SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Chopped SC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-13, 11:56 AM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure your ideas are forreal or your just trolling.

You will just ruin the structural integrity of the roof/ windshield pillars. If you flip over your roof will collapse and the cars weight will just sqash you. You better put a roll cage in.

Last edited by Joey-E; 02-01-13 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 01:45 PM
biturbo632
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In fact i'm 6f3 and have already my head touching the liner, when using an helmet for racing, I have to get my head in the sunroof hole. So getting 2-3 inches off the top to lower it.. Hell no!!!!! But If you're 5ft tall, feel free to to it!
Old 02-01-13, 02:40 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

I figure, the reason I fell in love with the chassis was due to the large amounts of engineering and creativity that went into creating it and it's style. Who am I to try to upscale them??!! I love my car the way it is, I could never dream of chop topping it!!
Old 02-01-13, 02:44 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

lol its just one random idea after another isnt it man.

Hey, how about a flying SC like in back to the future???
Old 02-01-13, 02:49 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Should I start a "group buy" thread for people that want to get their roofs chopped?

If we get 15 people to sign up, there could potentially be a 25% discount on labor and materials.
Old 02-01-13, 05:11 PM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

also not for me. Being 6'1 in the car is scary, plus if it rolled id likely die as it is, and with ruining the support of the roof, and making less room in there would be very uncomfortable. you would have to REALLY lower the seats or something to make this work.

but +1 for trying/ thinking of something new.
Old 02-01-13, 06:21 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Im not trolling at all; Im just asking if it's been done, so I can see if it's worth moving forward with.
Why don't you guys come up with something original yourselves then? I have't seen anyone do so, besides that guy who turned it into a Dune Buggy.

Secondly, you're obviously enjoying the bash fest, 'cus that chopped look if done right, is NOT ugly at all.
I know that wasn't as bad an idea as you're making it sound.
If you're tall, don't do it then; but Im 5'9, so it' wouldn't be an issue. Besides, if you're taller you shouldn't have a low sports car to begin with, so don't even talk s***, like your ideas are soooo sensible ...

This was not a terrible idea, nor was it random either.
Old 02-01-13, 06:29 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CityKnight
Im not trolling at all; Im just asking if it's been done, so I can see if it's worth moving forward with.
Why don't you guys come up with something original yourselves then? I have't seen anyone do so, besides that guy who turned it into a Dune Buggy.

Secondly, you're obviously enjoying the bash fest, 'cus that chopped look if done right, is NOT ugly at all.
I know that wasn't as bad an idea as you're making it sound.
If you're tall, don't do it then; but Im 5'9, so it' wouldn't be an issue. Besides, if you're taller you shouldn't have a low sports car to begin with, so don't even talk s***, like your ideas are soooo sensible ...

This was not a terrible idea.
This is getting interesting!

Don't take it personally dude. It's just a forum. People have opinions. People are going to comment.

And also people would take these threads alot more seriously if you actually did something with them and not just go off making ten more threads about ten new ideas without ever realizing the first ten ideas you had. Just something to chew on.

If you really look into how much something like this is going to cost to produce, you're quickly going to understand that it's not realistic. It's going to cost more than your car is worth when you factor in how much labor it's going to require, getting new glass made, modifying the A pillars which are part of the door structure, making custom interior pieces, and so forth. Can it be done? Sure....who is going to do it? Probably nobody.
Old 02-01-13, 06:54 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

I post my ideas in order to get feedback "first"; before I go along with a build.
I don't build first, and then "hope" everyone likes it; that would be stupid (especially if nobody did).
I could ask: Should I get Vertex Body-Kit, or Keep it Stock and go Wingless; but things like that have been asked (and done) a million times already. So why would I bother?
On the other had, if something hasn't been done, and isn't in the Search results either; then it's necessary to put it out there and get opinions. That's why Extreme Dimensions is here; they don't just invent things, and hope we'll bite.

Personally, I think a chopped-SC would look sweet in the way that an SLR does.
You don't have to chop 6" off the roof; maybe just 2" only, so it's a very subtle, yet noticeable difference.
I don't think it would rob from the cars original looks that much; I really don't; 'cus it's not a new roof, it's the same roof, same curves, only lower.
I'll admit when Im wrong though; the fenders weren't as much of a hit as I imagined they'd be; but this time, even with a crappy cropped image vs photoshop, I don't think it's that bad. I think it could come out really nice.
Cost on the other hand is another issue; but like someone said in another thread, a person will pay for "whatever their happiness costs them".
E.g. People thought I was crazy buying 1600 wheels; but thats what my happiness cost, and they turned-out great.
This isn't some ricer body kit, and s****y graphics, or one of those weird grafting jobs, with Benz lights on a Lexus.
Im betting a well-done chop, would actually make some (respectable) heads turn, like "damn ..."

