SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

I have been to 3 car stereo stores...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-13, 09:32 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do people go for Marine subs when other free air subs meant for cars are out there? Whats reasoning behind it?
Old 04-27-13, 10:57 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

I was debating over free-air and box for a long time. There are a few good free-air subs for the SC400 that work if you search the forums. After reading about them for so long I just decided to go with a small sub box. A free-air sub will do the job but it will never sound as good as a sealed or ported box. I had the Nakimichi sub and I loved it. However it will not provide the deep hard hitting bass that a sealed or ported box will. I'm putting a sealed box for space reasons in my trunk. It will be easy removable with quick disconnects for when I put golf clubs. If I wanted to get really fancy, I could build a fibreglass enclosure on the right side of my trunk. There is enough space on the rightside for a fibre glass box that would leave you for enough room for a subwoofer and you would still be able to put golf clubs. I did not go this route because it would cost me at least $500 to get the custom work done. Also with a simple wooden box I can remove it whenever I want if I do any racing for weight savings.
Old 04-28-13, 01:43 AM
gifford546
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Lexxium's process and actually used the exact same sub and amp set up. It has been installed for 2 years now and have had no problems. It sounds amazing. I still had his build thread bookmarked

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tion-pics.html
Old 04-28-13, 06:58 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Here are a few shots of loud stuff

Thanks giifford!

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 04-28-13 at 07:33 AM.
Old 04-29-13, 07:51 AM
PoorMike
Driver School Candidate

JL subs sound great free air but... they can get pricey, depends on what your looking for sq or spl? I would say a shallow mount kicker would work just fine. Sundown makes some of the best 8"s right now, but im not sure if the driver is too long to fit, I'd look into it!

My last car had a 15" nightshade sundown with 4k watts running to it at .5 ohms ..... I'm not about that life anymore! Broke my car apart slowly
Old 04-29-13, 11:22 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PoorMike
JL subs sound great free air but... they can get pricey, depends on what your looking for sq or spl? I would say a shallow mount kicker would work just fine. Sundown makes some of the best 8"s right now, but im not sure if the driver is too long to fit, I'd look into it!

My last car had a 15" nightshade sundown with 4k watts running to it at .5 ohms ..... I'm not about that life anymore! Broke my car apart slowly
HAha 4k watts at .5ohms 15" sub!!! JEEZ. Was that 4k RMS?? My friends civic is falling apart from a simple 350rms sub in his hatch lol I couldn't imagine 4k RMS!!! Can you still hear properly? lol
Old 04-29-13, 08:54 PM
PoorMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clean400
HAha 4k watts at .5ohms 15" sub!!! JEEZ. Was that 4k RMS?? My friends civic is falling apart from a simple 350rms sub in his hatch lol I couldn't imagine 4k RMS!!! Can you still hear properly? lol
What? couldn't hear that? Nah, I still have great hearing, low frequencies aren't as bad as highs are. Yeah that was 4k rms, more like 3750w rms but that's after the voltage drop. It was in a 1997 Chevy Lumina, the whole back of the car flexes, especially the trunk the trunk raises about an 1in +

It was fun... for a week hahah
Old 04-29-13, 08:58 PM
PoorMike
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Biddles
Why do people go for Marine subs when other free air subs meant for cars are out there? Whats reasoning behind it?
marine subs are designed to like more airflow they will sound better in an open environment, each speaker likes a enclosure/ lack there of. it would probably sound good, are you going to run a separate amp to all speakers? or use your original HU as your main output?
Old 04-29-13, 09:47 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice man, Sundown gear is legit, I was runnin a lot less wattage than you two cars ago, 1,100 rms at 1 ohm off a Sundown SAE 1000d and another 437 watts off a sundown 100.4. I remember those nightshades came out right after I built my system and I salivated over those things for quite a while, entertaining the idea of trading up to run 1 nightshade 15, but I never did it. I'm in the same boat as you now, don't think I could ever go that load again, definitely lost some hearing.

Eventually I want to get an audible physics sub free-airing off the back deck but I want to upgrade my suspension bushings and control arms and get a toe kit before I go there... not to mention lextech gauges and climate.
Old 04-30-13, 03:53 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

marine subs are designed to like more airflow they will sound better in an open environment, each speaker likes a enclosure/ lack there of. it would probably sound good, are you going to run a separate amp to all speakers? or use your original HU as your main output?
The plan was use the 5 channel Alpine PDX-V9, 100W RMSx4 + 500W RMSx1 @ 2 or 4 ohm. So I'm looking for a 500W RMS sub at 2 or 4 ohm that fits the rear deck. Most the marine ones I've seen don't go past 300W RMS. My old car had 12" Kicker L5, I'd like to be able to match that if not better. It was in a custom ported box though so I don't know if a free air can compete. I'm going to stop at sound trax on the way home, they should have a few free air subs to demo.
Old 05-01-13, 11:17 AM
GamblerZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems that a new amplified will be necessary regardless the direction we go for a subwoofer?

What about the new speakers mentioned previously? Will they require new power as well?
Old 05-01-13, 11:39 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

speaker will drive fine off the stock amplification, the sub's have very little amplification stock so in most cases you need to add a small aftermarket amplifier when going with a larger speaker.

I have seen 8" subs on the stock amp but don't expect much better than stock in some cases depending on speaker its worse.
If you are trying to use the stock amplification, you could always go with a 4ohm sub if the factory is an 8 ohm (can't remember what the factory speaker is exactly), but lower ohms will put a little more stress on the amp but it will be louder than if you went with an 8 ohm. the factory amp is probalby over built anyways (not in output just in reliabillity).
you can even get a dual 8 ohm speaker and use one coil only for when you want 8 ohms, and use both coils in parralel for 4 ohm so its more flexible but also more expensive and more coils to melt.. lol