SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Complete airbag delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-12, 02:30 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete airbag delete

Since my steering wheel has been replaced I no longer have an airbag But have installed other safety equipment (sparco torinos and 4pt harness) to help save my hide in the event of an accident. Long story short... I'd like to remove an unnecessary equipment while my car is bare and easily accessible, have search cl and the web to see if I can simply remove the airbag sensor unit as well as the crash sensors and wires throughout the front end

Chris
Old 12-02-12, 06:50 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I think you should keep the system in place. If a cop ever asks you to go in for an inspection at least you'd still be able to throw on your old steering wheel and have a working airbag.

I don't know how much the SRS system weighs but probably not enough to make a noticeable difference. Also re-sale value, even if you plan on keeping your SC forever
Old 12-02-12, 07:00 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Not a weight weenie at all... I would never have bought a toyota esp a 90's luxury car jammed packed full of "luxury" just looking to have all unnecessary wires and crap out of the car since the whole front clip and interior is out of it I'm basically trying to simplify the car as much as possible as I have a lot of wiring going on with relocating things to clean up the engine bay and gte swap. Also old steering wheel is already in the garbage and in Ontario air bags are not required for safety I have a friend who drives his saturn with the blown bags cut out and covers taped back together

As far as resale value... My car has been a garage ornament for 2 years I'm in way to deep to even consider re-selling
Old 12-02-12, 09:45 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rcchris7
Not a weight weenie at all... I would never have bought a toyota esp a 90's luxury car jammed packed full of "luxury" just looking to have all unnecessary wires and crap out of the car since the whole front clip and interior is out of it I'm basically trying to simplify the car as much as possible as I have a lot of wiring going on with relocating things to clean up the engine bay and gte swap. Also old steering wheel is already in the garbage and in Ontario air bags are not required for safety I have a friend who drives his saturn with the blown bags cut out and covers taped back together

As far as resale value... My car has been a garage ornament for 2 years I'm in way to deep to even consider re-selling
No airbags needed for safety?? You lucky bumb. I"m pretty in Quebec you need airbags for it to safety. They've been getting more serious on inspections recently in Quebec and closed a bunch of them down because of shady business practices. In quebec it used to be so easy to pass inspection with anything, now they're pretty serious. I guess they want all of the beaters off the road.

BTW what part of Ontario are you from. My local club TLS (Toyota Lexus Scion) usually does a meet down in Ottawa every now and then. We go from Montreal to Ottawa. We do a Red Lobster meet.

Fun times racing down from Montreal to Ottawa with SC's. Off topic but I drove from Montreal to Ottawa when my SC was bone stock in one hour once. My cousin and I were late to a bachelor party golf game, we drove 200kmph practically the whole way there following a chick on a bike. She had a cop radar and would twirl her finger in the air when there were cops so we'd slow down. Then right when we past them we'd boot back up to 200. The SC is so steady at high speed! Got there just in time for our t-off haha.

But yeah come to our Red Lobster meet in ottawa next summer! Would love to see your GTE in action. I'll be sure to fill up my nitrous tank.
Old 12-02-12, 10:54 PM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

I'm down in Niagara in Port Colborne (about 20 minutes from the falls) But my parents actually live in Orleans just outside of Ottawa I'm waiting to hear from Algonquin to see if I've been accepted for electrical engineering technology, so yes hopefully I'll be attending but to keep it on topic so it doesn't get locked I've found a few diagrams since abs/trac has been deleted since I swap to m/t so I want to remove all the stuff I can while it's apart.
Old 12-02-12, 11:32 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Nice! If you need any diagrams of the SRS system let me know. I downloaded the entire 92 manual.
Old 12-03-12, 09:26 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What 4 point harness do you have? If it does not have Anti-Submarine technology, you run the risk of serious internal injury in the event of an accident. Also, how are the harnesses mounted? They should be attached to either a roll cage, or (if compatible) a factory seatbelt mounting point, that is no more than a foot or so below shoulder height. I really hope you're not using a harness bar on the street either.

Last edited by OneJay; 12-03-12 at 09:30 AM.
Old 12-03-12, 09:32 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Not sure of the brand it is DOT approved I'm sure I can find out for you on the tags, it's a very oem looking harness, plain black buckles look similar to the sc. It's mounted to the frame and the subframe where the seats bolt. Didn't want to run a harness bar since I'd loose my back seats
Old 12-03-12, 09:35 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

I read up on anti submarine and it's more in the seat than the belt, from the article I read. The front of the seat is much higher than the rear so it should have the same wedge effect that BMW designers were using too keep you in the seat.
Old 12-03-12, 09:48 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Do you mean the shoulder straps are run down to the floor, or just the lap belts? The shoulder straps need to be mounted rearward, with as little downward angle as possible to avoid spinal compression during an accident. If they're mounted to the floor, they will pull down on your shoulders, and you could break your back. Also, when that happens, without a 5th/6th point on your harness, your lap belt will slide off your hips, onto your stomach, resulting in seious internal injuries. The lap belt needs to stay planted on your hips, which can withstand MUCH more force than your stomach.

I would recommend going with a Schroth Rallye harness, as it bolts to stock mounting points, which are designed to withstand the inertia of an accident, and they have ASM technology to keep you from submarining. They are the only DOT approved harness. I am currently saving up for a set myself to use for autox and track days.

http://www.soloracer.com/rallye3.html
Old 12-03-12, 10:12 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

I'm sure it's federally illegal to mark belts as DOT approved we may have different regulations on belts here in Canada. Just so we're clear this car will see the track very little. I do appreciate all the information and really like those belts but I need to keep this thread about the SRS system before it gets locked up!
Old 12-03-12, 10:23 AM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

It's your car, you can do whatever you want with it. I just thought I'd let you know about the potentially fatal safety issues surrounding 4 point harnesses.

As for the airbags, are you planning on removing both? You should really keep your passenger airbag and stock seatbelt if you can. No need to endanger your passengers so you can have a fancy steering wheel.
Old 12-03-12, 11:20 AM
rcchris7
Lead Lap

Again I have thanked you for the information and legitimately want to purchase those belts, I'd feel much more comfortable with those. 92 dash does not have a passenger airbag.
Old 12-03-12, 02:45 PM
OneJay
Lexus Champion

Understood. Sorry if I came across like a d*ck. As for the airbag, you could probably just remove the sensors, wires, and I think there is a control unit mounted under the drivers dash? Not completely sure where, but that's my best guess. You could always trace the wiring from the airbag, or the sensors, and find it that way. Hope that helps!
Old 12-03-12, 04:12 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

There is no point to do that. What if the next owner of your car wants the car to have airbags?

Quick Reply: Complete airbag delete