SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Lug nuts loose!!!

Old 04-24-13, 03:56 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Lug nuts loose!!!

After the afternoon showers came through north Alabama, I went out and washed my SC. As I was drying the wheels off individually, I noticed my hand towel hit one of the lug nuts. Low and behold, three of the lug nuts were loose, and on top of all this, one of the extended studs was broke, and this led to the lug nut gone! Now I have only four lug nuts on one of the rear tires. This is the same side (passenger rear) that I recently replaced the rear hub assembly, due to a bad wheel bearing. I panicked. I went and checked all the other ones, and they were rock solid tight within 90 foot pounds. I am using Gorilla lug nuts in black that I bought off of Ebay, and the extended studs, I bought off another member on here. The other side, as stated before is good to go with the spacer on. Keep in mind, I am running 10mm spacers in the rear and none in the front. Is this a common thing to have happened? I have always read that after you remove the wheels/tires, you need to re tighten after the first 50 miles. I used an impact gun to tighten the lug nuts, but come to think about it, the compressor was building pressure while I was tightening them. I am getting a little worried here folks, and being paranoid!

Should I be?

Is this a common thing to check now, with having boost?

I also used blue loctite on this particular rim. I left the others alone.
Old 04-24-13, 04:01 PM
2TurboZ
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stock powered 93 just had all of my mutekis come loose after being driven in the rain. I was not happy at all. The only thing that saved the day was I was only about a mile from home when it started to vibrate pretty bad.

I have used a torque wrench to spec when installing them.
Old 04-24-13, 04:15 PM
sr71b
Pole Position

If they weren't torque correctly when they were installed then is is exactly what happens. Just replaced and torque to spec you should be fine.
Old 04-24-13, 04:21 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

This is some reinsurance... I am glad that I wasn't the only one that has had this trouble. I will continue to keep my eye on these things.

Come to think about it, I was getting some vibration on the way back from Birmingham and Atlanta. Man I am so glad that the wheel didn't come off with my family in there...
Old 04-24-13, 04:43 PM
mattjk
Driver

if you put any new lugs or stud, always recheck the torque every day for a week. The mating surfaces need to break in because they aren't always perfect, especially acorn nut contact.
Old 04-24-13, 05:02 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Always use torque wrench, always, always. Check Atleast every other week too.
Old 04-24-13, 05:55 PM
MXT4life
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I would avoid using the impact gun and sticking to a torque wrench to avoid overtorque, breaking lugs and studs are no fun
Old 04-24-13, 07:14 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

possible attempted thief???

I dont think your lug nut would break on its own without someone tryin to loosen it, and all 3 being loose? hmmm somethingg to consider.
Old 04-24-13, 07:28 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I've had this happen when the people did my alignment...

So annoying, had 1 lug fall off and 2 were really loose. The alignment place stripped the lock.

I had to buy a set of 20 lugs (and new locks).

Make sure you use a torque wrench and set it to 76 lbs.
Old 04-24-13, 07:35 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I did have an alignment done two weeks ago, due to excessive vibration and a slight pull to the right. Why in GOD's green earth, would they loosen the lug nuts for an alignment? Did I read this right?

I also thought about the theft idea as well, but I kinda ruled this out, due to one of the studs being broke. Now I need one black lug nut and one extended stud.

Does anyone have one lying around? I need to put an end to myself being annoyed on what could have done this!!!
Old 04-24-13, 07:38 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I did have an alignment done two weeks ago, due to excessive vibration and a slight pull to the right. Why in GOD's green earth, would they loosen the lug nuts for an alignment? Did I read this right?

I also thought about the theft idea as well, but I kinda ruled this out, due to one of the studs being broke. Now I need one black lug nut and one extended stud.

Does anyone have one lying around? I need to put an end to myself being annoyed on what could have done this!!!
Over tightening or under tightening (in my case over) can lead to the lug nut going loose and eventually falling off.

For my situation, I believe 1 fell off but I didn't notice it. From there, lugs started getting loose and I pulled over while driving on the streets noticing vibrations. At that time I saw 2 loose and 1 completely fell off.

I KNOW it wasn't me because I torque wrench my lugs to 76lbs everytime, and could only think of the alignment shop which I recently took it to.
Old 04-24-13, 08:12 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

I think I might call the alignment shop in the morning and ask a few questions... I think this is the only sensible thing to do.. I am wondering what they will say???

Well sir, it is our recommendation that we do this and that, unless one of our mechanics, blah, blah.....
Old 04-24-13, 09:18 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have never used a torque wrench on wheels in my life. Haven't found one loose lug nut either. Now that I have a torque wrench, I guess I have no excuse now.

Last edited by SC400slide; 04-24-13 at 09:18 PM. Reason: whoops
Old 04-24-13, 10:15 PM
93Gotjuice
Pole Position

I think if your using. Spacers/ adapters. They tend to get loose, so you have to check occasionally! . And Re torque them
Old 04-25-13, 05:31 AM
suprahero
Driver

You should just sell that pos before you wreck it and hurt yourself. I'll give you five grand for it just so you don't hurt yourself or anyone else. You're welcome.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lug nuts loose!!!