SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Time for a new SC, dont cha think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-12, 06:43 PM
kevbot1001
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a new SC, dont cha think?

I saw today that Toyota is teaming up with bmw to make a new sports car.. wow its about time! But why can't toyota do it by themselves?? I dont know if anyone has seen the LF-LC but i really dont care for the styling myself. the FRS is alright i guess.. but why put a boxer engine with no turbo in there? put a straight up wrx sti engine in the frs.. now thats something to talk about!! but no, thats toyota for ya. honestly besides the sc400, supra , tundra, 4runner... I kind of hate toyota. They really put the boring into modern cars! Sorry to just make a rant thread here but I think if they made a new SC, modernized the styling a bit, put a nice engine in there, twin turbo 4.0.. or maybe the tundra 5.7l.. that would be a real competitor for the top sports car companies around the world. Maybe if we really get enough interest in this we can get the attention of the people at toyota/lexus! sometimes I really just want to call up the owner of toyota and be like wtf has happened to you?? they havnt made a good sports car since the 90s. and thats just not right. i mean there is the LFA but.. seriously might as well not even make that car because no one will even have it except for a handfull of people. the isf is a good car! can't forget about that. but why not have it in a real sports car frame? Tell me what you guys think! I'd love to hear your feedback
Old 08-25-12, 07:01 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

I agreed what you said about toyota and sport cars, but I think their main focus is an average person buying a sedan (Camry) or hybrids that where the money comes from. They looking at the average family affordable car and teens for their first car. Toyota can make sport cars easily if there a demand otherwise they just focusing what people are buying.
Old 08-25-12, 07:10 PM
kevbot1001
Driver School Candidate

yeah i totoaly agree with what you just said. my family owns a 4runner, celica, we use to own a camry haha and ive got an sc400. (my first car) got a great deal on it too, i love that car. but yeah toyoyta is just a car company for families who will never go over the speed limit these days, thats exactly what my family did. but i really want there to be another sc/whatever so in like 10 or 15 years there will be another fast reliable car for me to buy at an extremly depreciated value haha
Old 08-25-12, 07:18 PM
horent135
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kevbot1001
yeah i totoaly agree with what you just said. my family owns a 4runner, celica, we use to own a camry haha and ive got an sc400. (my first car) got a great deal on it too, i love that car. but yeah toyoyta is just a car company for families who will never go over the speed limit these days, thats exactly what my family did. but i really want there to be another sc/whatever so in like 10 or 15 years there will be another fast reliable car for me to buy at an extremly depreciated value haha
haha yup, im waiting on that SC430 or LS460
Old 08-25-12, 08:24 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs up 2014 toyota supra

Here you go. It's been rumored long enough! Hopefully Akio Toyoda follows through:

http://www.newtoyotasupra.com/2011/0...-toyota-supra/

"Well, according to the insiders at 7Tune, work has secretly continued on a Supra successor and with enthusiast Akio Toyoda now taking over as CEO, we’re probably closer than ever to a new Toyota Supra.

Internally known as the 086A, a prototype is expected to be completed by the end of 2009. The car has moved out of design phase and sources say that Toyota is looking at a 3.5L V6 engine that will be mated to the current Toyota Crown hybrid system delivering a total of 400-hp to the rear-wheel-drive sports car."

When the world economy gets sorted out, I think Akio will pull the trigger!

Last edited by SC400DAVE; 08-25-12 at 08:30 PM. Reason: CLARITY
Old 08-25-12, 08:51 PM
kevbot1001
Driver School Candidate

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/c...artnership.php this is where i saw it. i really do wish they would put a v8 in there though. idk what it is with asian car companies.. it seems like they like the sound of dirt bikes coming from their cars. To me, theres nothing like the sound of a big v8 engine! doesnt even have to be a big v8 either to sound great.. like our 4.0l v8 sounds great
Old 08-25-12, 08:53 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

but i really want there to be another sc/whatever so in like 10 or 15 years there will be another fast reliable car for me to buy at an extremly depreciated value haha
If it is a Supra, then we might not get that chance. The MK IV Turbos have held their value pretty good.

