SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Quick question: On a 2 week battery drain

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-13, 06:49 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Quick question: On a 2 week battery drain

As some of you know, I do not use my SC very much at all. It get's probably around 500-800 miles a year if even. Anyway, way back in May of 2012, I replaced the battery with an Everstart Walmart battery. Recently though, if I don't use the SC for around 1 1/2 weeks-2, the battery will not provide enough cranking amps to start the V8. There is a drain somewhere, but I don't know where. My Q is, has there been any known drainage areas on the SC? I was thinking the CD player light in the trunk, but that isn't very big and couldn't drain a battery that fast...or can it?
I shut the doors all of the way and see that the "open door" light is not illuminating so that isn't it.
Any ideas are appreciated. OR, if there has already been a thread on this, could somebody show it to me? I can't find one...Thanks!
Old 02-26-13, 10:19 AM
Qu0Cie
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you check the alternator
Old 02-26-13, 10:25 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

No, but i think it's obvious there is a drain somewhere, I doubt it is the alternator...thanks for the suggestion though...any others?
Old 02-26-13, 10:54 AM
marvabetic
Rookie

I had that simiar problem as well. Is it cold where you live right now. I know that in cold weather if the battery doesn't have as much cold cranking amps it will cause a problem. I know that the standard antitheft system drains some battery and or if you have an aftermarket alarm system on. I know that when my SC would sit for 1 to 2 weeks at a time and we drove it once it wasn't enough to charge a battery unless we drove it around for like 20 mintues or longer non stop. If you drive it around town for small trips and start it up alot then it doesn't charge enough. Then what happens is you let it sit for another two weeks and then this type of cycle kills the battery over time. I use a battery charger every now and then to help solve this problem so I don't ruin the battery.
Old 02-26-13, 11:14 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
No, but i think it's obvious there is a drain somewhere, I doubt it is the alternator...thanks for the suggestion though...any others?
Sorry to re-mention something you have already 'volleyed" but.....
My 95' Sc400 did not start 4 times this winter since I purchased it in december. I assumed a drain as well but i was unsuccessful at finding one. I went to purchase a new battery but was told it was good (as was my alternator according to Sears tech).

I purchased a
<b><u>backup battery</u></b> backup battery
and a
<b><u>cig lighter volt meter</u></b> cig lighter volt meter
the next day.
Low and behold, it was my alternator.
I replaced it and have not had to use my backup battery since.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 02-26-13 at 11:18 AM.
Old 02-26-13, 11:32 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have also been finding out about more about this problem. I think it also cpoul dbe a faulty or going oout ECU. If the battery and alternator has been checked and good, then look at the ECU caps.
Old 02-26-13, 11:47 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This will continue to happen the draining of the battery, if you let the Sc sit for long periods without starting/running. It's a combination of things from the ejection/security light, on the CD unit & locking the doors. Finally you have the memory chip, for things like the clock etc. continuously drawning current from the battery. The only solution to your problem is to buy a battery floater charger as I did, when my Sc is dormant. http://www.harborfreight.com/checkout/cart/

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 02-26-13 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-26-13, 12:19 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by marvabetic
I had that simiar problem as well. Is it cold where you live right now. I know that in cold weather if the battery doesn't have as much cold cranking amps it will cause a problem. I know that the standard antitheft system drains some battery and or if you have an aftermarket alarm system on. I know that when my SC would sit for 1 to 2 weeks at a time and we drove it once it wasn't enough to charge a battery unless we drove it around for like 20 mintues or longer non stop. If you drive it around town for small trips and start it up alot then it doesn't charge enough. Then what happens is you let it sit for another two weeks and then this type of cycle kills the battery over time. I use a battery charger every now and then to help solve this problem so I don't ruin the battery.
Do not have aftermarket security unit installed, and I do charge the battery with my battery charger. Thanks for the suggestion(s)

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Sorry to re-mention something you have already 'volleyed" but.....
My 95' Sc400 did not start 4 times this winter since I purchased it in december. I assumed a drain as well but i was unsuccessful at finding one. I went to purchase a new battery but was told it was good (as was my alternator according to Sears tech).

I purchased a backup battery and a cig lighter volt meter the next day.
Low and behold, it was my alternator.
I replaced it and have not had to use my backup battery since.
I hope it's not the alternator...thanks for the info

Originally Posted by 1JZPWRD
I have also been finding out about more about this problem. I think it also cpoul dbe a faulty or going oout ECU. If the battery and alternator has been checked and good, then look at the ECU caps.
Yeesh, alternator...or the ECU? Yikers, not fun stuff to deal with. Just doesn't make sense to me how such a small minor thing can be such a costly part...hope it isn't the ECU. Cuz if it IS< I'll live with the drainage for a while... thanks for the suggestion(s) Mark. It is greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
This will continue to happen the draining of the battery, if you let the Sc sit for long periods without starting/running. It's a combination of things from the ejection/security light, on the CD unit & locking the doors. Finally you have the memory chip, for things like the clock etc. continuously drawning current from the battery. The only solution to your problem is to buy a battery floater charger as I did, when my Sc is dormant. http://www.harborfreight.com/checkout/cart/
Very good idea, I might just ****** one of these next time I'm by a Harbor Freight! Just call my SC, an exterior dwelling dormant.

