Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-13, 01:08 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please

Hey guys,

first off anyone that has done this swap I really need your help here.

im ordering a 2001 Rx 300 woodgrain wheel with the chrome emblem, from my research ive heard that this is the ONLY stage 1 airbag that came with the rx model, ive also seen a few threads on replacing them but im still left with a few questions.

First, is this really a plug and play swap? I realize there night need to be a little soldering and cutting of a wire or two, but ive also heard that I need to get a newer 'clock spring' which of course I know nothing about, any info would be a real help please.

Second, is this really a stage one airbag? How can I tell? Is it labeled on the bag itself?

What I dont want to happen is I buy this wheel , give it to my mechanic,,and then find out that the swap is not possible , or the airbag is not compatible, or I need to order new parts to complete the swap.

Anyone that has done this please chime in, from what I can tell there really isnt a proper thread on how to do this swap and what is needed,,,maybe we can fix that , especially since this is one of the best wheels to swap in , in my opinion

Thanks
Old 01-02-13, 02:19 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

ive just ordered the wheel I could really use some help with this swap.
Old 01-02-13, 03:09 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

nice try but there are a few very informative threads on this topic, including part numbers for the adapter.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-complete.html

one stage has one plug on the back of the airbag
two stage has 2 plugs.

yes the single stage RX300 is the only plug and play with the toyota yellow adapter (the connectors are different).
If you don't have the adapter you can make your own by making the 2 different harnesses into one, do not attempt to do that while connected to the bag obviously.
Old 01-02-13, 05:15 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

thanks man^^^

I found a few threads but this one seems to be very straightforward and simplified.

and yea i dont have the adapter so that is one of the things i was confused about, so basically i will snip off the connector from the sc4 wheel and solder it onto the rx wheel, then it should be plug and play and fully functional?

Then just swap the old cruise control module into the new wheel and that should be good to go as well i think.

Is there anything else im missing aside from getting a steering wheel remover?

This thread didnt mention anything about the clock spring upgrade so im going to ignore it was well.

Thanks alot
Old 01-02-13, 07:01 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

ok i think i got it now , seems pretty straight forward, if anyone has any helpful info to add im all ears.

Thanks for the info alisc
Old 01-02-13, 07:12 PM
RyanR317
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like you've already made the purchase but the actual steering wheel itself could have come from an second gen GS, first gen RX, fourth gen ES, or SC430. What matters the most is that you get the first gen RX airbag with the chrome emblem.

You don't need any adapters. You can swap the actual connector on the back of the RX airbag with the one from your old airbag.
Old 01-02-13, 07:16 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RyanR317
Looks like you've already made the purchase but the actual steering wheel itself could have come from an second gen GS, first gen RX, fourth gen ES, or SC430. What matters the most is that you get the first gen RX airbag with the chrome emblem.

You don't need any adapters. You can swap the actual connector on the back of the RX airbag with the one from your old airbag.
Nope, it was pulled off a 2001 RX 300...that was my old steering wheel.

steve
Old 01-03-13, 09:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
thanks man^^^

I found a few threads but this one seems to be very straightforward and simplified.

and yea i dont have the adapter so that is one of the things i was confused about, so basically i will snip off the connector from the sc4 wheel and solder it onto the rx wheel, then it should be plug and play and fully functional?

Then just swap the old cruise control module into the new wheel and that should be good to go as well i think.

Is there anything else im missing aside from getting a steering wheel remover?

This thread didnt mention anything about the clock spring upgrade so im going to ignore it was well.

Thanks alot
I would look into what Ryan said below about just swapping the connector. sounds better than cutting and soldering but I have done it that way on my 2 stage airbag and it seems to work just fine. plug and play is better though so try and just swap the conenctors, it was even mentioned in the other thread.

yes you have to swap the cruise control lever, and I think there is also a ground wire on it but the swap from one wheel to the other is really straight forward just get in there and you will see it.

Clockspring have no idea what you mean with that you shouldn't have to mess with it if you have a single stage bag. everything else but the cruise lever and the swapped connector stays in place.

I didn't buy a puller, I don't know anyone that has. I just loosen the big ol' nut that holds it on without removing it completely, and I just pull/yank on the wheel several times until It comes off.
It takes a surprising amount of force to get it off, and if you remove that nut completely it will smack you in the face once it breaks loose, so don't do that.

good info, i read something about this before but didn't know the details never done the single stage bag route. swapping is much easier than cutting/soldering.
Old 01-03-13, 02:22 PM
SICK350
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some pics on how to remove the old steering wheel would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-03-13, 05:30 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks man i read something about that too but the person didnt get into much details about it.

And yes sir it is the airbag with the chrome emblem

And yes i would really like to make a very straight forward , simplified "How to" on this swap, there are a few threads I seen but for some reason some of them to leave me with too many unanswered questions, most of the time I drop my car off to my mechanic and he does his thing but ill see if I can stick around and take pics during the swap.

Or I might even try to tackle this myself , not sure yet
Old 01-03-13, 05:34 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
I would look into what Ryan said below about just swapping the connector. sounds better than cutting and soldering but I have done it that way on my 2 stage airbag and it seems to work just fine. plug and play is better though so try and just swap the conenctors, it was even mentioned in the other thread.

yes you have to swap the cruise control lever, and I think there is also a ground wire on it but the swap from one wheel to the other is really straight forward just get in there and you will see it.

Clockspring have no idea what you mean with that you shouldn't have to mess with it if you have a single stage bag. everything else but the cruise lever and the swapped connector stays in place.

I didn't buy a puller, I don't know anyone that has. I just loosen the big ol' nut that holds it on without removing it completely, and I just pull/yank on the wheel several times until It comes off.
It takes a surprising amount of force to get it off, and if you remove that nut completely it will smack you in the face once it breaks loose, so don't do that.

good info, i read something about this before but didn't know the details never done the single stage bag route. swapping is much easier than cutting/soldering.
yea man thats the route im going to try ,,,it keeps it clean and not a butcher job with snipped wires and electrical tape etc...

and yea that clock spring was mentioned in only one of the threads ,,,since most people dont mess with it im not going to either.

thanks again man
Old 01-18-13, 11:29 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Got my wheel in the mail two days ago, its being installed on Monday, cant wait

It is a huge bonus cause in the pictures it looked like the leather was grey, and i bought it thinking ill have to re dye the leather, but upon arrival i realized it is the perfect match, Tan
Attached Thumbnails Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please-wheel-002.jpg   Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please-wheel-003.jpg   Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please-wheel-001.jpg  
Old 01-18-13, 01:44 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't you use an IS steering wheel too?

Jonny
Old 01-21-13, 09:05 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

ok I got it swapped in and just so you guys know, you dont have to swap out your cruise control lever, there is just part of the wiring that needs to be adjusted or changed, my mechanic did this swap in like 15 minutes .

thanks for all the help and advice
Old 01-21-13, 09:13 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey question, what year is that airbag from? from a rx300? thx

Quick Reply: Rx 300 Steering wheel swap, need help please