SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2jz-ge & 5-speed from 96 in 92 SC300.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-12, 10:57 AM
PoorSC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz-ge & 5-speed from 96 in 92 SC300.

To start off. I have looked around and googled this question. From what tid-bits I gather there should be no problem if I change out the whole harness. Wanting to see if anyone had done this first-hand.

Now, for the story. I wrecked my SC300 dodging an animal around a bend (Should have ate it). I went into the grass and slid through a sign and into the biggest pine tree anywhere near. The worst thing is, it was my birthday and no, I wasn't drunk. I work nights and morning drinking isn't my thing. This is, sadly, a factory 5-speed.

From what I looked at, the harness should be good. It pushed the frame over about 4-5" so it will have to be cut out. Only thing is, my car is OBD2. Guessing all that will be changed with the harness. What about clutch pedals and all associated hardware? Trying to make the decision if I want to buy the car back and part it or swap it into another body. I've just spent alot of money on general maintenance and other stuff. I have a garage I can work out of, so storage shouldn't be a problem, or tools. Just waiting on a check from my insurance. They valued it an just above 4500.

You may cry if you look at the pics below. Viewer discretion is advised.

Before anyone says anything about the rims. I don't like them either. Slapped them on until I got some more tires for my Konigs. Probably wouldn't have ate a tree if I had them on with good tires.
Old 11-01-12, 12:26 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

so you want to know if you should part it out or swap it into another sc3? Im guessing its not expensive to buy back then and the motor/trans didn't take a hit.
if you find a clean 5spd sc3 then part it out, if not maybe you want to buy back for the future swap.
if its really cheap then just get it back either way.
Old 11-01-12, 11:59 PM
PoorSC300
Driver School Candidate

Accually, I want to know would it be easier to just install a 5 speed or both motor and trans. Mine is a 96 so it is OBD2. Unsure what, if any, plugs would be different or if there are anymore sensors on OBD2 sc300's.
Old 11-02-12, 08:05 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

OK, i think I get what you are doing now.
Obviously It would be much easier to just install all the 5 spd stuff onto the 92.
If the 92 engine is not up to par, and you want to really have that 96 engine in there, just swap the motors and trans and use the odb1 harness and ecu. there shouldn't be different plugs on the engine really since you are not vvti.
you will have the oil pump crank sensor that odb1 does not, but since you still have a distributor when you plug in the odb1 harness, it will get the crank signal from the distributor so while a few things are a bit different but it should just plug up.
quicksc4 has done this I think so maybe he can give you some more info.
Old 11-02-12, 08:58 AM
sc400ka
Pole Position

only time a car isnt worth buying back is if the motor and tranny where taken out. however if everything is good you can still make money on the swap and buy a newer car or build it up for the next one.
Old 11-02-12, 09:46 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your engine and trans, if in good condition, will work fine on an obd 1 auto harness with a little wiring. Prob lots of info on auto to manual wiring here so I won't get into it. I'd rather have the obd1 stuff anyway. Also. early model car will require cutting of the tunnel to accomodate the later model trans.

funny, I was totally gonna give a snide remark about the wheels haha
Old 11-02-12, 11:57 AM
PoorSC300
Driver School Candidate

Ok, So if I did just a 5 speed swap, any unused plugs wouldnt make CEL come on? I'm sure its a small chance, seeing how one is OBD1 and one is OBD2 but would the ECU's be interchageable. Doubt it seeing differences in OBD's and manual/auto harness. Guess I will be able to answer that questions once I get my check, my car and buy the other 2. Yes, on CL theres 2 SC300s for 2500 for the pair. One dont run, other he says jerks when slowing down. But bodies are good and they are prety much same motors.

I agree, rims look like a ricers dream, but I still have to get to work, lol.

Will have to cut the hood off to get a good look, but from what I seen, the subframe took the hit and maybe part of the AC compressor. Strut tower didnt make contact with the motor either. Also looked at the trans to make sure she didnt snap, it also looks ok from what I can see. Needed an oil pan gasket and rear main, so looks like she will get them sooner than expected. Just don't like to circumstances.

Last edited by PoorSC300; 11-02-12 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Fat fingered a word
Old 11-02-12, 01:23 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

cel doesn't even matter on odb1, it doen't even need to work.
If you find a manual odb1 ecu, you may avoid the cel's if you really care about it, or you can just leave the auto shift solenoids plugged into the harness (remove them from auto trans), and tie them up. thats what members do on the odb2 autos.
Old 11-03-12, 01:47 PM
PoorSC300
Driver School Candidate

Sweet. I could care less about the light really. My plan is to do the swap, get the other SC going good, and sell both of them for now. I have my friends car until Feb of next year or so. Figure I'll flip cars and get my money up and get a 97+. They look alot better IMO. If the one I make a 5-speed don't sell, I'll keep it and build it up. Just wish exaust wasnt so much for this car, and don't really like how any of the single exaust look. Thanks for your help Ali.
Old 11-04-12, 09:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

no problem, sometimes if you have a really clean SC, its easier to just put the 97 parts on your car.
also since yours is odb1, if you want to do mods its an easier platform to work with, and its very difficult to find a 97 5-speed.
Old 11-04-12, 10:19 AM
Integra2SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ouch

I'm truly sorry about that bro that sucks, take the engine, trans, maybe a few interior pieces, sell the shell and source you some 97+ bumpers and lights, and make that 92 CLEAN!
Old 11-04-12, 05:55 PM
PoorSC300
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, that's the plan. Worse case scenario is I'll get a motor to rebuild from the 92 and slap in the 96 motor. Only time will tell at this point lol.
Old 11-13-12, 08:58 PM
PoorSC300
Driver School Candidate

Figured I would update my deconstruction as I go along.

I get attached to my cars. It was tear jerkey as I did this, but I had to get the heart and soul from her. Thank god I didnt have the car for very long or put alot of time in her before the wreck. Had the money and the appointment to bring the car in to get painted that Friday, this happened on Thursday night.