Thanks for all of the ideas, all of your suggestions are greatly appreciated and I'm not just saying that.
Old 02-26-13, 01:26 PM
sc400ka
Pole Position

well do what i do! put in 100amp power cut off in. so if i dont use the car i trip the button and no power to anything. just a thought works great as a power cut off at the track just in case as well.

(Deleted ebay Link; read forum rules, you can post pictures from there but not the link)

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-26-13 at 01:35 PM. Reason: removed ebay link; please post picture instead
Old 02-26-13, 01:34 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

My SC does the exact same thing in the cold and it drove me crazy among other ecu problems.
As Teal said its a combo of all the electronics working because I replaced my battery with a new one twice, kept doing the same thing it would have full energy, until the first time I let it sit over a week.

before the first battery replacement I had the alternator tested and it passed easily. If I drive the car every day it never happens, so I think the alternator is ok, although a new one never hurts.

I heard some of the models have a switch under the steering column to turn off the remote stuff, which you are supossed to do if it sits for long periods of time, so Lexus was aware of battery drain on these cars. I dont think all the models have the switch though, but what I do is I installed a battery disconnect fuse right next to the battery. when it sits for long, I just push the button and the battery is disconnected. even If I leave it sitting for weeks when you flip the switch back you haven't had any drain and it starts right up.

This is what I use
Its called 200 AMP Circuit Breaker, usually used for big car setero's but it works perfect for the car battery, just get the right gauge. Also its nice cause the circuit trips if you short anything out, and you can just fix the problem and flip it back on instead of having to go the auto parts store to get a 100-200 amp fuse (if your battery is relocated or you have amps in the car) or keep a stack in the glove box (very annoying and those fuses are expensive to keep replacing).
Old 02-26-13, 01:50 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by sc400ka
well do what i do! put in 100amp power cut off in. so if i dont use the car i trip the button and no power to anything. just a thought works great as a power cut off at the track just in case as well.

(Deleted ebay Link; read forum rules, you can post pictures from there but not the link)
Thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
My SC does the exact same thing in the cold and it drove me crazy among other ecu problems.
As Teal said its a combo of all the electronics working because I replaced my battery with a new one twice, kept doing the same thing it would have full energy, until the first time I let it sit over a week.

before the first battery replacement I had the alternator tested and it passed easily. If I drive the car every day it never happens, so I think the alternator is ok, although a new one never hurts.

I heard some of the models have a switch under the steering column to turn off the remote stuff, which you are supossed to do if it sits for long periods of time, so Lexus was aware of battery drain on these cars. I dont think all the models have the switch though, but what I do is I installed a battery disconnect fuse right next to the battery. when it sits for long, I just push the button and the battery is disconnected. even If I leave it sitting for weeks when you flip the switch back you haven't had any drain and it starts right up.

This is what I use
Its called 200 AMP Circuit Breaker, usually used for big car setero's but it works perfect for the car battery, just get the right gauge. Also its nice cause the circuit trips if you short anything out, and you can just fix the problem and flip it back on instead of having to go the auto parts store to get a 100-200 amp fuse (if your battery is relocated or you have amps in the car) or keep a stack in the glove box (very annoying and those fuses are expensive to keep replacing).
I think I'll get one for myself, Great idea!! Thanks Ali.
Old 02-26-13, 02:11 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah alot of people use those for various reasons, Its either that or a trickle charger, but I don't like having the trickle constantly connected to the battery while its connected to the car. I keep a full charger though for the times when I forget to disconnect it and it sits long enough to struggle to start, or I will disconnect it (via the switch) and then use the trickle, but I found disconnecting was all that was needed.
Old 02-26-13, 05:55 PM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my car was notorious for this happening until i bought big daddy battery.

ODYSSEY PC 1500 group 34r size. my cars been sitting for over a year now and when i went back to the states it started right up. doesnt get cold in GA though... even if it did the battery has 850cc at like -40 degrees F
Old 02-26-13, 06:39 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah alot of people use those for various reasons, Its either that or a trickle charger, but I don't like having the trickle constantly connected to the battery while its connected to the car. I keep a full charger though for the times when I forget to disconnect it and it sits long enough to struggle to start, or I will disconnect it (via the switch) and then use the trickle, but I found disconnecting was all that was needed.
Ok, I looked into it and it look's like Lowe's has one for 60 bucks. Thanks.

Originally Posted by iridebmx
my car was notorious for this happening until i bought big daddy battery.

ODYSSEY PC 1500 group 34r size. my cars been sitting for over a year now and when i went back to the states it started right up. doesnt get cold in GA though... even if it did the battery has 850cc at like -40 degrees F
Sounds like a $500 battery...
Old 02-26-13, 06:45 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Ok, I looked into it and it look's like Lowe's has one for 60 bucks. Thanks.

Sounds like a $500 battery...
Keep in mind the circuit breaker device causes the setting/functions of the Sc to reset.

Quick Reply: Quick question: On a 2 week battery drain