SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

"Hot Swappable" Cluster Blacklighting

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-12, 03:46 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Remote Control Color Changing Cluster - Complete

I was playing around with needles here and I thought it would be kind of cool to be able to change the color of the backlighting depending on mood. Anyway, this is a test, but I think it looks promising.

EDIT: To see the the final product, skip to this post.

Last edited by ishootstuf; 06-23-12 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-07-12, 04:52 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool! Can you make the needles do that?
Old 06-07-12, 05:10 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

It was really easy . This was supposed to be a simple repair for my Daughter's SC4 - but I think I need it in my SC3 too

Here's the details on how to do it - and I take no responsibility for any damage you do to yourself, your car, or your home or pets or anything...

Get yourself some of this stuff on ebay. You don't need as much I bought. In the pics, there is a total of 21 LED's. The flexible strip can be cut every 3 LED's. On the speedo side, I used 4 sections (12 LED's) and on the tach side I used 3 sections (9 LED's) EDIT: USE 4 SECTIONS ON BOTH SIDES

For wiring, I used some old CAT5 patch cable I had laying around. It has 4 pairs of wires, 3 of which correlate to the color of the cathode (negative) terminal of the RGB LED. I used the green\white wire for the common anode (positive) feed.

Remove your existing backlight bulbs and use one of the holes on each side to feed the CAT5 in. Seal up the holes with the empty sockets.

Now get yourself one of these controllers on ebay and hook it up to switched power for input and then connect the CAT5 wires to the controller.

So the whole thing will be around $25 and you'll have extra LED's to stick on other stuff.

Last edited by ishootstuf; 06-08-12 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-07-12, 05:14 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Very cool! Can you make the needles do that?
I'm not sure. It would be MUCH MUCH more difficult. That would be awesome though! I'm still working on the original needle repair that brought this idea on - and it's just red.
Old 06-07-12, 06:54 PM
Mike552
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

This was on my to-do list. I'm glad someone did it before me... now I am more motivated to get on with it. Good job.
Old 06-07-12, 08:35 PM
Specaiist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like it..
Old 06-07-12, 10:23 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

This is a really cool mod! It's nice to have the choice to switch the color of your gauge cluster for a change. Those LED strips are nice because they are bright and don't seem to show any hot spots. Nice job!
Old 06-08-12, 12:01 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny thing is, I already bought the flexible strip on a whim, and haven't figured out what to do with it. Now I know!

Thanks for posting this idea.
Old 06-08-12, 12:42 AM
jjpark712
Driver

This is awesome. I was getting tired of looking at old lights that starting to go out.
Old 06-08-12, 04:13 AM
chrisindub
Pole Position

Nice job! Just get the needles sorted out for the whole package.
Old 06-08-12, 06:36 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrisindub
Nice job! Just get the needles sorted out for the whole package.
Yeah... those are not as easy! I'm sure for the time invested so far, it would have been a better choice to go Lextech, but I like to do stuff myself.
Old 06-08-12, 06:50 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Wow, this stuff has really come down in price...

Here is everything you need for under $10. Assuming you have time, soldering stuff, and some old CAT5 cable.

FYI, I bought these a couple years ago for lighting under my kitchen cabinets and pimping out my handicap scooter. They are both still working fine.

I noticed they have controllers with 2 outputs so you could make the left and right sides different colors if you're feeling really wacky. I just ordered a couple more controllers, so when they get here from China in 3 weeks, I'll update with video of the final result. For now, it's going in hard wired as one color so my daughter can drive her car.
Old 06-08-12, 08:57 AM
ptahSC300
Rookie

cool nice mod and a diy !
Old 06-08-12, 02:06 PM
chrisindub
Pole Position

I have to mention, for all the talk about the horrendous hot spots people get putting LEDs in for backlight of the cluster. I put some blue three LED bulbs in off ebay to match the rest of my interior, which is all blue, and I can not see any hot spots.

If you try really, really hard, you might see a slight dimming at the 12 O'clock position of my tach, but its not noticeable unless you are specifically looking for it.
Old 06-08-12, 02:11 PM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chrisindub
I have to mention, for all the talk about the horrendous hot spots people get putting LEDs in for backlight of the cluster. I put some blue three LED bulbs in off ebay to match the rest of my interior, which is all blue, and I can not see any hot spots.

If you try really, really hard, you might see a slight dimming at the 12 O'clock position of my tach, but its not noticeable unless you are specifically looking for it.
You mean like this thread I made about 3 years ago?

Quick Reply: "Hot Swappable" Cluster Blacklighting