SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC actually drives good in winter.

Old 12-17-12, 07:51 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SC actually drives good in winter.

So I've been driving my second Lexus around in the snow and it feels awesome! Good winter tires go a long way. Having another SC with a stock suspension and stock ride height with stock rims is a godsend in winter!

When I had originally bought my first Lexus I had planned to daily drive it all year round in Canada with snow and everything. It was stock back then (3 years ago) and I ended up going in the ditch on the highway. It was in a snowstorm and the car didn't feel right on the highway. I was telling my friend how the car felt like it had no traction. I was riding 80kmph on the highway in a 100 zone because it just didn't feel right. Corolla's and Civic's were passing me at like 120. It was the first time i drove the SC in that much snow and I couldn't believe how bad it was. Anyways the car stars sliding almost spinning left, I thought we were going to spin out on the highway... would have been dangerous with cars behind us. The car then pitches right and we end up in the ditch. Luckily there was so much snow that there was no damage caused to the car and it just glided into the ditch, smoothest way into a ditch ever possible. I vowed never to drive my SC again in the winter. Right away I bought a winter beater. When I took my car out of storage in the spring, my local garage commented "Oh it looks like we mounted your winter tires on backwards last time. Our mistake"...

Anyways that summer I lowered my car and put rims on it. I decided I would start storing it too to preserve the car from the salt ridden roads that we get up here in Montreal (cars rust really quickly over here). Plus with a lowered car it isn't really an option to drive in winter up here.

I bought some beaters for the next couple of winters... but hated it because I felt ghetto picking up girls in beat up cars in the winter lol. Then this summer while browsing online I found an SC400 for a steal. Picked it up in immaculate condition. So now I have a modified SC for summer and a bone stock SC for winter. Couldn't be happier. Girls don't complain. I'm happy as a clam with 2 SC's especially since I found out that they actually drive great in winter.

Attachment 500386

Just thought I'd share my experience with this car as a winter car. Of course FWD and AWD are better for winter but I have no complaints so far driving this big heavy long RWD car in winter. It's all in the tires.

Last edited by Clean400; 12-17-12 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-17-12, 08:54 PM
durps
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha thats awesome, Im dreading the day I use mine in snow. Hopefully my dad doesnt use the truck that day.
Old 12-17-12, 09:08 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Great news! but don't trust it fully.
I have never heard ANY of the really experienced people here say that. (just sayin')
I'd get a FWD beater and have 2 nice summer cars.

(granted, you guys up North are likely better snow and ice drivers than many others)

Last edited by Studiogeek; 12-18-12 at 06:16 AM.
Old 12-17-12, 09:12 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People often overlook the power of tires, they really do make a difference. Check this out though http://autosock.com/
Old 12-17-12, 09:12 PM
OmgSc400
Driver

I really wanted to drive my lexus in the winter , but i want to keep it prestine ( 97 are hard to find in canada) , BUT I did drive one day in the snow... with summer tires... not the brightest idea BUT it sure was fun.. for a bit
Old 12-18-12, 04:03 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Candela
People often overlook the power of tires, they really do make a difference. Check this out though http://autosock.com/
That looks cool when your in a jam for a temporary solution. The best is to have studded tires. The last time I had some on my old Corolla I felt like a rally car driver. I was able to blast through snow and icy conditions without any thought. Go up icy hills that trucks were sliding down. My car came with winter tires that can't be studded but when maybe a winter or two from now I'll get some for the SC. Loud as hell though on dry pavement lol.
Old 12-18-12, 08:11 AM
Neil4Speed
Driver

If your a somewhat skilled driver its not bad at all. RWD is rewarding for very experienced drivers, whereas FWD will be better for 95% of the others out there.

I have been running all seasons and find its just really bad going UP hills. But Will be mounting my winters on soon, we just haven't got that much snow of yet.
Old 12-18-12, 09:49 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil4Speed
If your a somewhat skilled driver its not bad at all. RWD is rewarding for very experienced drivers, whereas FWD will be better for 95% of the others out there.
TRUTH.

Here in SoCal on the other hand, are expereincing a lot of rain lately, which is normal this time of the year. And it usually brings out the best of the worst drivers. Lol
Old 12-18-12, 11:05 AM
YanoYano
Driver

omg im new to nebraska and its suppose to snow tomarrow.... blizzard infact.. fml
Old 12-18-12, 11:52 AM
luvmysc400
Lead Lap

I tried to drive the sc in the snow a few times. That ish scared me to death, I do have summer tires mind you but the sc won't make off of my street. Even if I had snow tires I still wouldn't do it don't need someone hitting my babe.
Old 12-18-12, 12:59 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

i can second that,, but personally i think its all due to the trac control feature, it works wonders in the snow and ice.
Old 12-18-12, 01:47 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

You should undercoat the winter sc400, its worth the price to stop or hep revent rust.
Old 12-18-12, 01:56 PM
10thMtnLex
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Fun in the Snow!

26 Colorado winters now, never anything but RWD. Studded snows rule in the worst conditions (skiing, Leadville, dead of winter…), but they do hamper dry performance. My GS 300 was the first car I’ve had with TRAC, and I thought I’d try some Blizzaks (studless), and they seem OK with working TRAC. You do have to remember the early TRAC cars had no yaw control like the VSC cars, which will catch you out quick, it is NOT stability control! GS’s Blizzaks are now on their 3rd season, and are on the DD SC 400, purchased exclusively as the all-weather mobile. GS 300, and SC 300 are ‘retired’ from any such carnage, and the SC 400 already had some cosmetic issues so that I would not have to feel bad about using it every day. The SC 400 is stock other than Wheels/tires and a ‘warm’ air intake, TRAC is fritzy on it right now, but it does have the seat heaters.

Always found RWD to be fun and reliable form of snow transport, but may return to studded next time around…

BTW, the white stuff in the pic does not even count as snow here!
Attached Thumbnails SC actually drives good in winter.-sc-400-on-snows.jpg  

Last edited by 10thMtnLex; 12-18-12 at 02:00 PM.
Old 12-18-12, 02:54 PM
Candela
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah skinny wheels & tires help in the snow as well. I've always considered getting a set of wheels for snow purposes, paired with studded tires like you said. I'd just have to hurry and change up wheels before a snow storm hits. We get pretty bad snow here in NYC, it either doesnt stick at all, or its a huge blizzard smh.
Old 12-18-12, 07:03 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gray_es300
You should undercoat the winter sc400, its worth the price to stop or hep revent rust.
That's a really good idea. I've never done that to any of my cars. I usually get rust proofing which is really worth it where I live. The city covers the roads in salt which is really bad for rust. Cars with thin body panels rust really easily up here. You can tell which cars are made with thicker metal. The SC was made really sturdy with thick metal, so even if you get light surface rust it's not eating through the panel like it would on a Civic. If I had the money right now I'd get the undercoating but I'm a bit tight on cash. I just read that it's about $350.

Originally Posted by 10thMtnLex
Always found RWD to be fun and reliable form of snow transport, but may return to studded next time around…

BTW, the white stuff in the pic does not even count as snow here!
What rims are those? They looks like Lexus wheels from another car. Nice and understated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SC actually drives good in winter.