SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Under-valued & Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-15, 12:30 PM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my opinion modified

I take back what I said about the SC's going up in value. I'm trying to sell mine for what I thought was a decent price and I'm getting no action at all.

The key is, the crew that loves these cars loves these cars, period, and most other people just think it's an old car that's probably expensive to maintain.

I had forgotten that it took me about six months to sell an SC400 many years ago. But the dude who finally bought it thanked me for selling the car "so cheap."

Go figure.

Last edited by JoeSchmoe; 02-20-15 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-19-15, 10:11 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cars are going to be the quintessential "would'a could'a should'a" to the car world when their numbers truly go down. Personally though...at this point, I don't give a phuhk what people think of or value my car at...I have one and I'm lucky enough to know what I have. I really will keep this thing until the day it burns to the ground...and yes I have strayed from time to time but I love her.
Old 02-22-15, 02:20 PM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Default going to keep the car

I've changed my mind about selling my car because I have too much in it.
Old 02-23-15, 08:24 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

Lately I've been getting a lot of people telling me to sell my SC. A lot of my friends attempt to buy it from me too and now I can see why. Apparently they've been extremely hard to find in decent shape around here for the past year. The few that pop up for sale are so trashed out that they sit for months/years on Craigslist and Autotrader. These cars are so bad that it would take at least $5,000 or more to restore it to decent shape.

Very few nice ones pop up and when they do they're expensive, The expensive ones do sell in a month or two depending on the color of the car. I'll never sell mine. I'm not sure what I'll do if I ever wreck it and have to find another SC though.
Old 02-23-15, 07:28 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ I think you're right, Kira. Not all but some higher priced sorted SC's sell eventually but basket cases are numerous these days. And even seasoned folks know not to start right out with a total rat of a car that would need tremendous cosmetic and mechanical fixes before even getting into a plan to improve the car's performance with a suspension and turbocharging.

I'm not surprised you have had so many offers from friends more recently than in the past.

Then there are just a lot of these cars that have been owned by second and third non-enthusiasts over the years.

Personally the only way I'd do another one of these is if it were already a modified 5-speed like my current one in very similar condition. And that's a needle in a haystack. That or a Supra TT but the ballpark for those won't go down much even when 1993 JDM TT's are legal to import in a few years from now.

Very unique cars and they are indeed getting rarer.
Old 02-25-15, 05:12 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Minnesota dmv just qualified me for collector plates. and Hagerty accepted the car into collector insurance. So some people are paying attention. Yeeeahh! I wanted Street Rod plates but the annual inspection has turned me away from them.
Old 02-25-15, 11:21 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ems
Minnesota dmv just qualified me for collector plates. and Hagerty accepted the car into collector insurance. So some people are paying attention. Yeeeahh! I wanted Street Rod plates but the annual inspection has turned me away from them.
Im in the process of getting mine re-registered as a classic car.....biggest reason why I want to get is I cannot get my car to pass emissions.....with classic registration it will be emissions exempt
Old 02-27-15, 01:22 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by ems
Excellent, ems! May I ask what annual mileage they restrict you? And Being Hagerty, they require a lockable garage, correct?

CatManD3W, if only the classic registration worked the same for emissions exemption out here.

Congratulations to you both!
Old 02-27-15, 11:02 AM
ems
Lead Lap

I put down 3,000 miles a year, and thats a stretch for me. I ride a lot of bike in the summer and usually roll my high top van when towing the boat and such. You are required to have it as a second vehicle and list anyone who might drive it. They did ask how you STORE the vehicle and I said garage. So my annual quote was for 350 somthing a year on it and that was full coverage. Im sure it varies by area since we have snow for half of the year!! S@#$^)!!!!
Anyway MN collector has the same type of deal. must be a second car and be over 20 yrs or less than 500 made. and that is per option based. like MT. but 93 puts me in there so..
They dropped the emissions in our state like 10yrs ago because it costs waaay too much to operate and that is paid by the almighty tax dollar. I think they found it was either fix the roads annually or run emission testing. (we have two seasons here, Winter and construction.)
Old 02-27-15, 04:39 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Back to the topic of this thread, every time I look at something new and exciting to drive, I also realize much more expensive plates, insurance and the price of the car. If I had the money Td spend it, but I dont right now.
Old 03-02-15, 08:35 AM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Default Good point.

Even if you put some money into your old SC, it still won't be as much as a car payment every month.
Old 03-02-15, 03:32 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

I probably overpaid for my '94 I just picked up, but it was a one owner Florida car with all maintenance records and only 68K miles. It is MINT. I was lucky to find one in this condition.

Steve K.
Old 03-02-15, 07:32 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by 1A1
I probably overpaid for my '94 I just picked up, but it was a one owner Florida car with all maintenance records and only 68K miles. It is MINT. I was lucky to find one in this condition.

Steve K.
Not sure what you paid but if the interior is in good shape and has been well maintained with only 68K miles you are way ahead.

The costs start to mount up when you have to replace worn out parts (LCA bushings, power steering pumps, water pumps, steering rack, rear differential seals, etc. etc.) and THEN start to apply mods like suspension upgrades and wheels. Let alone any engine swapping or transmission changes which then takes these cars to a whole other level.

Enjoy your car; forget about resale value.
Old 03-02-15, 09:37 PM
3rdDrawer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Biddles

The truth is our car was ahead of it's time, but now 20 years later it's becoming outdated.

Now if Toyota decided to put the GE in the Supra and the GTE in the SC300....we'd be having a different conversation.
So its just a matter of horsepower? Thats simple enough to deal with. The 90s saw some great cars that imo still hold up and in lots of cases surpass modern cars. The rescission happened and we saw interiors and paint get cheap. Beltlines went skyhigh and rides have that sitting in a 18 wheeler feel in the name of safety regulations. No thanks. Im not so sure these cars are outdated at all.

I just recently got into these cars after not being able to find a decent civic or RSX with less that 200k for under 4 grand. Sure ill have a hell of a time selling it but at this point im not planning on it, i love the thing and so does everyone that rides in it. And at $3000 i can afford to have it sit.

In this time of overpriced used cars and cut throat CL lowballing flippers im so happy to have found a hidden treasure for such a good price. I feel i just sidestepped the whole thing and ended up the better. I want another one! My poor 95 Civic EX which is a very clean stock example that i love to death has been sitting for the past month Ill have to jump her to get her to start due to the recent cold. Maybe ill take her out tomorrow since its supposed to be warm.

Last edited by 3rdDrawer; 03-02-15 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-04-15, 06:53 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I like what this guy did ...
The two on the left are mine (black), and my friend Brent's; however the two on the right both belong to this guy we met that day. He bought two SC's having made a good point ... He said that not only did he love the car, and that they're truly great, etc. but also that right now they're affordable enough that for the price of a decent used car ($6000), you could have two reliable SC300's; so that if one needs a replacement part, then A: You could drive the other (if it's bad enough) or B. You could just swap the part to your daily-driver.
So although I'd like our cars to be worth more, knowing what I know about them; there is a nice plus-side to their costing so little.

Quick Reply: Under-valued & Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread