SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 03:23 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lol
If you have the equipment you can paint a car for $500 or less. It just takes alot of elbow grease. Did it to my old 87 MR2, I'll be doing my SC400 as well.

Ferrari Blue? Looks good man, real good. Definitely want to see your end result *****, as my car needs a paint job soon too after a little body work. My brother has the tools too, he did his 240, but he rushed it. Cost him about $900 I believe including the tools.
Old 04-30-13, 05:18 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
well in case you guys didnt belive me I went to my material supplier and got myself this nice box of goodies.

1 gallon of clear high gloss urethane with 1 quart of hardener (sherwin williams) = $100.00 cdn
2 quarts of 4k9 (91-97) base coat = $100.00
5 Paint filters= free

This is not to try to rub it in peoples face or anything like that, this is just to show you guys the reality of how cheap it really is.

These materials are very good quality, I already tested the clear on my wheels that I refinished and it looks and sands amazing and with 1 gallon of clear and 2 quarts of base I should have plenty of extra for later touch ups if needed.

Ill be starting my car this week or next ill try to make a thread about it ,or post in this one to show the results
This is not to rub it in your face either but this isnt a high quality paint, and youre not painting a whole car with 2 quarts of base. Jesus man, i never even heard of this brand before and yes that means its not popular product there for its not high quality. PPG,Sikkens,Dupount,BASF top leading 4 brands in any high quality body shop if you dont belive me, i dont know what to tell you. You have to at least Seal your sanded area if youre not going to prime it just FYI.
Old 04-30-13, 07:23 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by MDSC
This is not to rub it in your face either but this isnt a high quality paint, and youre not painting a whole car with 2 quarts of base. Jesus man, i never even heard of this brand before and yes that means its not popular product there for its not high quality. PPG,Sikkens,Dupount,BASF top leading 4 brands in any high quality body shop if you dont belive me, i dont know what to tell you. You have to at least Seal your sanded area if youre not going to prime it just FYI.
Listen man im done arguing with you, even the top of the line brands are still only $300 or so per gallon, this clear I have is made by sherwin williams which is a respected name in itself.

All these materials I have are sold wholesale to local auto body shops around toronto, they are not some walmart brand.

Also why do u think I have 2 quarts of base? Answer= that is exactly what my body shop guy told me to get ,he said 'it will be plenty', so is he wrong too?

Moving on now.
Old 05-04-13, 09:32 AM
BAD954BOI
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol.. This thread is rich MDSC gave his honest opinion that's all you can ask for at this point..
The ball is now in the OP's court I'm in for the buzzer beater shot its either a hit or miss at this point
Old 05-04-13, 10:34 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

hey guys im about to start the work,, does anyone know if I can easily remove the weather stripping from the d/s and p/s windows and then put it back on after?

or will I need to order new weather stripping ? Will I be able to shove it back in with a flathead or a pointy object or is it more difficult then that?

Is this something to leave to the pros or is it something we can do on our own?

Thanks I didnt want start a new thread just for this.
Old 05-05-13, 07:56 AM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

hey guys im about to start the work,, does anyone know if I can easily remove the weather stripping from the d/s and p/s windows and then put it back on after?

or will I need to order new weather stripping ? Will I be able to shove it back in with a flathead or a pointy object or is it more difficult then that?

Is this something to leave to the pros or is it something we can do on our own?

Thanks I didnt want start a new thread just for this.
remove the door planel, and upper trim the are screwed in
Old 05-05-13, 01:36 PM
2BENVD
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I like my dents and scratches

shows character and my battle wounds
lol true story
Old 05-14-13, 02:32 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Listen man im done arguing with you, even the top of the line brands are still only $300 or so per gallon, this clear I have is made by sherwin williams which is a respected name in itself.

All these materials I have are sold wholesale to local auto body shops around toronto, they are not some walmart brand.

Also why do u think I have 2 quarts of base? Answer= that is exactly what my body shop guy told me to get ,he said 'it will be plenty', so is he wrong too?

Moving on now.
You're correct high quality clear is 300 per gallon like BASF Glasurit plus 130-150$ for hardner so thats almost 500 just in clear
Old 05-14-13, 03:09 PM
Kohinoor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

LOL, maybe somone with a real paint job can chime in, like Kohinoor comes to mind. 1000 hours is way over the top dont know what i was thinking more like 300-400. Includes body work, prep, kit fitment. Paint and about 30 hours of wet sanding afterwards .
not sure how i missed this thread. as the old saying goes - do it right and do it once, or do it wrong and do it twice.

