SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

why go big single turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-12, 05:13 PM
RgSc
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why go big single turbo?

not too hate or anything.. but i have been looking at a whole bunch of supra's, the whole 2jz boost aspect. i have notice one thing.. and its your guys power bands, and how ****ty and god awful they are... its worse than hondas v-tec.. you guys don't make anything around 4k below.. everything is 4500 rpms and above, wasting too much time spooling these turbos.. in fact your making these motor produce only peak power at the end of the powerband's,

now the twin turbo's setup's powerbands look more efficient, having a useable powerband, ready to go at moments notice, don't have to wait around for that massive turbo to spool..

i know for a fact 500whp twin turbo 2jz vs 500whp single turbo, twin turbo will eat that thing for breakfast as it makes peak power sooner in the band, more useable power....

i just wan't to know why go single turbo when you can make almost the same amount of power twin turbo...

maybe i have no clue what im talking about..i probably i need to know more about turbo's.. the only reason i see to go single turbo when your making HIGH horsepower that's it. i know one thing two turbo's is more efficient then a single

im lost with the whole 2jz single turbo and ditching the two turbos
Old 08-05-12, 05:41 PM
MrBrock
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what you wanna do with it. Big turbo is good for drag racing. You can spool it up on the line and then be high in the revs thru the quarter. Also good if your building a dyno queen and you just want to say your car makes a billion horsepowers. For normal driving, autoX, or some other racing that involves some braking and going thru more of the rev range you want a smaller turbo to spool quickly and add a second to increase flow. Or you can get the best of both worlds with a variable geometry turbo.
Old 08-05-12, 05:46 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not sure what your considering a BIG turbo... but generally the guys with huge turbos are making HIGH horsepower like you think. I run a t67 and it starts boosting quite early, though not sure that qualifies as big in the supra world.
I like it because i can pretty much stay out of boost completely if i get worried about gas mileage.

I think the main reason most people get away from the stock twins is due to them being ceramic turbos and dont really like prolongued high levels of power so maybe most find it easier to just convert to single.
Old 08-05-12, 05:55 PM
ihiryu
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah T61's boost really early too. I think a QSV and a T61 would be hella crazy. You'd make a decent amount of power, and less vacuum lines, and VSV's to deal with too.
Old 08-05-12, 06:01 PM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Besides more power, and killer looks, Single turbos spend less time in the boost threshold area at cruising speed.

When you are not in boost, you are saving gas.

Many single turbo 2jz's can get 27-31mpg easy with the right gear set.