SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Under-valued & Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-13, 10:03 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

I've followed the prices of 1SC's for the past few years and I can say is that SC prices have have stayed relatively the same here in socal. I hardly see any more SC's that have been beat to death and not running for sale (that sell < $1000), but they do pop sporatically every now and again. All those have either been snatched up, turned into missiles, in the junk yard or traded in for the cash for clunkers program. I don't know and can't foresee anytime in the near future of the prices of SC's goin up in the near future tho...just my 2cents
Old 01-23-13, 11:12 AM
JSC4
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
not sure why im back , but I have to ask why we as a community would want the price of our cars to go up?? I really cant think of one positive that would come out of that.

So lets say somehow, we raise the value of our cars , then what? We sell the ones we have now at a profit, then when we want to buy another one we are subject to the same inflation we caused ourself?

Used parts will then go up in price, aftermarket support and parts will skyrocket, more competition when trying to buy one on the used market, I mean its all around a horrible idea for us as SC owners and enthusiasts.

As far as im concerned the less people that know about these cars, the less demand, the lower the price, the cheaper the parts, the happier I am.
^ This
Old 10-24-14, 08:07 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing this back, because it came up as a topic on Facebook ...
I still think they should be at least $2000 more than what they're selling at these days.
The best thing we can do to improve the market value of our cars, is DON'T settle.
If they haggle you, understand that the Kelly Blue Book is just a "guide"; it doesn't take upgrades into consideration, nor does it include the markets demand. In fact, according to KBB, a Twin-Turbo Toyota Supra is only worth about $23,000 ... We ALL know that's BS however.
So who cares; explain to the buyer, that the KBB is irrelevant in the Tuner Market. It's only applicable to the standard commercial vehicle, being purchased by a soccer mom, or someone's granny. We're talkin' a Saturn, versus a '98 240SX, or a Dodge Neon versus an SC300 ...
So don't take any less than what you want for it, and in my opinion everyone with a (clean) +97 SC, should start the bidding at $8000, 'cus $4000 for these cars is a friggin' joke; just don't do it.
Everyone with a -96 SC, start at $6000, 'cus $2800's stupid too. If you need the money that badly - Fine. If not however, don't settle. I think the buyers lack appreciation 'cus they don't know what they're buying. It's not 'til you've owned an SC300, that you realize it's actual value.

Old 10-24-14, 09:31 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uggghh...this thread...again??? This is beyond beating a dead horse.

Yes the SC and Supra are similar, however only one earned the label of a Japanese Super car in its era, and guess what...it wasn't the SC unfortunately hence it didn't hold it's value the same.

/thread..move on.
Old 10-25-14, 11:21 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

^^ Yep, the SC series never gained any sports/muscle car credibility in its own era and thus the larger market perception/(de)valuation.

Yeah, this is an old and much discussed thread but I still feel this is a valid point:

There is a big difference between a basket case car and one that is modified the right way into the functional equivalent to just about any other bulletproof IRS-RWD 300+hp manual transmission coupe on the used market, most of which sell for a minimum of far more than $2800-$4k.

The lesson of the thread is not to undersell what you actually have (OR to oversell it) but the values are low. However, assuming your SC has similar hardware nearly equal to something else I think 300+ horsepower from a bulletproof tuner engine in the SC chassis should remain what it costs me to buy 300+ horsepower from a bulletproof tuner engine in a good chassis elsewhere. I am not talking about comparing to the popularity and rarity of an iconic chassis (i.e.: MKIV) but to the street value of the same driveline specs from any used powerful vehicle be it an LS1/LS2 car, 4.6L DOHC 320hp engine, 2JZGTE, 1JZGTE, etc. in a chassis with similar capability and durability. Plenty of cars were popular in their time and have the same capabilities but retain tremendous value because of their popularity alone. I'm just talking about the street value of all that hardware in one package regardless of how popular or rare a nameplate is.

In my experience, buying a fairly rigid RWD coupe that can handle, has a 300+ horsepower engine that won't blow up, has a stout manual transmission and happens to be in good cosmetic shape to boot costs some money these days. Not a lot but some.

