Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket Climate Control (Popformance LXCC for 92-00 SC/Soarer)

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-14, 04:21 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My unit is for sale, used but all updated with the newest software.
Old 10-09-14, 11:57 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

CalitriSC, you didn't like it?
Old 10-10-14, 05:40 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much, and why selling?
Old 10-10-14, 05:43 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Phoenyx084
I think if it where done right and also had the other addon goodies I think it would be a winner, use some sort of android OS and have it blue tooth and wifi capable I think someone would have a good product on there hands.

I just love how the soarer's looked.

If they could integrate it with the radio, so that the bottom space could be used for something extra (DVD, GPS, or iPad Mini), that would be awesome!
Old 10-11-14, 12:44 AM
KahnBB6

I think going outside the realm of a climate controller and multi-function unit in the same size as the original might be the limit in terms of what makes marketable sense for him. So many people have differing preferences as to what they want with a stereo.

That said, I love the UZZ32 screen pictured above and that miniature 1/2 DIN tape deck with the radio controls. Makes me wonder if that little thing IS an entire AM/FM radio unit similar to the OEM Pioneer/Nakamichi's just without the screen.

It's a shame the AM and FM tuners aren't calibrated for U.S. radio signal ranges because that little unit would make for a great setup (for those of us who don't care about a fancy overblown double-din stereo with a screen):

Top -- Popformance LXCC controller (firmware updated to display the radio and audio signals from the JDM 1/2 DIN unit)
Middle -- Dedicated GPS Nav flip-out screen, single-DIN NAV (wish these existed) or Defi DIN triple gauge
Bottom -- JDM UZZ32 1/2 DIN Cassette/AM/FM/CD control unit w/aux-in hack applied (because honestly what else do you need?)
Old 10-11-14, 06:32 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by CityKnight
If they could integrate it with the radio, so that the bottom space could be used for something extra (DVD, GPS, or iPad Mini), that would be awesome!
That space looks perfect for a cubby.

As cool as the all-in-one system is, I would stay far, far away from any integrated system if I could. I believe firmly in separate components for stereo equipment, so you don't have to replace the whole thing when one item fails or lags behind other upgrades in performance. In a car environment, failure is even more likely. And upgrade paths are severely limited when you can't just pop in a DIN or Double DIN replacement.
Old 10-23-14, 08:07 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

We need more updates from users of this upgrade.

Mine is working great so far.

Any recent acquisitions by anyone?
Old 10-23-14, 09:42 PM
KahnBB6

Duck05, thats great to hear. Do you plan to wire up any of the gauge inputs on your unit? That's the biggest draw for me: to the ordinary person it looks like a "stock" HVAC screen but for the driver/owner has virtual gauges that don't clutter the interior or draw attention. I've yet to see anyone demonstrate those functions in action.
Old 11-01-14, 04:36 AM
KahnBB6

I found this recent LXCC installation thread on SoarerCentral. This is into a RHD Soarer, not a USDM car. The owner doesn't go into too much detail but the manual pages are interesting.

http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...tml?1403849351
Old 11-16-14, 12:16 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finally installed the unit I bought from calitri.
I'm impressed with the features and usability, it probably took me about 2 minutes to figure out how to use the unit as it's rather intuitive, I'm not really a fan of the color scheme on the actual climate control page but that's not really a big deal honestly. The accelerometer and gyroscope are kind of hard to read but I don't think that data is meant to be read in real time, so downloading it to a computer or something is probably nice.

But it's definitely an upgrade over my burnt out climate control screen. We'll see how long it lasts. Also while I was back there I made a new ground, sanded away to the bare metal and got some ring terminals on there. I honestly can't believe the factory ground looked like that and I completely understand now why my head unit sometimes wouldn't turn on when it's cold. Later on I'm going to have to go back and split up the grounds though, there's a ground loop noise right now and I think if I split the grounds to different points the whine will go away.
Old 11-16-14, 08:19 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
I finally installed the unit I bought from calitri.
I'm impressed with the features and usability, it probably took me about 2 minutes to figure out how to use the unit as it's rather intuitive, I'm not really a fan of the color scheme on the actual climate control page but that's not really a big deal honestly. The accelerometer and gyroscope are kind of hard to read but I don't think that data is meant to be read in real time, so downloading it to a computer or something is probably nice.

But it's definitely an upgrade over my burnt out climate control screen. We'll see how long it lasts. Also while I was back there I made a new ground, sanded away to the bare metal and got some ring terminals on there. I honestly can't believe the factory ground looked like that and I completely understand now why my head unit sometimes wouldn't turn on when it's cold. Later on I'm going to have to go back and split up the grounds though, there's a ground loop noise right now and I think if I split the grounds to different points the whine will go away.
where is the ground located?
Old 11-16-14, 08:28 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by oldManTan
where is the ground located?
The bolts at the back of the firewall behind the center console.
I just soldered both the head unit and climate control ground to a 12 guage wire ran to a ring terminal on the factory ground bolt. I just sanded down the contact patch to bare metal so that it had a better contact patch.

Pretty sure the noise is coming from having them go through the same 12 gauge wire and not giving them seperate ground wires to that bolt. I'll probably go back there again on friday or saturday and re-do it. I'm considering upgrading my metra stereo harness with Raine's guide then too so I may as well do the grounds then too, it's a touch noisy at times and kind of bothers me.
Old 11-17-14, 11:20 PM
KahnBB6

eknine9,

Thank you for detailing the grounding issue you encountered and your fix for it. Any chance you can post us some pictures or a video of the virtual gauges even if you haven't got any sensors hooked up yet?
Old 11-17-14, 11:57 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
eknine9,

Thank you for detailing the grounding issue you encountered and your fix for it. Any chance you can post us some pictures or a video of the virtual gauges even if you haven't got any sensors hooked up yet?
You have to hook up gauges I think for them to display. Right now I just have the setup screen asking me to detail the parameters of a gauge I want to set up. I can try and enter in some dummy parameters to see if it just gives me a blank gauge. But I won't have time to do that until saturday.
Old 11-19-14, 12:45 PM
Yohan84
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about getting one of these really soon!!! Hows everyone unit doing that got one still? $450 is a little tuff pill to take but if its not good.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Climate Control (Popformance LXCC for 92-00 SC/Soarer)