Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket Climate Control (Popformance LXCC for 92-00 SC/Soarer)

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-14, 08:00 PM
bigwes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a really neat mod. I'll have to invest in this when it comes for me to do my engine swap cuz I'm not a huge fan of having a bunch of gauges either
Old 02-02-14, 12:32 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DoomLight
i found this on my Lexus SC300 group on facebook. i hope they make the UI (user interface) a bit more snazzy looking.
Agreed. Its a little cheesy w/ all the different colors. I'd rather it appear more OEM.
Although I love the "Lexus" boot screen; I've been wanting that in an in-dash monitor for years.
Old 02-02-14, 12:38 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Also, why didn't they put the SD Card on the same side as the USB, or even across from it on the opposite side, so at least its symmetrical? It being on the bottom right, while the USB is top left, makes it look too "all over the place". Lexus wouldn't have done it that way, IMHO. Further, the interface is the same thing. They got a random power button, floating in the middle there, in the way of everything … It's just weird.
I like it; it's definitely cool, but thats my only gripe, is that its not very attractive. The "unit" is, but the interface isn't.

Last edited by SEIDO; 02-02-14 at 03:16 AM.
Old 02-02-14, 03:18 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Just talked to the creator via Facebook; he said the colors are based on the OEM LED's, being green for "selection", orange for "defrost", and … I dunno whats red; but whatever.
I just really hate that random power button in the middle lol.
Old 02-02-14, 07:32 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Is this thing plug and play with the oem climate control harness?
Old 02-02-14, 10:21 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

The interesting and encouraging approach to their design is they have firmware and presumably software that can change and evolve the look and features/functions - and maybe even user configurable in the future.

A real concern though is the upgrade process needs to be robust in that a poor install of an upgrade does not "brick" the controller.

Whether or not new releases to fix issues or for changes is included with the purchase was not clear.

All that aside, for those that want features/functions beyond the OEM controller this is an exciting after market addition to the SC platform.
Old 02-02-14, 03:17 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Is this thing plug and play with the oem climate control harness?
Pretty sure it's not, you need to splice four wires. My only gripe is the color, my Climate Control is Orange, I'd like to remain the same color, but that's not available until an update is made so I'm going to hold out.
Old 02-02-14, 07:39 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It says you might not have to splice any wires if I read correctly. And even if it's 4 that's nothing, very simple. Look how much more involved it is to do double din and audio upgrades in our car.
Old 02-04-14, 10:31 AM
SCereal
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know if I missed it on the website but they won't start shipping until end of this month. I emailed Patrick (guy doing this) because I hadn't received any email updates at all other than paypal saying I sent money and he replied (fairly quickly I might add) that he's been meaning to send out an email with updates and the latest ship date would be march 1.

So tune back in middle of march for all the install / review threads.
Old 02-04-14, 12:22 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

splicing for power wires, ground, and a headlight illumination is about the easiest thing you can do since its all right there behind the stereo, on the stereo connector. In fact, if you have gone aftermarket headunit, you or the installer has already spliced those wire before unless you found the elusive plug and play stereo harness.

There are many more wires for the climate control though if those plug in then splicing the other 4 is not that bad.
stock climate control probably doesn't have illumination wire I don't think it changes at all when the headlights come on.
Old 02-06-14, 12:36 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thing looks awesome!
Old 02-06-14, 01:48 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Like any product and design, there will be minor issues if any. I think this is a great product for the SC and really helps the car look more modern, if this is the look you are after. Overall I haven't ordered one, due to I want to wait to see if there are huge problems or interface issues with certain years. I want to see it installed with a month of two of constant use and abuse and see what people on here have to say.
Old 02-06-14, 07:29 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
Like any product and design, there will be minor issues if any. I think this is a great product for the SC and really helps the car look more modern, if this is the look you are after. Overall I haven't ordered one, due to I want to wait to see if there are huge problems or interface issues with certain years. I want to see it installed with a month of two of constant use and abuse and see what people on here have to say.
^^^ This. I am *very* interested too but I want to make sure its bugs have been worked out before buying one. The virtual gauges and boost controller functions are appealing. When I've got my new engine swapped in I'll be ready (since I'll have a reason to use a boost controller).

But no matter how good it is I will keep my original climate controller in storage. Partly because it's a functional, visually original part of the interior and also to have an OEM fallback in case it's needed.
Old 02-06-14, 08:24 PM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How the hell did I miss this?!?!
Definitely a cool product and I'm glad to see someone put the effort into something like this for our cars! I almost jumped right in and bought but I too would like to see some longer term durability updates as in Minnesota I cannot afford to be without heat! I'd also like to see how the screen does when it's -25 outside (like right now, here). And, even at $400 it's a great price! I'm in once it's been proven a little more!!!
Old 02-06-14, 08:35 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Well, I ordered one for my '92 SC300 and will get it installed as soon as I can (after the arrival)...

Not sure being in "sunny" California it will get the level of use some are waiting on before investing. Willing to be an "early adopter" for the esthetic improvement potential.

The current controller's LCD panel is fading on the right hand side so this is purely a visual upgrade as it would be some time before (if ever) I would go beyond the original controller's functions.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Climate Control (Popformance LXCC for 92-00 SC/Soarer)