Beyond that I don't expect appreciation in SC values. Most people will not do the above to their cars. That's really the only argument that can be made beyond the reality of where the SC valuation/market actually is.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-25-14 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Grammatical correction
Old 10-26-14, 11:37 AM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great thread!

I'm an old hand returning to the forum, and coincidentally this topic was exactly what I've been pondering.
I've had five SC's and I loved them all. I used to be able to find nice low mileage cars at good prices, but not anymore. Nope. The trend is going up for sure. Let me tell you what just happened to me. There was a fairly clean 98 SC300 on CL Friday. It had 72K, nice interior, pics were great, for $6900. That seemed a tad high to me, because the timing belt had not been changed. So I passed on it. Guess what? They sold it on Saturday for full price. KBB on the car was 6100, yet the buyer didn't blink.

Nice low mileage SC's are getting very rare.

Of course the buyer probably didn't know that the 98 SC has an interference engine! So driving that car is a big gamble with a 16 year old timing belt. I would have changed the belt right away.

There were two red ones on Autotrader, both low mileage cars and both priced VERY high. One of them is still up, I think he's asking $18,000. The car has around 19,000 original miles. This ad has been up for a very long time, months and months. I don't think it's gonna happen, but the guy seems to be very determined.

The low prices for SC's should not be an embarrassment. It's a blessing that we could get such an amazing car for such a great price. The SC is far more attractive than the Supra. I get compliments on my car all the time.

The other thing I see all the time on CL is the totally tricked out SC for big bucks, when you know for sure that the car has been raced and the motor is ready to blow. The guys will list an entire page of mods costing thousands of dollars....but they might as well say, "Yeah, I've run the hell out of this car and now I'm cutting it loose because i think I hear a rod knockin.'"

If you make a race car or a drift car, you can't expect to get the money back. Not gonna happen.
In fact, I won't even go to look at a car that has mods. I don't even like wheels. I want the original Lexus wheels. But I'm an older guy, I don't wanna mess around with the car all the time. I want a nice looking reliable car and that's it. The old SC's suit me perfectly.

Oh, I will share a fantasy. If I had LOTS of money, I'd go to Nelson Racing Engines in Malibu and have him build a 2000 HP motor for the car and do the whole thing. You should check out his YT clips. The guy is a genius. He builds mostly Chevy motors with twin turbos and he gets CRAZY HP. His test drives are a hoot and make for great entertainment.

Back in the day, I built Corvettes and Camaros and Novas for the street. it's funny, I don't think I ever owned a car that had more than 400 HP. Now they have factory cars with 700 HP.

No...I'll stick with my stock car with 225 HP because it NEVER let's me down.

Last edited by JoeSchmoe; 02-20-15 at 04:34 PM.
Old 10-26-14, 03:14 PM
KahnBB6

Welcome back to CL!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-26-14 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-28-14, 10:09 AM
danegerous
Rookie

Interesting read for sure. One thing we can hold dear is our cars costed a lot of money when they were new...and take into account inflation...your 1995 SC3/4 would probably cost $75k+.

That in its own way is kinda cool to me. Clean, well maintained SC's will always stand out to someone who knows anything about the chassis. My 95 SC4 had 97 bumpers and skirts, coilovers and wheels and it got more compliments (from girls even) than any of my FC's which have been track prepped or hell, even my 1jz powered FC. SC is a timeless chassis in my opinion and the value of the car is what we as the enthusiast put into it.
Old 10-28-14, 05:18 PM
JoeSchmoe
Driver School Candidate

Default Love the SC's

I agree that the SC's are simply gorgeous. I mean, up to 2000.
(No offense to post 2000 SC owners. Just not my taste.)

However....much as I love the SC's I keep admiring the IS350's.

