SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Body and Suspension guys - Opinions and Facts Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-12, 11:01 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body and Suspension guys - Opinions and Facts Needed

Okay, so if you have been following my build thread, I am in the process of painting my SC3. So with that said, I am having a really hard time deciding on the color.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ld-thread.html

White is my go-to, back up color, which I would be very happy with, but I have been throwing around the idea of a gunmetal, canary yellow, red etc..

So, what color would you paint your SC if you had the chance? The body is 100% stock, and I feel like a yellow would be too soft of a color, but I have never seen it done before, so it might be cool.
Something like this.

Or Championship White

Gunmetal

Any other colors you think look really good? I fear that the SC has super soft lines, and a roundness to it, and certain colors car make the car look more aggressive, but I think the wrong color would make it look stupid as well LOL. Please note, this is my first time painting a car...ever. So while I would love to do a pearl or metal flake, I don't think I would be able to do a good job with it.

I am about 1 week out or less before I am ready to primer, and found a super helpful local shop to get my paint through, just just need to make the decision on the color before I pull the trigger.

Also bare with me, I have a few more question..

I bought a 3 spray gun kit from my local store as well. The Vaper(titan) kit. Is this any good, or should I return it an purchase something else?

Also, being that I removed all of my windows(both quarter windows and rear window), what exactly will I need to get those back in. I assume I will need a new "Pad" correct? Part Numbers: 75571 and 75575A from Seawells.
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C300-1992.html

But is there anything else I will need for sure? What did you need to purchase when you removed your windows?
Quarter windows:
http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...C300-1992.html

Now this should prob be in the Suspension forum, but hoping someone can give me a quick answer or opinions:

The company I work for works very closely with Tein, so I had my eye on a set of MonoFlex Coilovers, however I am a huge fan of PBM, so does anyone have an opinion on MonoFlex Vs. The PBM? Please note that if I buy PBM, I will have some spare cash for other suspension mods.

And I always hear how low PBM coilovers go, which is not my style, so does anyone know the max height it will go? Like could it be raised to near stock height, or 1inch drop minimum etc..?

Thanks so much guys! Any input is greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-10-12, 11:04 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

that..................
Old 08-10-12, 11:16 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
that..................
HAHA everyone wants me to do Gunmetal as well, and I won't lie, it is one of my favorites.

Here is my Buddy's 240, and I LOVE this color. This pic does not do it justice, it has such a deep and rich color to it, almost 3d if that makes sense.. lol sorry I suck at this type of stuff haha, which is why I need help!!

Old 08-10-12, 12:09 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Then "everybody" is right, are right, and be right.
Old 08-10-12, 12:23 PM
GotRiceYo
Lead Lap

I have always thought about that metalic looking "Root Beer" color.. like on the Honda element SC edition or the Nissan Cube.. Good way to be different and with the right wheels...would look sick IMO.

Id post some pics of other cars that have done it, but work computers prohibit it. ghey
Old 08-10-12, 12:49 PM
SaintLouSC
Rookie

For Gods sake please don't paint it yellow
Old 08-10-12, 01:01 PM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

will somebody paint there damn sc whitest white (lfa white)!!!

i should have gone with tht color instead of corvette black. i want to see an sc this color. if u resort to white dont do championship white. jmo tht color is soo played out not even honda ppl use it anymore.
Old 08-10-12, 01:09 PM
jjpark712
Driver

Return those spray guns!!
Seems like you want to do real detailed n meticulate work on the car.
If you can afford or know someone that has devilbiss tekna use that with correct size fluid tip.
Also iwata and sata are very good, but I know lot of people that has switched over to devilbiss. Also look into purchasing into disposable cups. Makes painting job faster, less waste quicker change when paint runs out as well.
Mostly read technical data sheet FULLY before spraying.
Old 08-10-12, 02:52 PM
scoobySC3
Driver

Originally Posted by jjpark712
Return those spray guns!!
Seems like you want to do real detailed n meticulate work on the car.
If you can afford or know someone that has devilbiss tekna use that with correct size fluid tip.
Also iwata and sata are very good, but I know lot of people that has switched over to devilbiss. Also look into purchasing into disposable cups. Makes painting job faster, less waste quicker change when paint runs out as well.
Mostly read technical data sheet FULLY before spraying.

