SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Under-valued & Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-14, 05:15 AM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KBB matters

I guess I am not in the majority here. KBB matters to me because I consider resale as a priority. Well, and I also heavily consider Edmunds.com, which tends to rate at a much lower value than KBB.
KBB tends to be very high in most cases.
As I've said before, I won't even go to look at a car that has mods. I figure that if a car has mods it's been raced, and I know I'm right. If it has a turbo I know for sure it's seen some high R's.
I'll pass.
I look for totally original old people cars with low miles.
Someone mentioned the IS300 as being cheaper and that is true, but I don't like them at all.
In fact, every one I see always seems to have the crap run out of it, because that car attracts young go fast types.
And I have seen some IS 250/350's on Craigslist for surprisingly low numbers, more than old SC's, but not much more than some of the "value added" SC's I'm seeing now. Autotrader has a whole gang of very high priced low miles SC's. I tend to think they aren't moving, and the ads stay and stay, but the owners seem very determined to get the inflated prices.
And I would NEVER even consider an old Supra for the crazy prices they bring. Whew. You might as well just get a classic American hotrod with a V8 that will really go fast and turn heads and make the most beautiful sounds you've ever heard. No, screw those old Supras. The SC's are much better looking than the Supras anyway.
Old 12-29-14, 12:41 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a little bored after the first 5 pages of this thread and I don't come here very often anymore, so forgive me if I'm repeating info. There is only one way to raise the value of the SC and that is to pay more when you buy one so KBB/NADA values increase. As people continue to camber, lower, drift, and otherwise modify the SC's in ways that do not increase resale, their value will keep dropping.

I think a HUGE part of holding value is styling. I think the SC is beautiful, but it is rather plain and understated. It's NA Supra cousin looks like it will be fast even though it has the same drivetrain as the SC3.

So as you may know, I just bought a 1996 Viper. KBB is 1/3 of original MSRP. Average NADA is only 1/2 of original MSRP. Is it a better car than the SC? Hell no - it's a cheaply made old Dodge with zero features and its completely impractical! However, most males agree that it is one of the best looking cars ever produced and while only rated at 415 HP, It looks like it will spank anything on the road. It did so for a short time, but it holds that bragging right and people cling to that stuff too.
Old 01-02-15, 02:51 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
As I've said before, I won't even go to look at a car that has mods. I figure that if a car has mods it's been raced, and I know I'm right. If it has a turbo I know for sure it's seen some high R's.
I'll pass.
I look for totally original old people cars with low miles. And I have seen some IS 250/350's on Craigslist for surprisingly low numbers, more than old SC's, but not much more than some of the "value added" SC's I'm seeing now. Autotrader has a whole gang of very high priced low miles SC's. I tend to think they aren't moving, and the ads stay and stay, but the owners seem very determined to get the inflated prices.
It's between a rock and a hard place. Unfortunately if you are looking for a truly impressive *stock* luxury performance car the SC is going to disappoint you tremendously. Lexus USA severely crippled and stripped down the Soarer design for us and car enthusiasts generally want to buy or recreate the best versions of car models they are interested in, be that "factory-like" or heavily customized. Sadly for the 92-00 SC chassis, making these cars memorable pretty much throws "factory stock" out the window and with it the notion of unabused originality.

One's mileage will always vary from example to example. Do these realities make the SC a bad car? Absolutely not. But normal resale valuation hardly applies to any 20+ year old enthusiast car.

The IS250 isn't considered the same kind of enthusiast vehicle, really. Not compared to the IS300 which, like the SC, shares the JZ drivetrain lineage. The IS350 is a bit different since it does have 300 horsepower from the factory but it's a fairer comparison to the 98-00 SC400 in that regard.

Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe
And I would NEVER even consider an old Supra for the crazy prices they bring. Whew. You might as well just get a classic American hotrod with a V8 that will really go fast and turn heads and make the most beautiful sounds you've ever heard. No, screw those old Supras. The SC's are much better looking than the Supras anyway.
Just curious but have you driven a Supra TT? Or heard one properly set up in person? Looks I won't argue with because that's completely subjective. Personally I think the MKIV looks beautiful and timeless and I also feel the SC is a beautiful and timeless design. The sound of a turbo JZ six is fantastic to my ears just as a pushrod V8 is but... again... these things are all subjective.

American V8 classic muscle is a unique experience too but the SC actually has a lot of that same feel in a more refined and overbuilt chassis.

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
There is only one way to raise the value of the SC and that is to pay more when you buy one so KBB/NADA values increase. As people continue to camber, lower, drift, and otherwise modify the SC's in ways that do not increase resale, their value will keep dropping.

I think a HUGE part of holding value is styling. I think the SC is beautiful, but it is rather plain and understated. It's NA Supra cousin looks like it will be fast even though it has the same drivetrain as the SC3.
^^ All of the above.

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
So as you may know, I just bought a 1996 Viper. KBB is 1/3 of original MSRP. Average NADA is only 1/2 of original MSRP. Is it a better car than the SC? Hell no - it's a cheaply made old Dodge with zero features and its completely impractical! However, most males agree that it is one of the best looking cars ever produced and while only rated at 415 HP, It looks like it will spank anything on the road. It did so for a short time, but it holds that bragging right and people cling to that stuff too.
ishootstuf, as someone who loved the original '92 Viper RT/10 as a favorite car in childhood I want to say congratulations on that purchase! And I do agree. The older Vipers aren't perfect cars by a long shot and they aren't practical (no power steering either as I recall) but that isn't the point, is it? They look dangerous, sound dangerous, go plenty fast in any version and have the numbers to back it all up. They're legendary.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-02-15 at 03:03 AM.
Old 01-02-15, 11:34 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm hoping that all the guys spray painting there interiors and making them in to drift cars will raise the value of my 74K mile car. Only be so many clean ones left.