Last edited by SEIDO; 02-01-13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 07:05 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CityKnight
I post my ideas in order to get feedback "first"; before I go along with a build.
I don't build first, and then "hope" everyone likes it; that would be stupid (especially if nobody did).
I could ask: Should I get Vertex Body-Kit, or Keep it Stock and go Wingless; but things like that have been asked (and done) a million times already. So why would I bother?
On the other had, if something hasn't been done, and isn't in the Search results either; then it's necessary to put it out there and get opinions. That's why Extreme Dimensions is here; they don't just invent things, and hope we'll bite.

Personally, I think a chopped-SC would look sweet in the way that an SLR does.
You don't have to chop 6" off the roof; maybe just 2" only, so it's a very subtle, yet noticeable difference.
I don't think it would rob from the cars original looks that much. I really don't, 'cus it's not a new roof, it's the same roof, same curves, only lowered.
I'll admit when Im wrong though; the fenders weren't as much of a hit as I imagined they'd be; but this time, I even with a crappy cropped image vs photoshop, I don't think this is that bad; I think it could come out really nice.
Cost on the other hand is another issue; but like someone said in another thread, a person will pay for "whatever their happiness costs them".
E.g. people thought I crazy buying 1600 wheels; but thats what my happiness cost, and they turned-out great.
This isn't some ricer body kit, and s****y graphics, or one of those weird grafting jobs, with Benz parts on a Lexus.
Im willing to bet this would actually make some heads turn, like "damn ..."

If you liked the chops you did, than just go forth with the idea. Comparing this to what Rideskins is here for is completely out of context. They are here to sell their product. It's a simple add on that most people can do on their own.

Chopping off the roof of your car and a lip kit are two different things.

You seemed to be pleased with the fender idea, you seem to be pleased with the idea of a chopped roof. You talk about happiness; if these things make you happy, take the steps to make it a reality. You're not here to win a popularity contest or some majority vote that decides if/how you should mod your car. So you're not going to do the fenders because 9/10 people said the idea was horrible? I guarantee you 9/10 people are likely to say the same to this idea. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it.
Old 02-01-13, 07:21 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

It does though; Im somebody who cares about things in the eyes of others.
Thats why I drive a Lexus. I could have gotten a 2.5RS with an STi motor for the price I paid on my SC; but I wanted a Lexus, and a nice one at that, so I could both go fast, look cool, and appeal to chicks.
Thats reality, people think that way. It's not all about what I like, 'cus sometimes it doesn't turn out so nicely.
I don't even like my fenders that much anymore, though I still don't think they look awful either ...
I want a respectable car though; so Im gonna reach for opinions first.
If I can afford the chop, I might do it. I don't know yet, theres more research to be done.
$10G's for a nice chop, is the same as 10G's for a 2JZGTE swap, if you ask me.
As long as in the end the car gets props, and people say "That dude's got a nice-a** SC"; then Im happy.
Call me shallow, but I like to dress well for the same reason. My cars a part of my style/character.
Old 02-01-13, 07:36 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

In short, do what makes you happy. If that means chopping the roof, than that's what it will have to be man. It's all about your vision. And it doesn't matter if everyone likes it or nobody likes it. As long as you like it.
Old 02-01-13, 07:38 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

It matters to me!

LOL

Anyway, one more example, c'mon ...

Stock (Top)
Chopped (Bottom) - Subtle; same lines, but slightly more aggressive, don't ya think? Or still no?

Old 02-01-13, 08:16 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

i like it. chop maybe 3" i would do it if i had cash.

Last edited by k7q; 02-01-13 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 09:36 PM
Harbinger
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz
side pipe exhaust...
IMO this would be pretty sick if executed properly.

As far as choppimg the roof, same goes - it's all about execution. If you're going to do it, go all out. Reinforce from the a back to the c pillar essentially providing yourself the rollover protection that many were concerned about. THEN cut out the whole center section of the roof, leaving just enough material to connect the a and c pillars and to to their respective windscreens, and replace it with a piece of tintedmlexan or speedglass. You would obviously need to add a bit more bracing within and beneath the car, but having a chopped almost entirely glass roof (with side pipes??) would definitely turn heads... If executed properly.

Quick Reply: Chopped SC?