SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Supra prices "ticking" down? SC's prices "ticking" up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-13, 04:10 PM
thm8d
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well how I see it, The "VIP" scene is bringing new owners towards us. There are many people looking into SC's to "VIP" out. I Assume after researching that its brothers with Supras, they are then attracted to SC's. Personally, I didnt know the potential of a SC until I was offered to trade for one. I researched and learned more about it. Therefore, The desire for modified SC's are increased. As us SC owners are noticing, we could put higher prices and actually get offers up there.
Old 05-12-13, 04:20 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thm8d
Well how I see it, The "VIP" scene is bringing new owners towards us. There are many people looking into SC's to "VIP" out. I Assume after researching that its brothers with Supras, they are then attracted to SC's. Personally, I didnt know the potential of a SC until I was offered to trade for one. I researched and learned more about it. Therefore, The desire for modified SC's are increased. As us SC owners are noticing, we could put higher prices and actually get offers up there.
Yeah I originally wanted the 400 because I liked the styling and wanted a V8. While looking for a 400 I just happened across a 300 with a 5-speed, and bought it that day after doing about an hour of research. But honestly I considered myself a pretty big car buff, and yet I didn't even know the SC came with a jz, until I saw one for sale and did the research. I think the lack of visibility to people who don't already own a Lexus may be one of the biggest reasons the demand for this car stays low.
Old 05-13-13, 12:34 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Originally Posted by thm8d
I agree with your point. I believe that "word of mouth" has something to do with the growing popularity / increase of value of our SC's. Everyone knows the potential of a big block/small block, rotary etc., but not everyone knows what a "2J" is, much less its potential.... Until, they either get stomped on the highway, and if they're lucky, catch the person and look under the hood. Or, If a friend gets a 2JZ and schools him/her on the "straight 6 beast".. So my advice to SC owners: Keep your car clean as possible. And if you do decide to sell, set a price that is respectable... Because what you do with your SC affects everyone in the community.... LITERALLY
Old 05-14-13, 06:58 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

SC's are at the lowest they ever been in price and Supra's have gone down about a few grand but nothing major. SC's use to sell for 9k stock for a clean one, now a clean one will pull in 5-6k and crappy ones will go for under 1k. Word of mouth can be bad too because I get people asking me why I didn't buy the twin turbo version, or if it's a 5 or 6 speed V8.
Old 05-14-13, 07:27 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Could be coincidence but many have surely ticked up in the NY area as of late. I see more 8K - 12K machines then usual and higher prices on soso specimens. I don't know if they are selling, but some people are asking higher prices.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 05-14-13 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-14-13, 10:02 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Midengtoy
SC's are at the lowest they ever been in price and Supra's have gone down about a few grand but nothing major. SC's use to sell for 9k stock for a clean one, now a clean one will pull in 5-6k and crappy ones will go for under 1k. Word of mouth can be bad too because I get people asking me why I didn't buy the twin turbo version, or if it's a 5 or 6 speed V8.
I tend to think those are where the long term values are going. Exceptionally low miles and very clean stock examples will always catch an eye but I think car people are gradually becoming more aware of what SC's can be converted into and value such conversions with appropriate equipment more than your average stock SC's. I don't think it's a huge valuation but something commensurate with what a 300hp manual transmission 3500b car of any make commands is about right.

But we'll never come close to the values MKIV Supras command. I think it's a bit unfair if an SC is compared to an MKIV NA automatic with an open differential but otherwise it takes a lot of work to convert an SC into Soarer spec let alone MKIV TT spec. And low original production numbers for TT's go a long way to that end. Fun fact: more Supra TT's were produced than NA's for the USA market.
Old 05-14-13, 10:54 AM
thm8d
Pole Position