$200-300 for a diy seems really low for materials (even at wholesale), but i am not an expert. one should also consider their personal time as a cost.

100+ pics of the bodywork on my car
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8137933&type=1

whether you diy or take it to a shop, PLEASE make sure everything is removed properly. a great paintjob can be ruined when corners are cut and parts aren't painted separately. i cringe when i see paintjobs at shops and door handles, lights, etc are only masked.

Last edited by Kohinoor; 05-14-13 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-14-13, 06:40 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

You're correct high quality clear is 300 per gallon like BASF Glasurit plus 130-150$ for hardner so thats almost 500 just in clear
yes that sounds about right and that is for pretty much the best quality.

My original point was that you can do a 'decent' job for $500 or less, that of course would not include buying the most expensive materials on the market.

I think you could do it with the highest quality materials for $1000 or so.

Originally Posted by Kohinoor
not sure how i missed this thread. as the old saying goes - do it right and do it once, or do it wrong and do it twice.

$200-300 for a diy seems really low for materials (even at wholesale), but i am not an expert. one should also consider their personal time as a cost.

100+ pics of the bodywork on my car
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8137933&type=1

whether you diy or take it to a shop, PLEASE make sure everything is removed properly. a great paintjob can be ruined when corners are cut and parts aren't painted separately. i cringe when i see paintjobs at shops and door handles, lights, etc are only masked.
I agree with you 100%, I am not saying it will be a show quality job but you could pull off a pretty nice job on a budget if you take your time and do it right , im having issues with the weatherstripping on the outside of the window , so as of now ive only painted my hood , trunk, and body kit.

I had tiger striping on the hood and I had to re do it all over again, but as of now its looking good, I wasted a lot of base on that though its a very big surface.

And yes prep is one of the most important factor with these jobs, if u cut corners it will come back to you later.

ill post pics for you guys when im done, still need to pull my fenders before I can finish up.
Old 05-14-13, 10:37 PM
RocketGS4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting thread here...im a newbie and wanted to "sport up" my Burnished Gold Metallic GS400. Without spending a lot of money on paint and then worry if i wouldnt like it, i tried plastidip..its not too bad (yes its temporary ..but thats the cool thing about it. I can peel it off and go paint it if i want). The purpose here was to accent and make my "old man car" look a little more tough. Granted, real paint is ideal, but for $5 per can...its a cheap way to see if you want to go permanent.

Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-img-20130514-01625.jpg
Sorry i didnt take a pic before i masked, but you see the lower grill is gold (as you all know since you probably own one.)

Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-img-20130514-01626.jpg
before, just plain and ordinary

Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-img-20130514-01637.jpg
upper and lower grill done in black..and very bottom of the bumper, leaving the gold trim in the middle

Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)-img-20130514-01643.jpg
Got windy and cooler so i will do the center Lexus emblem tomorrow
Old 05-15-13, 08:51 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

well in case you guys didnt belive me I went to my material supplier and got myself this nice box of goodies.

1 gallon of clear high gloss urethane with 1 quart of hardener (sherwin williams) = $100.00 cdn
2 quarts of 4k9 (91-97) base coat = $100.00
5 Paint filters= free

This is not to try to rub it in peoples face or anything like that, this is just to show you guys the reality of how cheap it really is.

These materials are very good quality, I already tested the clear on my wheels that I refinished and it looks and sands amazing and with 1 gallon of clear and 2 quarts of base I should have plenty of extra for later touch ups if needed.

Ill be starting my car this week or next ill try to make a thread about it ,or post in this one to show the results
Looking forward to it *****!
Old 05-15-13, 09:16 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Joey-E
Looking forward to it *****!
Thanks Joey Buddy

I got my wheels done now and all that's left is giving my fenders a nice pull , should be done soon
Old 05-17-13, 12:15 AM
xHypnofish
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for pics. Although I did enjoy reading all these pages of info where the original claim was blown far out of proportion.
Old 07-18-16, 12:03 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What was the end result *****? Any pics of the finished paint job?

Truth be told I'm thinking of going to Maaco. I know people hate it, swear against it, but I know someone who had there 240 done about a year ago for $400 and it looks pretty damn good. Sure there's orange peel if you're looking at it closely, but if you're not too **** it looks great overall. So I'm thinking of doing all the prep, patching a few dents, and dropping it off to those guys soon. I'll remove all the emblems and some plastic/rubber stuff before going through with it.

Here's a few shots of the 240 Maaco painted. It was cloudy out, but the car has a great shine.

Quick Reply: Paint Job Costs DIY and PRO (moved from plasti-dipping thread)