SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Opinions on the SC400 as a sports car

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-12, 12:16 AM
PseudoK
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on the SC400 as a sports car

I have been researching, and trying to learn as much as I can about the SC400, and people seem to have a BAD opinion on the SC400, but I am thinking, cant you use many suspension parts from a MK4 supra on a Soarer body? I have been looking for a list of parts that are interchangeable between the Supra and Soarer.

You could say just buy a Supra, but they are overpriced, I hate the interior, and I much prefer the 1UZ over the 2JZ-GTE

I have an 92 Toyota MR2 Turbo right now and I LOVE the car, but I want a bit more displacement and back seats, with some more luxury features.

I have even heard of people putting down the steering capabilities of the Soarer, so I am just confused about it, any way to get a Soarer to be even remotely like an MR2 in drivabilitiy?

My MR2 is so keen edge on handling, its like a go-cart, I adore this car, but the time calls that having two back seats, REGARDLESS OF SPACE, would be so helpful.

I am just hoping that the SC400 could be like my Impreza, where I can swap in STi and WRX parts and make it custom, something you dont see everyday.
Old 12-27-12, 01:11 AM
levie
Lexus Test Driver

i love the sc as a sports car. its so much more classy than other soprt cars out there but can still put down power. with the right mods. why dont you like the 2JZ-GTE? alot of people swap those, or the 1JZ into these cars to make the power they want becuase the 1UZ is really expensive to mod and there are not a ton of parts for them.

anyone correct me if they feel im wrong with anything

welcome to CL OP.
Old 12-27-12, 05:34 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

You're not going to get the mr2 go kart handling in an sc.. mr2 is much lighter and mid-engine.
Old 12-27-12, 05:35 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Although you will find "more displacement and back seats, with some more luxury features."
Old 12-27-12, 07:13 AM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see an SC400 dancing around a race-course like a mid-engine car that weighs 1000 pounds less would. I tend to think of the SC as a "sporty" car, not a sports car.
I used to race autocross with my Camaro and it was ranked nationally for a couple of years, yet I was still able to drive it regularly to work without issue or discomfort as it had a full interior and even had extra sound insulation. To make a competitive road-course car out of an SC400 (or 300 for that matter) would mean taking a huge amount of weight out of it, removing a lot of comfort items, and making it much less of a good daily driver. That's another thing I strongly suggest to younger builders, make sure you understand there is a difference between a race car and a street car so build your's accordingly.
There is potential to make a nice handling car out of an SC400 I just don't see it as a race car. In fact, I can't remember ever seeing a Supra that wasn't tricked-out to the max running competitively in any racing in the states. There were a few guys who would show-up with them at the autocross events but they would have their a$$es handed to them on the course.
Old 12-27-12, 11:40 AM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If you want sandbagging tight corners, use strut cheaters...
Old 12-27-12, 12:36 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your going to find that 90% of the non SC owning community will call this car a lead sled.
Old 12-27-12, 01:49 PM
Maserati
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah, i even want to do track days when i get my car, unless your willing to swap suspension & strut/sway bars and such, it could be sportier?
Old 12-27-12, 02:19 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

Well an SC/Soarer/whatever you prefer to call it won't have go-kart handling; it is much more neutral and will understeer at the limit of adhesion.

However, on a relatively tight budget these cars can be made to handle much more competitively by swapping over the multitude of Supra suspension components that will fit, which is namely all of them except some of the control arms. Shocks, struts, and front lower control arms can be swapped by themselves. Front and rear sway bars will need the Supra sub-frame and sway bar mounts to fit. From most accounts, swapping both sway bars can lead to unwanted oversteer, however you might find it comfortable coming from an MR2. Most people just swap the front sway bar and are satisfied.

I am very certain that most strut tower braces from the supra will work as well, but you will want to confirm that before purchasing anything.

Beyond that, a good set of tires can transform the handling of any car. Speaking of tires, you can find OEM Supra wheels on the cheap, which will allow you to mount wider tires than possible on the stock Lexus wheels. Aftermarket Supra wheels will also fit the SC/Soarer.

Edit: Shocks and struts from a Supra MUST be swapped together or your car will be tilted slightly up or down.

Last edited by SoaringSC; 12-27-12 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 07:39 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by phllipheth
I used to race autocross with my Camaro and it was ranked nationally for a couple of years
What kind of troll are you... You always quote a random part of someone elses statement and add in "http://www.******.com/12a.jpg" and it never shows the image
Old 12-27-12, 08:05 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not comparing our cars to aston martins, but DB9's probably weigh just as much as these cars, except they have very nifty suspension, better tires/brakes, and a V12. Although it is very luxurious, a DB9 is still very much a sports car right ?

The proper suspension, tires, and engine can make these cars feel great.
Old 12-27-12, 09:08 PM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Even though SC4 has 2 doors it drives like a sedan, nothing exciting and slush box is dull too. If you like SC body style as I do myself, get the manual 2jz-t Sc300 and mod the suspension.
Old 12-27-12, 09:33 PM
Murco
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Candela
Im not comparing our cars to aston martins, but DB9's probably weigh just as much as these cars, except they have very nifty suspension, better tires/brakes, and a V12. Although it is very luxurious, a DB9 is still very much a sports car right ?

The proper suspension, tires, and engine can make these cars feel great.
Actually, I consider a DB9 to be a newer version of our cars' footprint. It's a grand-tourer of the highest order but not really suited for track work. True, it has a ton of power and computer aided handling but it still wouldn't chase down an equally optioned 911 around a road course.

Don't get me wrong, these are wonderful cars whose engineering still amazes to this day but they are really more of a sweet cruiser that can be made into a fun car to take around mountain roads while doing so quite comfortably...
Old 12-28-12, 09:22 AM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SC's are not sports cars. They are luxury GT's made for style and cruising.
Old 12-28-12, 10:19 AM
daily400
Pole Position

your looking on the wrong site for performance mods for the "uz" engine the sc section on CL is mostly the "jz" series you need to go to lextreme.com thats the forums for the toyota V-8's

Quick Reply: Opinions on the SC400 as a sports car