SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Testing a simple design ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-14, 02:40 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

^ That would require a looooottttttttt of modification! Wouldn't the 2-3" hole on either side of the engine bay, directly behind the strut towers, pull a fair bit of air through as long as it has somewhere to escape on the other side? It would be high pressure in the engine bay from the fan, and low pressure behind the wheel well, right? So, air would naturally move in the direction of least pressure. Even if it's a bit turbulent because of the indirect path, it surely would be taking some heat with it. Whether that's more heat than can escape through normal routes such as under the car is probably the biggest question.
Old 11-25-14, 03:06 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Curious what you (and others) think about something like this?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164199

That might be a bit tougher to mock-up on the SC to see if it would even look half decent. It would need some fender liner work to allow air flow from the brakes. But if it could be done, the vents could be made dual purpose to pull as much heat out of engine bay as the stock openings allow.
Old 11-25-14, 10:34 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not just use a NACA duct?......If you are going to do it might as well make it functional...they come in clear, black, and carbon fiber....I really like the look of them

I have seriously been considering putting these on my SC for additional air flow to brakes, air intake for turbo....etc

They decided to mount this one on the outside........theoretically for optimum airflow it should be placed on the underside of hood....but either way it is still providing the same function

Ferrari F40 comes to mind....

Last edited by CatManD3W; 11-25-14 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-25-14, 10:55 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Old 11-26-14, 12:42 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

here's the Aston Vent on the SC
Old 11-26-14, 12:44 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

with the chrome piece blacked out

Old 11-26-14, 12:53 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

and the camaro vent

Old 11-26-14, 01:24 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Why not just use a NACA duct?......If you are going to do it might as well make it functional...
I'm still confused/concerned about water management with any ducted/vented approach to the hood. That seems to be an afterthought to just about every such design I've read up on. Is there a reliable way to direct water away from all electronics, whether or not the car is moving, parked on a slope, etc.? That's what led me to fender venting (and subsequently to this thread) as a better alternative.

oldManTan, thanks for the Camaro vent mock-up. That's actually not half-bad! (The Aston vent looks like a big chunk is missing out of the fender, for some reason.) The 3D Carbon kits are a reasonable price ($180-210) and would be a lot easier to make the cuts than some of the odd shaped porthole type vents. I guess if I did that, we could get another photo up of what it looks like without the side skirts and see how essential those are to the look working.

Edit: 3D Carbon also makes an identical looking Mustang vent that can be had for $160 shipped (for the pair). They seem to have a good reputation for quality in the Mustang community. I was looking at $60-100 for individual cutouts up higher. This is looking like a better and better option.

Last edited by t2d2; 11-26-14 at 02:11 AM.
Old 11-26-14, 09:51 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

I dont believe getting water is the engine bay is a big concern....the key electronic componenets are covered...i.e spark plug cover

Look at Evo 8's.......they come factory with a huge hole in the hood and never heard of people experiencing any problems with them

The fender vent design is purely for looks and will perform no function on the SC
Old 11-26-14, 10:03 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
I dont believe getting water is the engine bay is a big concern....the key electronic componenets are covered...i.e spark plug cover
What about coils and all the exposed connectors? They don't seem particularly water tight.

Look at Evo 8's.......they come factory with a huge hole in the hood and never heard of people experiencing any problems with them
Funny you mention the Evo, because that's one of the cars I read a lot about in basing my previous comments. Many Evo owners tape off the vents when washing their car for that reason. (A car wash is basically daily weather conditions around here...) And they generally say it'll dry out quick if it does get wet, because it only affects the intake and turbo. Basically, their cars are a different condition altogether because the engine bay was designed around that vent setup.

The fender vent design is purely for looks and will perform no function on the SC
All you would have to do is open things up for air flow in the back of the wheel well fender liner, I assume. How hard can that be? It already allows air to pass through in the front of the liner.
Old 11-26-14, 11:09 AM
GloriousSC
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by oldManTan
here's the Aston Vent on the SC
Thanks OldManTan! That looks great! probably the best vent I have seen so far.

Side note isn't the vertex widebody fenders look like the camaro vent? http://s20.photobucket.com/user/onej...00645.jpg.html
Old 11-26-14, 11:23 AM
GloriousSC
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

OldManTan can you try one more?

Last edited by GloriousSC; 11-26-14 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-26-14, 11:32 AM
Boriken
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Edit: as for vets i personaly think they need to flow with the body, like that Aston vent or down in the fender like the Vertex fenders.

Not trying to highjack.
But seen ppl post some fender ideas got me thinking.
What do you guys think of RB kit on sc300. RB as in Rocket Bunny. Not the actual front bumper but the rest is from s15 silvia.

Testing a simple design ...-qub8ggf.jpg

Testing a simple design ...-izjfg6p.jpg

Last edited by Boriken; 11-26-14 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-26-14, 11:33 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by t2d2
What about coils and all the exposed connectors? They don't seem particularly water tight.
Also, the big issues I forgot to mention in that post are the alternator and battery. That's if doing hood vents up front, which is the most effective place according to many. Right behind the radiator. (Further back gets you into potentially negative benefits from the high pressure of the windshield cowl wanting to push back into vents.) I can't imagine getting the alternator wet is a good thing... The battery I'll probably relocate to the trunk at some point, so that's a non-issue. But aside from electronics is the rust factor of having a lot of water pooling in the engine bay, day after day, year after year.

All you would have to do is open things up for air flow in the back of the wheel well fender liner, I assume. How hard can that be? It already allows air to pass through in the front of the liner.
The part I haven't quite figured out yet is how to vent into the fender without filling it with debris that's difficult to get out. Wire mesh over cutouts in the rear portion of the fender liner would keep most stuff out, but a lot of dirt and debris would still find its way in there. It would suck to have to remove the headlights and fenders to clean it out without any direct access point. How do cars with factory fender vents approach that? Do they duct perpendicularly in from the wheel and wrap back around to the outlet vent?
Old 11-27-14, 12:09 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

See?!
Neither of those ideas look bad ...
I knew I was onto sumtin'.
That Aston vent could totally work.
The Camaro one's a bit more involved, but still; not bad at all.
I played with the ideas also, such as removing the OEM reflector, so it's not "too much goin' on", as well as removed the center bar on the Camaro, just to see how it looks. I think I like it better with it on actually. I just needed a visual though.

Dude, you're the man; good photoshops

What about the Aston hood vents (or some variation), OR the Mustang hood vent; could you do those?

Last edited by SEIDO; 11-27-14 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Testing a simple design ...