Let's not also forget, even people with minimum knowledge of our cars.. simply assume we would swap a 2jzgte. I always get the question, "do you have a 2j." They don't realize even the 2jzge is potential of making big power. When I tell them I have a 1j, they have a confused face. Our car isn't a big "hype". Therefore nobody truly knows how potential this car is. I've actually convinced one of my friends to get a SC with a 1jz/2jzgte, this is him coming from a 2009 335i making 4xxhp/4xxtq. He didn't know anything about SCs or Supras until I got mine!
Old 05-14-13, 11:52 AM
Flick2JZ
Driver

As neither a SC or a Supra owner, i think the the prices all depend on what you are looking for. a NICE 6spd TT Supra is still pulling good money. A high mileage N/a Auto car can be had in the teens, you can find some beatup or high mileage Turbo Supra's out there in the mid-high teens but thats cause those cars need quite a bit invested back into them to make them decent again.

Where SC prices fall in the same category. 97+ CLEAN Stock SC's go for good money, where you can get a beat up pertty much junk SC for $2-4k. To me in my area a "decent" SC goes for $5000-$8000. And if you want a 97+ look in the $7000-$13,000 area. I've always wanted a supra and plan on getting one someday, But right now i feel a SC would work better in my favor, So for the last few weeks i have been looking at them for sale without much good luck for NICE ones. that don't want $10K +
Old 05-14-13, 12:22 PM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Well as someone that currently has his car on the market the offers I get are ridiculous. I get offers as low as 3k and people offer jenky s13's or civic's to trade. The majority of the market thinks our cars are worth 3-4k so does that determine their actual cost since they are the buying power behind this whole price structure. It's hard to believe my car use to sell for 7k and now it seems like people wont even take it if it was posted for free.

We all know people can ask any price for their cars but what do they actually sell at is what really counts.
Old 05-14-13, 09:20 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Price most certainly are going up ...

Last year SC300's on CL were going for around $2500 - $4000max.
Now look at them: http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/s...inAsk=&maxAsk=
Old 05-14-13, 09:42 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Midengtoy
Well as someone that currently has his car on the market the offers I get are ridiculous. I get offers as low as 3k and people offer jenky s13's or civic's to trade. The majority of the market thinks our cars are worth 3-4k so does that determine their actual cost since they are the buying power behind this whole price structure. It's hard to believe my car use to sell for 7k and now it seems like people wont even take it if it was posted for free.

We all know people can ask any price for their cars but what do they actually sell at is what really counts.
This is very, very true. I can't argue with asking price vs actual average sales. Still, to me a properly swapped 300+hp 2JZ-GTE or 1JZ-GTE car with an R154 5-speed and any flavor of an LSD that isn't in poor cosmetic condition is a good $12-$13k at least.

I have no interest in selling mine but hypothetically if I did and I had all the above equipment installed I just wouldn't take less. It's not even about recouping cost. Civic/240/ricer guys can lowball all they want but I'd just tell them to find another 300+++ hp manual LSD car for $4k that isn't a ratted out 5.0 Fox Mustang or flex-box 80's Camaro if they don't see that is the average going price for such a used muscle car from almost any manufacturer.

Before I bought mine I started throwing out badge loyalty and engine favorites fast. I just looked at any car at all that had a solid RWD chassis that didn't take $10k in suspension mods to handle (i.e.: 82-93 and 94-98 Mustangs) and that came with a 300hp engine (V8 or any kind of factory turbo) that took well to modifications, had a strong manual transmission and decent aftermarket support.

And that had rear seats and a trunk.

Let me tell you, there are fewer such FACTORY cars than you'd imagine whether it's American, Japanese, Korean or German that you can buy for less than $12k-$15k. Cars with engines as popular as the 2JZ such as the hand built 4.6L DOHC 300hp engines in the '99-'04 IRS rear non supercharged Mustang Cobras often ran about $13k-$15k. I saw a few older STI's for about $15k-$16k too. Few USA factory turbo cars even exist in that price range. Maybe a couple of years since I bought the SC that has changed. I did see a purple-on-purple Pontiac GTO 5.7L 6-speed with 50k miles for $11k but most were about $13k-$15k. Same with most 2005-2007 Subaru Legacy GT 5-speeds (2.5L turbo 250hp engines) listing for $14k-$17k on average.