If I ever spot a burgundy IS350 in my price range....
Old 10-28-14, 08:35 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

One thing that I dont get is when people especially SC owners get a good deal on a SC and there is no complaining about the value, but when it's time for them to sell and move on, cry and moan about how they cant resell for double or triple of what they paid just because they added some bolt ons and wheels.
Old 10-29-14, 12:29 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Joey-E
One thing that I dont get is when people especially SC owners get a good deal on a SC and there is no complaining about the value, but when it's time for them to sell and move on, cry and moan about how they cant resell for double or triple of what they paid just because they added some bolt ons and wheels.
^^ Very good point.
Old 10-29-14, 08:05 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well Lexus still thinks they're worth 54k, just buy some genuine parts! LOL. All cars fall in value till they get to a certain point , then they begin to increase in value, but it might take 30 yrs. Drive a new car off the lot , then turn right around & go back in & trade it,& see how much value you've lost. It'll be quite the shock.
Old 10-30-14, 07:41 AM
SSmith
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I spent $17,000 on my car three years ago with $40K in mods. I thought it was a great deal. Three years later and almost another 15K in mods and it isn't worth half of what I've got in it and it's only got 75,000 miles on it. I would also say it is probably one of the cleanest you'll ever see.

A week ago a guy asked me if I'd sell it and I told him 26K minimum. He laughed and said I was crazy. Am I ???

Shane
Attached Thumbnails Under-valued &amp; Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread-contest.jpg   Under-valued &amp; Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread-contest1.jpg   Under-valued &amp; Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread-contest5.jpg   Under-valued &amp; Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread-engine1.jpg  
Old 10-30-14, 07:49 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine who buys sells and collects vintage porsches told me "You should love the machine for what it is, not what its worth, and in doing so it will be truly valuable".

In my half primer'd fluids leaking car, with green tape still on the window i received a thubs up from a 240z the other day, that alone states to me, "I see you, and i respect the machine" thats the only price tag I needed
Old 10-30-14, 09:34 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey-E
^^^This right here is the point. Very good point

Originally Posted by SSmith
I spent $17,000 on my car three years ago with $40K in mods. I thought it was a great deal. Three years later and almost another 15K in mods and it isn't worth half of what I've got in it and it's only got 75,000 miles on it. I would also say it is probably one of the cleanest you'll ever see.

A week ago a guy asked me if I'd sell it and I told him 26K minimum. He laughed and said I was crazy. Am I ???

Shane
However, then there are SC's like Shane's that are beyond pristine, and have alot of work done to them the RIGHT way. Shane, I would gladly pay $26k for your SC cause it has earned it.

I hope no one took my post the wrong way, I love the SC body style. But the whine when it comes to "Why is the Supra holding its value better than my car that is the reason for the Supra..?" is just out of line. Every car depreciates differently, and those that get a heavy recognition for something grand, such as being labeled a Japanese Super car is not something that will depreciate cause its all in the name such as Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, etc... Before I could drive I knew what a Supra was, but I had no clue what an SC300 or 400 was till the day I bought mine and even then still didnt know anything about it.

Now for those setting prime examples of NEEDING the car to hold a higher value like Shane, I ignore what everyone thinks its worth or what KBB wants to value it at. I look at the detail, the amount of labor/time/money put into it and its that level of care and attention that sets the price scale to me. So if someone says I have an SC300, stock GTE swap with auto trans, wheels and coilovers and they want $15K with a dirty engine bay, shot bushings, bad paint, dirty interior then no, its not worth it. (Shane hope you dont mind me referring to your car so much) But when I look at Shanes car even being NA-T, you can tell that time was put into the car and that it was done properly. Engine bay and interior are spotless, wheels and fitment was done properly, exterior is mint, suspension went the extra mile and dollar with the EDFC, and the trunk is spectacular. All definite proof that the car is worth the minimum $26k he would ask.

So bottom line is simple. The value of the car according to KBB and one or two individuals is irrelevant, cause there are a few out there that look at cars the way I do. These cars are by no means under appreciated and are still highly respected. The nickname "Poormans Supra" is also slightly derogative, but it is correct. The SC is the forgotten bastard-child of the Supra, therefore it never gained the fame or fortune of the Supra and never will cause I still have alot of people asking me when Lexus made and what kind of Lexus coupe it is..even at the Lexus dealership ..a 22 year old style that no one recognizes cause it was buried by the Twin Turbo 3.0 I-6 Toyota Supra that was twice as fast.

Last edited by turbodremz; 10-30-14 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Under-valued & Under-appreciated: The Official Mark-Up Thread