SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Will a stock 95' SC400 bumper safely fit in the trunk of an SC400?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-13, 11:57 AM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you decide to take out the passenger seat, it is easy, 5 - 14mm bolts and disconnect of the harness, comes right out (very heavy!), also the rear seat cushion and backrest can be removed in about 2 minutes. Bottom cushion lifts up then towards the front of the car to remove, back cushion then has three bolts at the bottom then lft it up off the three clips along the top, wrestle from beneath the seatbelts and you're good. Dont think an 18 will fit entirely in the spare well, but removing the existing spare and cargo mat may free up a little space in the trunk. Good Luck!!, let us know how it turns out (take some pics of your packing job...)
Old 01-08-13, 01:19 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 10thMtnLex
If you decide to take out the passenger seat, it is easy, 5 - 14mm bolts and disconnect of the harness, comes right out (very heavy!), also the rear seat cushion and backrest can be removed in about 2 minutes. Bottom cushion lifts up then towards the front of the car to remove, back cushion then has three bolts at the bottom then lft it up off the three clips along the top, wrestle from beneath the seatbelts and you're good. Dont think an 18 will fit entirely in the spare well, but removing the existing spare and cargo mat may free up a little space in the trunk. Good Luck!!, let us know how it turns out (take some pics of your packing job...)
THANK YOU!
That was quite helpful!
I will let everyone know, as long as I don't punk out and pay the guy from Rhode Island to pick up and deliver it. Otherwise, i promise pictures!
And to all the purists that hated my body kit (and aftermarket lights) the car came with, I also promise pictures of my SC closer to stock!

SG
Old 01-08-13, 02:20 PM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you remove the pasenger seat, the 14mm bolts are under the seat 'foot' covers (little plastic covers at each corner of the seat), they just pop off w/ screwdriver (snap-tite!) Looking forward to the rest of the story...
Old 01-08-13, 04:37 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can't fit 2 wheels in the trunk. Just the one in the spare tire well. The SC430 wheel/tire combo should fit. I had a 255/40/18 in mine acting as the spare for a while.

If I were you, I would take out the passenger seat, and the rear seats. You'll probably have enough room for everything then.
Old 01-08-13, 08:05 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by OneJay
You can't fit 2 wheels in the trunk. Just the one in the spare tire well. The SC430 wheel/tire combo should fit. I had a 255/40/18 in mine acting as the spare for a while.

If I were you, I would take out the passenger seat, and the rear seats. You'll probably have enough room for everything then.
Great to know the wheel will fit!

Thanks!
Old 01-08-13, 08:21 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lilSCsteve
Interesting thread? lol. First off check the weather for the day you planning on making the drive. Next get you a large box, some painter's tape, a box cutter-seriously, and 3 rubber bungee cords...follow me on this one? This is what I came up with, if you have a sunroof? Some may laugh, but trust me...it'll work?

1. put 2 wheels in the trunk. 2. put the other 2 wheels behind the two seats at a angle. 3. Slide your sunroof all the way in the open position. 4. stick ur bumper thru the sunroof, carefully tilting the bumper up towards the roof of the back window. Part of the bumper will poke thru the sunroof...it's alright. Funny, but alright. 5. take the bungee cords and run them from both sides of the car to support the bumper. 6. take the box, and cut around the bumper, and tape the box around the bumper and onto the roof just in case it rains during your drive back home? 7. tape the other part of the bumper (the section that's sticking out of the roof with painters tape). it will help protect it during the drive-plus it's easy to remove, and won't damage the paint. One alibi, you'll get some strange looks, and a few laughs...but think of it like this, what a interesting story to some day tell your grand kids? LMAO GL and keep us posted?

steve
I had a convertible mustag I used to transport the hood I was having painted for it. It worked so well I actually used the sunroof idea when I picked up the bumper for the sc. It did work