SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My First Lexus-1996 sc400

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-12, 11:24 PM
DudeWLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Lexus-1996 sc400

Bought a 96 sc400 recently for $1800. It has a few cons and high mileage but starts and runs like a champ. There are a few problems that I plan to fix soon so any opinions/information is much appreciated.

The wheel is very hard to turn when going in or out of a parked position. When you use force to turn the wheel while the car is barely moving it makes a "popping" sound coming from under the car/hood? But the wheel turns really smooth when you give it gas.
I'm thinking I need a new power steering pump? I also heard that it could be the rac and pinion?

The air and/or climate control does not work. the screen and buttons dimly light up but nothing is displayed and the buttons dont do anything. The fuse is fine so im not sure if its an electric/wiring problem or if there is a common issue. I plan to start by replacing the climate control with another one to see if it works? any suggestions?

Thanks for reading,
Old 09-24-12, 07:50 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

Check the fuses. Cig and climate.

If you can't read the screen, that is a common issue. I can rebuild the unit for you and put in a new screen when you get to that point.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 09-24-12, 08:01 AM
Kyle1uz
Driver School Candidate

a sound clip or video clip would help determine the steering problem. Has the car been in any accidents? My first thought was the rack and pinion.
Old 09-24-12, 09:52 AM
DudeWLexus
Driver School Candidate

The cig lighter port does not work. The lighter piece is gone lol but I cant charge my phone from it. the fuses are lit up so im going to get a new cig and hope the old one is just burnt out from age. someone did take out the factory stereo system so im hoping they didnt screw up the wiring for everything else. Think I should try replacing the cig before the climate control to see of the new one works?
Old 09-24-12, 09:58 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

The climate unit should be beeping if you press the buttons or doing something. If not, one of those fuses are bad or it's not getting power like it should.
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 09-24-12, 10:07 AM
DudeWLexus
Driver School Candidate

So if the fuses are good and its just not getting power like it should then what could be a potential issue? It looks like all of the wires are there and good but the factory stereo is gone and someone had rigged up there own stereo with some kind of homemade ground wire lol.

Ill check the fuses again but I think they were all lit up
Old 09-24-12, 10:09 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Then maybe it's not grounded properly.
Old 09-24-12, 10:35 AM
DudeWLexus
Driver School Candidate

Ill look into that. I thought maybe I should also mention that the DvD player does not work.

This car definitely has a few problems haha. As long as I can get the AC going soon then im going to keep it. It helps that I know mechanic friends that I can get discounts through so its not all bad but do you think it was a good deal to buy this car for $1800? they were asking 2500 for it. The engine/transmission and smooth ride are what had me sold on it.
Old 09-24-12, 11:30 AM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

DudeWLexus, hey welcome...a $1800 SC? Nice pick up...it sounds like you have a few minor problems, take your time and let the trouble shooting begin. Keep us posted, and post up some pics when you get a chance?

steve
Old 09-24-12, 08:50 PM
DudeWLexus
Driver School Candidate

Got it checked out today by a mechanic. He says the rac and pinion looks fine. He found a coffee can taped under the car to catch power steering fluid haha. The PS fluid is over full which I guess killed the pump or at least means the pump is dead. Im getting a quote tomorrow so I think im going to avoid driving until i get it fixed? I dont think it will stop the car from pulling to the right, probably needs an alignment?

Also, did the 96 factory come with a DvD player?
Old 09-24-12, 09:30 PM
DudeWLexus
Driver School Candidate

I am thinking of getting new seats. Do i have a decent range of models/years that will work or will I need the 96 sc400?
Old 09-24-12, 10:04 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

92-2000 will work.. Some of them come in perforated and some years don't. Check out www.leatherseats.com.. Great results at a fair price on the web.

Welcome to CL!!!

Post some pictures, I am dying to see the coffee can, lol
Old 09-24-12, 11:23 PM
DudeWLexus
Driver School Candidate

haha ill try to get a pic of the coffee can.

The mechanic who will be changing the power steering pump has never worked on a Lexus before. Should that be an issue?

Last edited by DudeWLexus; 09-24-12 at 11:39 PM.
Old 09-25-12, 09:43 PM
DudeWLexus
Driver School Candidate

So I checked out the passenger door today(it wont open from the outside). It looks like there is a rod missing? I looked down in the door but didnt find anything. Im not really sure what id need to do to fix it. if I could just get the missing piece or if i need to order a new handle system or something? I dont really know alot about cars.

And the power lock button doesnt work properly for the passenger door. when the button is pressed, the plastic lock piece on the passenger side only moves about half way.
Old 09-26-12, 01:20 PM
DudeWLexus
Driver School Candidate

Could someone link me a good website that sells various interior/car parts like the Ebrake slip on cover or center console lid.

Quick Reply: My First Lexus-1996 sc400