And since they are sometimes mentioned, Z32TT's are two-seaters.

I'm not going to argue with the market but I also wouldn't sell for less than it would take me to replace my SC with a similar-ish performance car with similar-ish mod potential, since I found it to be a difficult thing to get a very simple car:

RWD, manual transmission, solid engine with at least 300hp or extremely close power figure that accepts modifications easily, back seats, trunk, reliable, handles well or can be made to very cheaply, not riced out

The above is not a cheap thing to find in factory or modified form in the USA unless it's very ancient. And once you go into 60's/70's cars the price rises again. To me, a solid RWD platform with 300hp that isn't trashed isn't rock-bottom cheap.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 05-14-13 at 09:46 PM.
Old 05-15-13, 07:13 AM
Midengtoy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
This is very, very true. I can't argue with asking price vs actual average sales. Still, to me a properly swapped 300+hp 2JZ-GTE or 1JZ-GTE car with an R154 5-speed and any flavor of an LSD that isn't in poor cosmetic condition is a good $12-$13k at least.

I have no interest in selling mine but hypothetically if I did and I had all the above equipment installed I just wouldn't take less. It's not even about recouping cost. Civic/240/ricer guys can lowball all they want but I'd just tell them to find another 300+++ hp manual LSD car for $4k that isn't a ratted out 5.0 Fox Mustang or flex-box 80's Camaro if they don't see that is the average going price for such a used muscle car from almost any manufacturer.

Before I bought mine I started throwing out badge loyalty and engine favorites fast. I just looked at any car at all that had a solid RWD chassis that didn't take $10k in suspension mods to handle (i.e.: 82-93 and 94-98 Mustangs) and that came with a 300hp engine (V8 or any kind of factory turbo) that took well to modifications, had a strong manual transmission and decent aftermarket support.

And that had rear seats and a trunk.

Let me tell you, there are fewer such FACTORY cars than you'd imagine whether it's American, Japanese, Korean or German that you can buy for less than $12k-$15k. Cars with engines as popular as the 2JZ such as the hand built 4.6L DOHC 300hp engines in the '99-'04 IRS rear non supercharged Mustang Cobras often ran about $13k-$15k. I saw a few older STI's for about $15k-$16k too. Few USA factory turbo cars even exist in that price range. Maybe a couple of years since I bought the SC that has changed. I did see a purple-on-purple Pontiac GTO 5.7L 6-speed with 50k miles for $11k but most were about $13k-$15k. Same with most 2005-2007 Subaru Legacy GT 5-speeds (2.5L turbo 250hp engines) listing for $14k-$17k on average.

And since they are sometimes mentioned, Z32TT's are two-seaters.

I'm not going to argue with the market but I also wouldn't sell for less than it would take me to replace my SC with a similar-ish performance car with similar-ish mod potential, since I found it to be a difficult thing to get a very simple car:

RWD, manual transmission, solid engine with at least 300hp or extremely close power figure that accepts modifications easily, back seats, trunk, reliable, handles well or can be made to very cheaply, not riced out

The above is not a cheap thing to find in factory or modified form in the USA unless it's very ancient. And once you go into 60's/70's cars the price rises again. To me, a solid RWD platform with 300hp that isn't trashed isn't rock-bottom cheap.
Amen fellow ClubLexus member that's why I bought my car too. If I wasn't having a baby soon I wouldn't be in the market for something else.

Funny story I had my 8 month old nephew in the back seat of the SC with the baby seat turned around. The only way he would fit is if I had the passenger seat reclined and moved all the way up and my wife had to sit next to him in the back seat. LOL!
Old 05-15-13, 10:32 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say the prices are holding very steady for both. Hell my Supra hasn't lost much value since I bought it 6 years ago
Old 05-15-13, 08:44 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

"Supra prices "ticking" down? SC's prices "ticking" up? "

Pshhh i wish.