SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My odyssey : Trying to get out of SC's

Old 07-31-12, 02:59 PM
MySCSucks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My odyssey : Trying to get out of SC's

Over the last couple months, I've been off my SC. Maybe a little longer even. It looks nice, but it's slow and I didn't want to commit to the engine swap for real power. So I convinced myself I was going to get something new. I loved my SC I thought, but I wanted something newer (I have a 92) something more modern, something more powerful, etc.

I vacillated on the price point and type of vehicle I wanted. For a while I was going to try to save 20k and get a Viper or a NSX or DB9. Get the true exotic. Then it was going to be late model high performance German. 2000+ M3, M coupe, 1999+ M5, CLK55, S55, 996 911, 840/850, etc. These were very very very tempting. Almost ridiculously so. The 850 and M3 specifically. But the stories of maintenance and costs and electrical gremlins were too much. I got terrified. Then it was G35 coupe (2005 facelift +) in manual. That's a good looking reliable rear wheel drive coupe with power. But everyone and their mother has one.

Hours and hours and hours on Autotrader, searchtempest, ebaymotors, etc. I'm sure some of you have this affliction as well, having to search every day for the dream vehicle, just in case it's out there someplace. I saw a CLK55 for 7k with only like 110k miles. Clean carfax too. I saw a bunch of BMW 8 series under 8k. They are rare, and super sexy, but you can't get parts. I swore for a couple weeks I was going to get an S55 for around 10k and say screw the coupe for the big boy sedan with muscle, but they scared me too.

And where do I end up? Back with my SC. Loving the look and rarity. And wishing it just had more power. My engine is pretty much at the end of it's line, so it's the right time. I need to find a Jersey shop that does Engine swaps. I can't do it myself and I want someone who's done plenty of them to do the work.

So, instead of some exotic German or whatever, I'm almost surely going with a 2jz-gte swap and new exhaust system. I'm hoping to keep the entire affair under 5k, does that sound reasonable from the guys who have done this? I don't need 500hp to the wheels, a mildly tuned gte should be enough for me, figure 350 or so.

The simple fact is that a well done SC is one of the best looking cars on the road.
Old 07-31-12, 04:01 PM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to push you away from your SC, but another option could have been the 2003+ E55 AMG. 469hp 516lbft all obtainable for around $20k.

Add a pulley and tune and you're up another 50hp+. Headers and exhaust gets you another 40, TB and injectors is another 40, intercooler upgrade nets another 30.
Old 07-31-12, 07:50 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

^^and one breakdown/repair and u have to sell your house lol

yea man fix ur sc up and save the rest of the cash ,,,,its the smart choice
Old 07-31-12, 09:11 PM
coolewong
Driver

Similar story here...Can afford buying a E500/CLK but I just can't stand spending money and most importantly time to fix them... So I'm thinking about 98+ sc400 or a gs400/430 or a G35 coupe... but sc400 looks the best to me. not liking gs's look and well.... everyone has a g35
Old 07-31-12, 09:22 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 192 Likes on 136 Posts

coolewong get an ls430 man
Old 08-01-12, 12:06 AM
coolewong
Driver

wouldn't ls430 be too big and mature for a college student? haha
Old 08-01-12, 12:16 AM
arosc3
Driver School Candidate

how does a gte swap work again?
Old 08-01-12, 03:23 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Undercover performance is a very high rated shop they have good reviews on supra forums
and
E shift performance Highly rated too

STAY AWAY FROM SHIFTED PERFORMANCE IN OCEAN,NJ
Old 08-01-12, 06:15 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why don't you just do a headgasket and a small turbo kit to reach your goals? That should be easily doable with $5K.

I have a G35 coupe and while it may seem like everyone has one, when I drive it I hardly see anyone have it. I wish it had more friends actually... LOL. But it is a great car, and damn reliable at that.
Old 08-01-12, 05:25 PM
MySCSucks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kez
Undercover performance is a very high rated shop they have good reviews on supra forums
and
E shift performance Highly rated too

STAY AWAY FROM SHIFTED PERFORMANCE IN OCEAN,NJ

Thanks, I'll check those places out.

I'm hoping to basically source as many of the parts myself as I can, and then have someone who's done swaps do the work.
Old 08-01-12, 05:28 PM
MySCSucks
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by marshall2j
Why don't you just do a headgasket and a small turbo kit to reach your goals? That should be easily doable with $5K.

I have a G35 coupe and while it may seem like everyone has one, when I drive it I hardly see anyone have it. I wish it had more friends actually... LOL. But it is a great car, and damn reliable at that.
I was considering redoing my engine, but it's beat. It's spitting smoke at high revs, it's been leaking oil. The car is old and the engine just needs to go I think. I'm actually having a mechanic look at it next week to tell me whether it's a good platform for a swap. A guy who's done a bunch of Toyota based swaps.

The G35 was my only other realistic choice as a highly reliable, relatively cheap to fix, RWD, stick shift, luxury coupe.

I spit on Acura for not making a proper coupe.
Old 08-01-12, 08:44 PM
coolewong
Driver

Acura RL looks very good imho. To me it's the best looking acura (besides nsx)...well suck that it's not a coupe

@Marshall2j, how different is it to drive a g35coupe vs sc300 , since you own both of them? mind sharing? which one is quieter inside and which one is more reliable?
Old 08-02-12, 05:38 PM
SCary400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
^^and one breakdown/repair and u have to sell your house lol

yea man fix ur sc up and save the rest of the cash ,,,,its the smart choice
Same story with any of the other he listed as options.
Old 08-02-12, 08:50 PM
- V -
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 121 Posts

ive driven an ls430 and i cant understand why people mod them and put coils on them. That car is RIDICULOUS comfortable. If i was to ever get one of em, its staying bone stock. at the very least in the suspension department.

OP: Keep your SC. Before i got mine, I looked everywhere for a car like this one and just couldnt find one. Atleast not in the 4-5k price range. I say keep it and enjoy it.
Old 08-03-12, 06:24 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by coolewong
Acura RL looks very good imho. To me it's the best looking acura (besides nsx)...well suck that it's not a coupe

@Marshall2j, how different is it to drive a g35coupe vs sc300 , since you own both of them? mind sharing? which one is quieter inside and which one is more reliable?
Both of my cars are different; the G is bone stock and the Lexus is a project. If the Lexus I picked up wasn't hacked as ****, it would probably be a lot nicer. LOL

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My odyssey : Trying to get out of SC's