SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New XXR Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 08:53 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Imagine telling everyone.... "no they are not real ccws" or.... no "they are not real Works"... Fake bodykits, I guess if you pay to have them fitted properly would look like the real thing with enough prep work. Fake wheels next to real wheels will always look like fake sht. Sorry, but that's the truth.
Old 02-28-13, 08:56 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Like someone on SF said.... they should just call them FFW (Fake F*king Wheels)...that way you can tell people you're running on them FFW's.

I have no problem with these cheap companies making an affordable wheel, but when they blatantly copy someone else's work, that's a spit in the face of the original designer and inventor.
Old 02-28-13, 09:53 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I preordered a set in gold 3 days ago. Will I care if someone talks about it being a replica? No. replica by definition is an exact copy of the original work. The xxr wheel left out the bolts and concaved the spoke design making it an altered version of the OG CCW mesh type of wheel. The varrsteons on the other hand are true replica's not trying to change the design at all and making them appear like the real deal.

The way I see it is there are only so many ways mesh wheels look good and they have all been explored. next best thing to do is make different version of each. Ok the ccw is 3 piece, now theres a 1 piece version. Not trying to defend the wheel bc you are right but hating on it because its a copy? think about something like coilovers.... i guess everyone has fake coilovers since they are a different brand.

Last edited by iridebmx; 02-28-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 02-28-13, 10:31 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by iridebmx
I preordered a set in gold 3 days ago. Will I care if someone talks about it being a replica? No. replica by definition is an exact copy of the original work. The xxr wheel left out the bolts and concaved the spoke design making it an altered version of the OG CCW mesh type of wheel. The varrsteons on the other hand are true replica's not trying to change the design at all and making them appear like the real deal.

The way I see it is there are only so many ways mesh wheels look good and they have all been explored. next best thing to do is make different version of each. Ok the ccw is 3 piece, now theres a 1 piece version. Not trying to defend the wheel bc you are right but hating on it because its a copy? think about something like coilovers.... i guess everyone has fake coilovers since they are a different brand.
LMAO.... than everyone has a fake engine because they all use pistons.... and everyone has a fake car because they all have doors and headlights. You completely missed what I was saying.

There is good quality, and sht quality. And it becomes pretty damn obvious when you look at a real wheel up close, than look at a fake wheel up close. I had some Ruff Racing wheels as my first set...they looked okay, but having plastic fake rivets falling off is just nonesense.
Old 02-28-13, 10:53 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

ok that was a terrible arguement/example. i just couldnt think of the name of the HRE wheel without googling. heres my original example i wanted to use

So is every other company that makes this wheel a copy/replica/unoriginal? I am not sure if hre even made it first...i know they made it before forgestar, bmw, ford, vmr, etc etc? but are all those other brands unoriginal copies as well? they all look the same but have their own spin off or version of it. I will say I like the Bmw version the best in both look and finish.

XXR is the first to make their spin off of the ccw. haters gonna hate. im gonna be less poor.

It's beating a dead horse discussing the topic of real vs copied wheels, I know, and I apologize to anyone reading thinking "again another thread".

Last edited by iridebmx; 02-28-13 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-28-13, 11:19 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iridebmx
haters gonna hate. im gonna be less poor.
this +1
Old 02-28-13, 11:25 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

more then likely youre already poor if you buying fake wheels and trying to explain why you doing it. Knock offs are knock offs, xxr does not make a 3piece knock off they are just cast wheels. I have no problem buying Megan/BC coilovers over tein or hks since they perform just fine same goes for Shine VS A/C its all fiberglass if it fits and dosent crack just sitting there its fine. Fake me out wheels that are made to look like a 3 piece but arent is not the same. If that is all you can afford without going absolutely broke thats fine too just dont try to justify how you going to be less broke then who bought real wheels.
Old 02-28-13, 11:35 AM
wirelesstj
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MDSC
more then likely youre already poor if you buying fake wheels and trying to explain why you doing it. Knock offs are knock offs, xxr does not make a 3piece knock off they are just cast wheels. I have no problem buying Megan/BC coilovers over tein or hks since they perform just fine same goes for Shine VS A/C its all fiberglass if it fits and dosent crack just sitting there its fine. Fake me out wheels that are made to look like a 3 piece but arent is not the same. If that is all you can afford without going absolutely broke thats fine too just dont try to justify how you going to be less broke then who bought real wheels.
not everyone can afford the really expensive wheels at the beginning. theres a reason they make knock offs, its for those who cant afford the real deal but still would like to be stylish. imo theres nothing wrong with buying knock off wheels. if it rolls and looks good why not.
Old 02-28-13, 11:40 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the cars on here are barely worth more than a real set of ccw's.. i just cant justify buying a set of wheels that cost almost as much as my car.. i rock replicas all day long.. and if i curb the wheels or bend them.. i can always buy another wheel cheaper than to rebarrel a real wheel. nothing wrong with replicas..
Old 02-28-13, 11:58 AM
iridebmx
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MDSC
gonna be honest that comment got to me for some strange reason. im fixing all my cars suspension arms and buying all the parts for my 6speed z33 swap into my sc400 and $2500 wheels is pointless at the moment. maybe im to poor though since i dont have more money for wheels at the same time!

