SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Who actually races or track there SCs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 02:11 PM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What size turbo do you have and what kinda work done to the head?

I'm had my 1uz still in my SC for when I used to hit road course events and loved it. I did road course my GS3 once and had a 70mm DBB on it but I will say it was only once do to lag coming out of corners. And about time I was getting back into it, I was slowing down again.
Old 08-03-12, 02:12 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

yeah i was going to say a lot of the guys on the forums drift their cars
Old 08-03-12, 04:48 PM
Sleepyboi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacj3
What size turbo do you have and what kinda work done to the head?

I'm had my 1uz still in my SC for when I used to hit road course events and loved it. I did road course my GS3 once and had a 70mm DBB on it but I will say it was only once do to lag coming out of corners. And about time I was getting back into it, I was slowing down again.
stock head w/ a precision pt6266 BB turbo...mayb its just cuz im coming from a NA car to a turbo that im not used to.
Old 08-04-12, 08:39 AM
millertime
Pole Position

How'd it go last night?
Quite poor...

I showed up at 7:30 didnt get to line up till 10:00

Lanched HARD, went about 10 feet, and the car aimed towards the wall, because the driver wheel quit getting power.

I think i sheered the splines off of the axle inside the diff.

The rear end is welded, so i did drive it home on the passanger side wheel.
Old 08-04-12, 02:08 PM
Nickmyo
Driver

race it here and there rarely but more drift it
Old 08-04-12, 05:51 PM
Mr.1.5
Lead Lap

Here's an old vid of Hal's SC from Dynosty in Kentucky.

Old 08-04-12, 06:06 PM
RINTHAL
Rookie

Originally Posted by theory5150
I've gone to a couple drift events and id like to think our sc's are pretty easy to learn on if setup right (coilovers, welded diff/ lsd, etc.). Id highly recommend going to an event even as a complete noob beginner
Its because of the power and long wheel base. Im coming from a slow *** ae86 and the transition is kinda crazy. Well kinda the steering/snap back is kinda sluggy but idk it might just be me.

My plan is to build it up legit with all suspension mods and aftermarket, diff, and na-t. No body work just rat it out!
Old 08-04-12, 07:04 PM
addisonblc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does seem that the general population is mostly drift with a few other auto sports thrown in. Insuppose it's about like the 240 world. You don't see them on the drag strip too often other than sh@& and giggles to kill time in between drift laps. Doesn't seems like a bad platform for drag
Old 08-04-12, 10:24 PM
UGJZZ31
Driver School Candidate

my latest track event was in February at Thunder

Last edited by UGJZZ31; 10-02-12 at 08:29 AM.
Old 08-06-12, 12:11 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I wouldn't mind finding a legal spot to actually practice drifting in my car but I'm much more interested in road racing on a real course. Time and money.
Old 08-06-12, 09:26 AM
Jacj3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sleepyboi
stock head w/ a precision pt6266 BB turbo...mayb its just cuz im coming from a NA car to a turbo that im not used to.
That's a pretty decent sized turbo guys are making around 800whp on those if I'm correct, it's lag that's the biggest hold up. Port and 264s should help out a little not a lot but better than nothing.

Originally Posted by millertime
Quite poor...

I showed up at 7:30 didnt get to line up till 10:00

Lanched HARD, went about 10 feet, and the car aimed towards the wall, because the driver wheel quit getting power.

I think i sheered the splines off of the axle inside the diff.

The rear end is welded, so i did drive it home on the passanger side wheel.
Damn that sucks, guess it's time to hit DSS for some axles. That's who I'm going with for my build.

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I wouldn't mind finding a legal spot to actually practice drifting in my car but I'm much more interested in road racing on a real course. Time and money.

Yeah Cali had a lot of the tracks out there closed if I'm right?
Old 08-06-12, 11:15 AM
KahnBB6

Yeah Cali had a lot of the tracks out there closed if I'm right?
A lot of the drag strips closed down in southern California for a while mostly due to noise ordinance regulations (folks, if you start building houses in the middle of nowhere next to a drag strip you have no right to complain about noise and force them to close because they can't afford to construct a million-dollar "sound wall") but at least one has opened up again. Fontana, I think.

Race tracks, however, are still and always have been open but it's pricey to get into trackday events. I plan to, however.
Old 08-17-12, 08:09 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to Watkins Glen at the end of Sept with NASA. Hoping to get my SC working well before then. If not, I'm taking my trusty G35. I dont think I'll be able to install an oil cooler by then, but hopefully low boost (8 psi) and TRD thermostat would be ok. Just picked up an Auto TT Torsen pumpkin and would be installing that next weekend most likely

Jeremy
Old 08-20-12, 10:35 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by marshall2j
I'm going to Watkins Glen at the end of Sept with NASA. Hoping to get my SC working well before then. If not, I'm taking my trusty G35. I dont think I'll be able to install an oil cooler by then, but hopefully low boost (8 psi) and TRD thermostat would be ok. Just picked up an Auto TT Torsen pumpkin and would be installing that next weekend most likely

Jeremy
You'll like the Torsen 3.769. It will help tremendously in the handling department. Just go easy on your W58 once you've installed it. Have you looked into a PS cooler as well since you're looking into track use?
Old 08-20-12, 11:34 AM
marshall2j
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
You'll like the Torsen 3.769. It will help tremendously in the handling department. Just go easy on your W58 once you've installed it. Have you looked into a PS cooler as well since you're looking into track use?
My car came with a W58. Hoping it lasts a couple events this year, then I'm going to be doing the R154 swap this winter.

My G had no issues with power steering, do you think the SC is more prone to having issues? Oil cooling and perhaps PS cooling is on the table for this winter as well.

Quick Reply: Who actually races or track there SCs?