Supposedly new they will be like $70,000.00!
Old 08-25-12, 09:01 PM
SC400DAVE
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/articles/c...artnership.php this is where i saw it. i really do wish they would put a v8 in there though. idk what it is with asian car companies.. it seems like they like the sound of dirt bikes coming from their cars. To me, theres nothing like the sound of a big v8 engine! doesnt even have to be a big v8 either to sound great.. like our 4.0l v8 sounds great
I don't get why they need to collaborate with anyone! Why can't Toyota/Lexus just go back to the future and Calty Design Research? They did it before, they can do it again.

Are the designers and engineers for the company that lame that they can't produce another SC/Supra platform?

Old 08-25-12, 09:04 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

yea they need to make an sc500 its about time, and get back to the original style

little sleeker, little sportier, much faster and much newer , that would be a winner right there
Old 08-25-12, 09:11 PM
kevbot1001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
yea they need to make an sc500 its about time, and get back to the original style

little sleeker, little sportier, much faster and much newer , that would be a winner right there
well said hah i probably should have just said that for my first post it would have been a lot easier. but yeah they could take the 5.0 from the ifs with 8 speed trans, maybe an optional 6 speed manual, throw it in an updated sc400 and call it a day. but if they do pick up on this thread at toyota... dont frickin use the sc430 platform... pleease toyota. lol
Old 08-25-12, 09:31 PM
kevbot1001
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SC400DAVE
I don't get why they need to collaborate with anyone! Why can't Toyota/Lexus just go back to the future and Calty Design Research? They did it before, they can do it again.

Are the designers and engineers for the company that lame that they can't produce another SC/Supra platform?

i dont know if youve seen this video or not, but if you own a 1st gen sc, you should see this. hahah its a cheesy 90s video but you can tell the designers at Calty really put some time into it.
Old 08-25-12, 10:32 PM
1KhpWrx
Lead Lap

I already have one but you can't see it till the rest come out!
Old 08-26-12, 03:07 AM
Twirl
Pole Position

Kinda reminds me of the new scions...
Old 08-26-12, 05:58 AM
UZinator
Rookie

I don't like it (probably because I am a dinosaur). I think it looks hideous. I do like the MKIV stying -but all those changes to triangle shapes and shards -to me is just completely un-appealing. I think the SC400 is completely "Sexy" as the younger generations would say and that is why I just had to have one as soon as I finally noticed it.

I could even go out of my way to try and modify the car to change it's looks -but then I ask myself "Why would I want to do that when it already looks so good?" It is a sleeper and a half. I have had some sleepers before in the past but the SC has got to be at the top of the list for sleepers. People see that Lexus symbol on the back and they automatically equate to luxury and not a rediculously fast and nimble car.

I have studied the UZ motor for a few months now (which also has fed the addiction) and I have come to the conclusion that the UZ has lots of hidden potential. No -I am not talking about with just the simple addition of turbo or supercharger and a few more bolt ons. It was designed by a race car engine engineering team from what I have read. And my findings show that this is likely correct.

So -while some may crave for a new design and something different -I choose to stick with what is there but just not discovered yet. I am going to keep my SC400 looking very close to stock with the exception of some wheels for traction purposes. But I am not going to make them stick out to the sides to say "look at me" and instead -I will put as much rubber within the original confines as possible and just short of suspension modification or "tubbing".

My built engine will start on a stand and be completed first there and transplanted later so that the original engine and trans can go into storage somewhere in a corner. And the same goes with anything else that I swap out for more peformance. Original goes into storage for later restoration after the fun.

I will focus on making the exterior/interior look as pristine as possible and keep my faith with the SC400 classic.

MP
Old 08-26-12, 07:15 AM
ATP123
Rookie

They (TRD) are making a supercharger for the frs and there are also rumors and spy shots of an IS F convertible (possible sc replacement?)

and I doubt the final supra will look like that. The car in the photo is probably an early concept for the frs since it does look similar to the ft-86 concept.

Quick Reply: Time for a new SC, dont cha think?