the status quo is crazy in these type of threads.
Old 02-28-13, 12:08 PM
2jznosht
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
LMAO.... than everyone has a fake engine because they all use pistons.... and everyone has a fake car because they all have doors and headlights. You completely missed what I was saying.

There is good quality, and sht quality. And it becomes pretty damn obvious when you look at a real wheel up close, than look at a fake wheel up close. I had some Ruff Racing wheels as my first set...they looked okay, but having plastic fake rivets falling off is just nonesense.
Glad you saw the flaw in you ffw argument...and yes once upon a time some genius invented the engine. That genius was copied.

And this whole debate is silly. I didn't know people still cared about CCW classics. Didn't that fad die down already? And also it's pretty silly to spend 3k on wheels to put on a car worth 3.5k
Old 02-28-13, 02:29 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by wirelesstj
not everyone can afford the really expensive wheels at the beginning. theres a reason they make knock offs, its for those who cant afford the real deal but still would like to be stylish. imo theres nothing wrong with buying knock off wheels. if it rolls and looks good why not.
never said theres anything wrong with it, i had a set of bbs lm reps on the car as well, but they were simply temp wheels. When i saw the real deal wheels in person it made me realize that its a night and day difference. I kinda already had an idea that would be the case. I never made statements as to "why buy real when fake is just as good, and in the process i will be less poor then you are".That is the only reason i said what i said. Nothing wrong with buying fake as long as you admit its fake and not try to represent it like it is and also admit that is what makes sence to you to afford at the moment and not that its better is or the same in some way.
Old 02-28-13, 02:37 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 2jznosht
Glad you saw the flaw in you ffw argument...and yes once upon a time some genius invented the engine. That genius was copied.

And this whole debate is silly. I didn't know people still cared about CCW classics. Didn't that fad die down already? And also it's pretty silly to spend 3k on wheels to put on a car worth 3.5k
CCW classics are just that classic the fad will not die on them just like BBS RS or Work Meister, they are just good looking quality wheels. If all you trying to do is buy a stock SC lower it and put some wheels on it, i say go ahead and buy some knock offs and keep them. Most people around here spend thousands and thousands of dollars on fixing, upgrading, paint, body kits etc etc. So at that point why did you spend 8k on 3k dollar car? Because thats what most people do here its a hobby, where do you draw a line ? well that depends how deep your pockets run and how much money you want to spend on a 3500 dollar car.
Old 02-28-13, 02:42 PM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tuterz
Some of the cars on here are barely worth more than a real set of ccw's.. i just cant justify buying a set of wheels that cost almost as much as my car.. i rock replicas all day long.. and if i curb the wheels or bend them.. i can always buy another wheel cheaper than to rebarrel a real wheel. nothing wrong with replicas..
It lookes like youre more worried about the price of what it cost if A.B.C.... happens and not what your car looks like over all. I much rather buy a set up used works for 2500 with tires then a set of Varstoens for 1000 less. Thats just me though
Old 02-28-13, 02:44 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I feel bad for people who actually pre order from XXR lol. Thats probably the worst company you could pre order from. Their wheels never come out when they are supposed to and you have no idea when they will make certain sizes ect. I remember last year all the people trying to pre order some of their new models and then giving up like 4 months later haha.

Quick Reply: New XXR Wheels