a high impact collision with that tire cap) in the pictures above that was more "evidence" it was a VIS knock off. Link below but ignore it's depiction of the slot since others have said they moved it around as molds wore out.

http://www.visracing.com/newcatalog/...nt-Bumper.html

At least the ED and AIT kits appear to be made of a lot tougher material as both companies have some "beat it with a bat" videos and other demonstrations depicting their durability.

Please let us know how the ED front end fits and your opinion of the material compared to your present, damaged bumper.

Last edited by Duck05; 05-24-13 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-24-13, 03:04 PM
TheAzn
Lead Lap

I definitely will I'm taking it to a guy who works at a body shop, his work is the most bestest of the best I ever seen. So if the bumper required any mods or savage beatings to make it fit, I'll let you know.

Duck05, the front bumper is a bit different from mine. The lower sides below the fogs. All the other panels
looks to be the same.

I hope ED kit are at least 80 - 90% Excellent.

Last edited by TheAzn; 05-24-13 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-25-13, 12:04 AM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TheAzn
I definitely will I'm taking it to a guy who works at a body shop, his work is the most bestest of the best I ever seen. So if the bumper required any mods or savage beatings to make it fit, I'll let you know.

Duck05, the front bumper is a bit different from mine. The lower sides below the fogs. All the other panels
looks to be the same.

I hope ED kit are at least 80 - 90% Excellent.
When your bumper comes, if you decide not to keep the lower bumper grill, let me get it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Yet Another Incident... Slight Bumper ID.