Thanks for the info Everyone! And I am not looking for it to be perfect in any way shape or form, this is more of a learning experience for myself. I even turned down a professional paint job for a good price as I just want to do it myself, and if it looks like ****..meh so be it. It won't look nice for long as this will be my beater and I do plan on drifting it and tracking it, so it will get beat up pretty quick. I just figure that if it looks better than it did before it will be a huge improvement in my book.

have you painted with these guns before? I did a bunch of research and people gave them okay reviews, nothing stellar, but okay for a super entry level gun. And I don't plan on doing any painting after this so I almost need it to be disposable in a sense. I was going to purchase the Harbor Freight gun that got decent reviews, but I liked the idea of a dedicated primer and paint gun.

Thanks so much guys!!
Rick
Old 08-10-12, 02:54 PM
scoobySC3
Driver

Originally Posted by GotRiceYo
I have always thought about that metalic looking "Root Beer" color.. like on the Honda element SC edition or the Nissan Cube.. Good way to be different and with the right wheels...would look sick IMO.

Id post some pics of other cars that have done it, but work computers prohibit it. ghey
That would actually be pretty cool, and I do like the idea of a color that is a bit out there if you know what I am saying

Also I don't think I will do Yellow, but I do LOVE that color on the old Impreza's, I just think the body lines really support that color.

Thanks again,
Rick
Old 08-10-12, 03:18 PM
jwin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Devilbiss has a starter line for about 180 comes with different needles and two guns. Painters have recommended that for the beginners like myself.
Old 08-10-12, 10:14 PM
jjpark712
Driver

I have used both tekna and starter line from devilbiss but I own iwata from Japan.
Cheaper one was does work ok
But to get nice fan shape pattern, took a longer time to get it adjusted properly.
I would recommend water based paint as its easier to apply and needs less coats.

Also There is a 3m disposable gun which is perfect for sealer/ primer application.
As far as paint selection, sky is the limit or as much as your wallet can afford.
One thing to remember, expensive paint does not like to stick on top of cheaper paint.
But cheap ones will stick to anything. So you want to use at least somewhat good paint and clear to start in case you may want to repaint later on.
Old 08-11-12, 04:40 AM
LameSC300
Pole Position

For the pbm question, my car Is raised to the max height they go for now and its still so low.

So if scraping isn't your thing get the teins and dont paint it yellow!
Old 08-11-12, 10:13 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

Thanks so much for the input guys!!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I am a total noob when it comes to anything painting related, so this is a huge help to me and is greatly appreciated.

And is this the guns you guys are talking about?
http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/finishstart.aspx

I am liking the 2nd and 3rd option. Part numbers: DEV 802342 or DEV 802343
Is one going to be better than the other?

And with those kits would I also want to get the disposable cups?
Like this:
http://www.tcpglobal.com/spraygundepot/dekups.aspx
Part number: DEV DPC-654-KIT

And jjpark712, I really like the idea of a water based paint, but I have heard it is pretty Pricey, is that correct? I don't know much about it, but I would assume the VOC is a low level, and I do have proper masks and protection, but I like the idea of a more environmentally friendly, less toxic paint. But again please keep in mind I am not expecting show quality or anything close to that, as long as it looks better than it did before, which won't be hard lol, I will be stoked!!

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!!

Rick
Old 08-11-12, 10:24 AM
scoobySC3
Driver

LameSC300 Do you happen to have a picture of your car at max PBM height? I don't mind it being lowered, but I am hoping at max height, it is not "slammed" if that makes sense.

Thanks,
Rick

Quick Reply: Body and Suspension guys - Opinions and Facts Needed