Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Aftermarket Climate Control (Popformance LXCC for 92-00 SC/Soarer)

Old 07-08-14, 10:17 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

i'm gonna wait until this is like 200 bucks lol.
Old 07-09-14, 02:46 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
i'm gonna wait until this is like 200 bucks lol.
That's not going to happen. The price is already adjusted :P But hey, maybe they'll adjust it some more. Just not to $200.

I've also been planning to buy one of these and I am very interested to know if they stand behind their product or not. Not assuming anything, just waiting to hear what people's impressions are.
Old 07-09-14, 03:14 AM
CBlack0
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, looks crazy awesome!
Old 07-10-14, 09:06 AM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
You should ask them for one, or at least to inspect and repair the one they sent you. It's a new product and there may be a couple of glitchy ones in their first batch. They should stand behind it if you can send it in.

If for some reason they won't honor an inspection/repair/replacement.... then that's another story.
Originally Posted by eknine9
Also if they don't want to do that I'd like to hear about it since I intend on dropping part of my paycheck on it in 2-3 days.
Have a whole new issue now. Drove 45 minutes yesterday to get an alignment from a recommended place. On the way there the unit just shut off. I turned the car off and on a few times and the unit didn't boot up. After a few hours I tried it again and it began to boot but froze on the lexus boot screen like it's been doing. Also I've noticed that after setting the time and date on the unit it eventually reverts back to the default Jan 1st 12:00am. I mean it's only 4 wires that were spliced so I doubt it's operator error, it works fine when it works. Had to leave my car overnight so they could raise it and realign it so I haven't been able to further look into it. After I can I will be contacting the developers of the unit for sure. This is starting to become a joke of a unit. Sorry I wasted my money at this point
Old 07-10-14, 12:06 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Durrby
Have a whole new issue now. Drove 45 minutes yesterday to get an alignment from a recommended place. On the way there the unit just shut off. I turned the car off and on a few times and the unit didn't boot up. After a few hours I tried it again and it began to boot but froze on the lexus boot screen like it's been doing. Also I've noticed that after setting the time and date on the unit it eventually reverts back to the default Jan 1st 12:00am. I mean it's only 4 wires that were spliced so I doubt it's operator error, it works fine when it works. Had to leave my car overnight so they could raise it and realign it so I haven't been able to further look into it. After I can I will be contacting the developers of the unit for sure. This is starting to become a joke of a unit. Sorry I wasted my money at this point
sucks that the unit is taking a dump on you. but overnight alignment??? got my alignment at pepboys in 1 hour, and 3 month warranty so i gotta get my suspension mods in and go in for another alignment lol
Old 07-10-14, 12:33 PM
Durrby
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I didn't want to make a long post longer but there's more to it. I had them mount tires on a new set of wheels. They were stretched and the rears didn't want to hold. So they swapped new rears to the front and reused my old rear tires. By the time they started to align it it was almost 7pm and they closed at 8. The new setup is more aggressive and trying to work with the current height (tucking tires all around) they were at -7° camber in the rear and it still wasn't clearing. They called it a night and they are working on it today by raising it and trying again. Also added Megan rear toe arms, camber arms and tracton rods so it's more than a simple alignment.
Old 07-10-14, 12:54 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ been following on IG, the new wheels look great!
Old 07-10-14, 04:37 PM
KahnBB6

Durrby, based on what you've described I'd call Popformance and obtain an RMA number for them to inspect it and repair or replace for you. None of that sounds good. These are a brand new aftermarket design and it's possible a couple of these may have issues. I'm giving the designer/technician the benefit of the doubt that he accounted for vehicle vibration, increased vibration from stiffer suspensions or rough terrain, built in enough cooling for the electronics and used high quality parts for the internals.

And you have the firmware updated to the latest revision, correct?

They should inspect it and see what the issue is.
Old 07-11-14, 09:09 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Seems new units aren't even available right now... guess I'll buy something else lol.
Old 07-11-14, 03:44 PM
KahnBB6

^^ I just saw that. Probably the designer/owner has seen a couple of issues crop up in the first batch and is correcting them for the next run. Or else it's just that much of a low volume product that it can only be available in batches.

Still want to hear any feedback from current owners who had to send theirs back for repair or replacement.
Old 07-11-14, 07:29 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

My unit failed after just one week. I held back reporting that on here since these are new units and Patrick has put a lot of design, effort, testing, into the controller and it is always difficult getting a new product off the ground. Especially one so specialized for our cars.

While not the "swiftest" at turn around, he was really responsive as to communicating what was going on with my unit. The unit experienced a "cold solder" connection on the main chip which was quite involved to swap out. He even went ahead and made a few other hardware changes and loaded the latest firmware.

I just got it re-installed today and on the 90 minute drive home so far so good. This is a step up from the stock climate controller and kind of a "luxury" item; those that take advantage of the gauge display options (the install/hook up process, accuracy, visual quality, etc) will be the real benefactors of this product. The climate control portion is an upgrade but certainly not essential (but real cool looking.....).

Not sure what others have to say about his "customer service" but I can not complain and am happy with the response and results. It will now be up to the unit to perform and be reliable. However, if it does fail again I am confident that he will make it good.....
Attached Thumbnails Aftermarket Climate Control (Popformance LXCC for 92-00 SC/Soarer)-sc300-212.jpg  
Old 07-12-14, 02:14 AM
KahnBB6

Duck05, thank you for that update and review. I'm glad to hear Patrick (the designer) is responding to initial build issues as one would expect. I figured it had something to do with the type of solder used (lead-free solder?) which I know can be tricky. Hope he's solved it by now and is implementing the fix in future builds.

I have also been looking seriously at this unit to serve virtual gauges for oil pressure, boost pressure, A/F ratio and fuel pressure. I think his boost controller option may not be the best option for me as I've heard that the HKS EVC-4/5/6 are the only boost controllers that work well with GTE sequential turbos. Obviously most people aren't running those.

Thanks and do keep us updated especially if you take advantage of some of the optional firmware.
Old 07-12-14, 12:33 PM
jimbow
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it. But I always loved the way the mkiv supra climate controls look. I may try to adapt them in my car in the next few years.
Old 08-10-14, 01:51 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Been about a month (after the repair) and the unit is performing as expected...... Sent a quick note to Patrick.

Hard to tell how many members invested in this upgrade. Would like to see more pics and get status along with anyone leveraging the capabilities beyond the climate functions.
Old 08-10-14, 03:06 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Duck05
Been about a month (after the repair) and the unit is performing as expected...... Sent a quick note to Patrick.

Hard to tell how many members invested in this upgrade. Would like to see more pics and get status along with anyone leveraging the capabilities beyond the climate functions.
Good to hear. I still want to buy one, but lol still says they are unavailable so I'll just sit on the money, it's about time for me to get a new front lip anyways.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Climate Control (Popformance LXCC for 92-00 SC/Soarer)