Shane
Old 01-02-15, 12:07 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

KBB to me seems like a dealership-based pricing option. KBB isn't for the modded, or the rotted. If you have a vehicle with a salvage title, don't go to KBB for pricing.

Then there is sentimental value in these SC's. The SC is for enthusiasts only.

JMO...
Old 01-02-15, 03:17 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by SC400slide
KBB to me seems like a dealership-based pricing option. KBB isn't for the modded, or the rotted. If you have a vehicle with a salvage title, don't go to KBB for pricing.

JMO...
^^ Yep. Pretty much.

Also, KBB value doesn't apply to much of what makes it to Barrett Jackson auctions or even Hemmings Motor News, although you can list anything for whatever you want to, really.

Regardless of where these cars are valued later on I think the important thing now is to enjoy owning, restoring, modifying and driving them.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-02-15 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-02-15, 04:34 PM
Equalizir
Driver

I think the biggest problem with the Sc's is when you go on Craigslist theirs always a bunch for like $1000 or $1200. You don't see that with Supras. Also even though the production numbers are low it seems like they are everywhere. Just go on instagram and if you look up the hashtag #sc300 theirs tons of them.
Old 01-02-15, 08:09 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Equalizir
I think the biggest problem with the Sc's is when you go on Craigslist theirs always a bunch for like $1000 or $1200. You don't see that with Supras.
And all those $1k SCs have ratty a** leather interiors that scream high maintenance clunker. An inefficient, impractical luxury car with terrible seats and steering wheel (and illegible HVAC display and gauge needles) is going to sell for less than a boring econobox with indestructible cloth seats and rubber steering wheel. Perception fuels pricing, and most of the SCs for sale are tough to give away in their condition.

Also even though the production numbers are low it seems like they are everywhere. Just go on instagram and if you look up the hashtag #sc300 theirs tons of them.
That speaks well for their longevity, at least.
Old 01-03-15, 09:20 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

This thread is interesting to say the least. A lot of good points about our beloved SC why it will be tough to ever see these cars go higher in value. One thing sure as somebody said "Anything is only worth what somebody is willing to pay for it.".

* Nobody wants to pay high for our SC due to the fact that you still see them a dime for a dozen . You advertise them high , your ad stays there for years. You don't have to go far. Check all those ads in our very own lexus car classified. Cars stay there for years. Supposedly your market here are knowledgeable Lexus enthusiasts that should appreciate them better than common folks .

* Nobody wants to pay for cars that are perceived to have high maintenance cost. Only a few of the population do work on their own cars.

* Their MKIV siblings overshadows them. How many fully built SCs we have seen that had been sold and the owner got what he wanted ? I haven't seen one. Either it was sold a lot lower or it was parted out to get near their asking price though am sure not even close.

* Whatever car you modify or restore, there is a point in which you will never get back your investments if you over do it. It is just the reality of performance cara or restoring a car. Though there are some exceptions to this, I just don't see it happening with our SCs. Even with MKIVs, you spend too much, you will loose money. That is just a fact I have seen after owning 7 MKIVs in the past couple of years. You build or restore for personal satisfaction. If you do it, thinking you will make money after ? ... it is a wrong motivation..

I always loved the SC, reason why even if I had owned 7 MKIVs and still have 2 high HP MKIVs to date, I am not satisfied till I get the kind of SC that I can say it is the ultimate street setup... still working on them. Though I know, if one day, I get tired of them. I should be ready to accept the fact that I will never get back what I invested on them. It is a sad reality of performance or restoring an old SC to its glory form..... not unless you do it wisely
Old 01-04-15, 05:07 PM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Default I do think they're inching up.

I've been watching carefully because I'd like to score a pristine low miles SC, and the ones I've been tracking have sold quite a bit over KBB, and it really shocked me.
I have a hard time justifying a buy that's over KBB, but it looks like I might have to relent.
The nice low miles cars seem to bring added value.

Oh, someone mentioned that you can't refer to KBB for a salvage car, and I just wanted to point out that salvage is worth roughly half of KBB.
I avoid salvage cars like the plague, but I do know of people who've had good luck with salvage cars. I just wouldn't wanna take the chance.
Old 01-04-15, 07:44 PM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Anybody wants to write me a check for $25,000 they can take my car home today.

Shane
Old 01-04-15, 07:56 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ill tape it to a brick so it wont bounce.
Old 02-18-15, 10:31 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JMO...
KBB pricing is just that, the average cost of the said car sold at a car dealership.

The truth is Edmunds values are based on reported purchased prices reported at the DMV.

So...

The true value is between Edmunds and KBB as dealers inflate prices and tell you "You're getting a great deal", and people report lower then purchase prices to DMV to save on taxes.

The truth is our car was ahead of it's time, but now 20 years later it's becoming outdated. Of course to us it's a masterpiece, but to the average person it's just as the junkyard once told me "an old ****box Lexus"....

Now if Toyota decided to put the GE in the Supra and the GTE in the SC300....we'd be having a different conversation.
Old 02-18-15, 02:02 PM
longo32
Driver School Candidate

JMO...
I read somewhere that KBB is OWNED by Auto Trader! That source for actual used car values is a POS publication only used by car sale$men to make their $cammy deals.
Old 02-18-15, 05:53 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Biddles
Now if Toyota decided to put the GE in the Supra and the GTE in the SC300....we'd be having a different conversation.
...or if they sold the SC with a ubiquitous 1JZ-GTE option just like the Soarer.

Quick Reply: Under-valued & Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread