SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Making 92-94 SC300/400's "beep" audibly when using the factory keyless entry

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-13, 04:17 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

I personally think is it crass and annoying to be beeped at by cars that emit loud noised and even honk their horn when the car is remotely locked. The 92 SC400 remote lock won't respond farther than 3 feet from the car. Consequently it is kind of nice just hearing the doors lock or unlock when you press the key button. No loud noised are required or necessary. LS400's have a volume control on their smart key controlled cars. They are almost required because the car is so quiet. And you can adjust it so you don't annoy others.

Along these lines, there's nothing more annoying than a car in a parking lot with it's horn going off due to it's security system. And absolutely no one is paying attention or calling the cops for that matter.
Old 10-17-13, 08:27 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

jayclapp, I agree with you regarding alarm systems blaring incessantly but this is just a simple beep to inform the owner that doors have been locked or unlocked when performing the mundane and very automatic task of pressing a remote button.

I suppose you aren't obsessive-compulsive or simply forgetful? I find that an audible sound helps prevent me from walking halfway across a parking lot, panicking and turning around to physically pull on the door handle to confirm I've locked my car. Or always peering into my windows to physically look at my door locks every time I lock the car.

I agree that some cars overdo it. In this case, it's very easy to assume your car is locked (or panic thinking you left it unlocked regardless of logic) because the sound of the mechanism itself is very faint and near imperceptible as to which mode it is in.
Old 10-18-13, 10:47 AM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Cleanshots, that has happened to me too. Nonetheless, thank you!

Where exactly did you tap the 12V for the lock? Was this at the fuse box? And the piezo buzzer... was that hooked up directly or did you use a relay?

If a relay is better (and to prevent battery drain) I think I'd be inclined again to use this beeper device. What do you think:

http://kptechnologies.com/products.php#/9
lol funny u should post that.. i saw that yesterday around the same time u posted that.. you could get that and u only need relay if u wants your lights to flash.. my method is cheapest and easiest.. its basically just one wire.. from the 12v lock to the buzzer.. you can use the body as ground at the buzzer location.

my beeper is loud enough to hear, not loud to be annoying and sounds almost like all factory toyotas!

the beeper is RadioShack 86dB Piezo Buzzer part number 273-060

Last edited by Cleanshots; 10-18-13 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-18-13, 05:27 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impossible since (with Cleanshots' 12V trigger method) this could only happen if the electric door locking system itself failed OR if you turned off your 92-94 Remote key dash switch. The latter would mean you have to lock the doors with the key manually anyway.
idk i think its possible but improbable. im fine with the oem key or just manually locking it. im not lazy where i have to press a button.
Old 10-18-13, 05:28 PM
SC4ME
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I personally think is it crass and annoying to be beeped at by cars that emit loud noised and even honk their horn when the car is remotely locked. The 92 SC400 remote lock won't respond farther than 3 feet from the car. Consequently it is kind of nice just hearing the doors lock or unlock when you press the key button. No loud noised are required or necessary. LS400's have a volume control on their smart key controlled cars. They are almost required because the car is so quiet. And you can adjust it so you don't annoy others.

Along these lines, there's nothing more annoying than a car in a parking lot with it's horn going off due to it's security system. And absolutely no one is paying attention or calling the cops for that matter.
i agree however there are some very smooth chirps some cars have that i actually enjoy hearing, meanwhile it assures me the car is indeed "armed". a safety satisfaction is a must for all vehicles.
Old 06-05-14, 10:53 PM
KahnBB6

Getting back to this, finally. Tonight I ordered the KP Technologies beep module. I'll post my results with it here.
Old 06-16-14, 03:46 PM
KahnBB6

The KP Technologies beeper module came in today. I don't have time to dive into the wiring now but I will soon.

Old 06-16-14, 06:55 PM
Mjmpro
Driver School Candidate

Default Sight and sound

Lexus made a system called sight and sound for early es300 and ?
Don't know if it was made for the sc butt if it can still be bought It can be made to work
Need to see if it is still around
Old 06-16-14, 07:04 PM
KahnBB6

Mjmpro, if it's still available at all it's whatever is left over in the parts inventory and we'd need a specific Toyota/Lexus P/N. I don't believe there was any such option for SC's. What exactly did this "Sight and Sound" package do?
Old 08-12-14, 11:30 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Does anyone have the part number for the actual beeping speaker?
Old 03-27-16, 05:33 PM
TRACKMKIII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The KP Technologies beeper module came in today. I don't have time to dive into the wiring now but I will soon.

Did you ever get this setup installed and fully functional?
Old 03-28-16, 04:35 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by TRACKMKIII
Did you ever get this setup installed and fully functional?
I have yet to install it, I'm sorry to say. It's still the plan to do so but it was difficult to set the time aside a while back to do it. One thing after another with the SC or with my work and moving quite a while back put this project on the back burner. I haven't been able to prioritize it yet. I never got frustrated with it, I just had a lot come up shortly after my last post in this thread.

The notes I have on it are right where I left them and the kit is still waiting to go in two years later. I still think it's a good kit from all the research.

When I finally get all my tuneup issues solved soon in time for my upcoming smog it will probably be a good time to look into it again.