SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: how was my first thread?
GREAT
42.86%
alright
42.86%
meh
14.29%
try harder lol
0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

OEM VOLUME BUTTON OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-13, 11:19 PM
scotia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb OEM VOLUME BUTTON OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel

THIS CAN BE USED FOR ANYTHING YOU WANT TO HOOK UP TO BUTTON
okay so I recently got a woodgrain quick release now I was going to rig a horn up to the steering wheel but I decided since I don't use the volume button for the oem radio I might as well put it to use(I don't use it because my double din hass its own button)
Needed
solder/ soldering gun
wire/wire cutter of some sort
Phillips screwdriver
preferably wire taps
mini Phillips screw driver
AND a little bit of patience

OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-dash.jpg
so first you will take out your dash and steering wheel

OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-board.jpg
now detach this guy from your trim of the center console you will need a Phillips for that
now you will have to open it up there are 6 mini screws you need to take out of the circuit board.
also some side clips to push in when pulling it out

OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-naked.jpg
this is what you will have. you will now need the solder and gun

OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-connected.jpg
solder the wires to these guys it does not matter which because the whole system is one big negative wire (make sure one wire is long enough to go from your dash to the steering wheel. id say about a foot and a half to be safe) other wire is just being grounded
best to hold these wires both to a ground and push the volume button it to make sure you connected right
Old 03-08-13, 11:29 PM
scotia
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-holes.jpg
now I took out the two little blue bulbs and pulled the wire through here, my other option which I tried just didn't want to play around with it long was melt two holes in the side of the plastic casing with the solder gun for the wire to come through. you pick.
now screw the screw the board back in with the mini screws
now screw the whole thing back into the console trim

OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-under.jpg
take your longer wire through the back console of the driver side and have it come out by your pedals, now thread it up to your steering column

OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-steering.jpg
self tap the wire to the green wire or cut and connect
connect your shorter wire to a ground. I used one of the screws holding the double din in
push the volume (your new horn button) again to make sure you have a solid connection

OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-20130306_162812.jpg
green-horn red-cruise power peach-cruise speed brown-cruise power orange- 0 grey-0
black white red white/black olive black

NOW PUT YOUR CONSOLE TOGETHER AND YOUR WHEEL AND ENJOY YOUR NEW HORN ( I use my knee to beep my horn...just sayin) I have a video on The sc crew on facebook I am james swain
OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-wheel.jpg
Old 03-08-13, 11:31 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

Well, if it works for you then it was a good mod. It's impractical and not one of those everybody is gonna drop what they are doing and make theirs kind of thing, but in terms of just doing something you need and making it work in your favor, then cool beans.
Old 03-08-13, 11:36 PM
scotia
Driver School Candidate

green-horn red-cruise power peach-cruise speed brown-cruise power orange- 0 grey-0
black- horn white-cruise power red-cruise speed white/black- cruise power olive-0 black-0
Old 03-08-13, 11:37 PM
scotia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Well, if it works for you then it was a good mod. It's impractical and not one of those everybody is gonna drop what they are doing and make theirs kind of thing, but in terms of just doing something you need and making it work in your favor, then cool beans.
yeah just put it together for a couple people who were asking. it isn't for everyone I was fine without a horn so it doesn't really matter but it does also show how to wire something else up to this switch
Old 03-09-13, 08:17 AM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Why did you have to go through all the trouble of taking apart and soldering?

All I did was tap into the orange and green wires using T-taps to make my volume button a momentary switch for my external police horn I have on my SC. Same concept for the factory horn.
Old 03-09-13, 11:54 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pretty cool tip man, I'm going to be upgrading my radio and I'd hate to have a button that does nothing there. I'll try and think about something else other then the horn though because I'm going for the RX 300 steering wheel conversion and I'll have a horn, but we'll see what happens. Quick question, what model double din radio do you have installed there?
Old 03-09-13, 02:50 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Pretty cool idea. Its what you like, thats all that matters. I havent seen anyone use this for an Epicenter control **** by Audio Control. All the major stereo geeks will know what that is!!!
Old 03-09-13, 09:29 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I wired mine for my sub control. Turned out great.

Shane
Attached Thumbnails OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-vol1.jpg   OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-vol2.jpg   OEM VOLUME BUTTON  OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel-vol3.jpg  
Old 03-10-13, 09:03 PM
96blksc300
Driver

Not a bad idea.
Old 03-10-13, 10:53 PM
Kalogerus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, I really wanted to connect an on/off switch there just didnt feel like extending wires and cutting half the board. Big ups
Old 03-11-13, 07:28 PM
mikevandam
Driver

haha this is pretty awesome!
Old 03-11-13, 09:46 PM
samc
Driver School Candidate

wonder if I could turn that in to the push button starter
Old 03-15-13, 10:30 PM
scotia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luxor
Why did you have to go through all the trouble of taking apart and soldering?

All I did was tap into the orange and green wires using T-taps to make my volume button a momentary switch for my external police horn I have on my SC. Same concept for the factory horn.
every wire I tried to connect to just grounded it out and had not button function

Originally Posted by Biddles
Pretty cool tip man, I'm going to be upgrading my radio and I'd hate to have a button that does nothing there. I'll try and think about something else other then the horn though because I'm going for the RX 300 steering wheel conversion and I'll have a horn, but we'll see what happens. Quick question, what model double din radio do you have installed there?
all I know about the double din is that its a kenwood, seen a couple people with them. I got mine for free from a buddy

Originally Posted by Kalogerus
Thanks, I really wanted to connect an on/off switch there just didnt feel like extending wires and cutting half the board. Big ups
thanks man glad I could help!

Originally Posted by samc
wonder if I could turn that in to the push button starter
hmmm that is actually a sweet idea! please try it and let me know. might have to change the care around haha
Old 03-15-13, 10:33 PM
scotia
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SSmith
I wired mine for my sub control. Turned out great.

Shane
nice job I like that idea also!
love seeing what everyone comes up with

Quick Reply: OEM VOLUME BUTTON OTHER USES/HORN FIX for people with quick release steering wheel