Rust on firewall? possibly purchasing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 12:30 PM
Juiced2jz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust on firewall? possibly purchasing

Background story:
Ok first off i have an 02 is300 that i did full bolt ons and stance GR+ coilovers etc and realized i like driving it too much to have it "drifted out" so i reverted back to stock and have been driving it that way for about 2 years now. In the meanwhile i had a 240sx that was a POS, got rid of that last summer and have had the drift bug ever sense. So a sc300 came up for sale last week my dad saw it while200 miles away took pics and got info $1500 was like what?!

The car in question ($1500):
I got a hold of the guy and he claims it has a blown head gasket because it leaks out the back of the engine. I was like ok does it overheat, smoke any of that he replied no.. so im thinking this guy is a tard. As far as the interior its torn to ****, the seats anyway. The carpet looks like stained crap and overall just dirty. He claims the radio does not work. When i asked why he replied "unfortunately it has rotted out where the radio connector is and the connector gets wet so the radio doesnt work" wait what?? I asked so your saying the firewall is rusted out? where? at the tunnel or what, cause ive never heard of that. For the life of him he cant explain it and just says thats what his father told him is why the radio doesnt work. The drivers window regulator cable broke off the plastic piece as usual and im aware of the JB weld version fix for this ;p. Normally i would pass this up but ive ran into things like this before and people claim bad head gaskets and its just a bad hose somewhere or oil pressure sending unit leak or even intake gaskets. I do all my own work and dont have an issue with replacing the head gasket but im just trying to see if anyone else has heard of rotting behind the radio or wtf this guy could be talking about. Ive seen pics all around the outside and its flawless no rust nothing, How the hell can the firewall be rusted out that bad it just doesnt make sense.

Sense im not versed in the SC body im not sure where the radio lines up with the firewall to look etc. My main thing is he is accepting trades and i have an old infiniti he is willing to trade for though mine is running and driving perfect and no issues at all though my bluebook is only 2k im just trying to decide if i want to drive 200miles to go see it and potentially trade my good car for him potential nightmare.

So any thoughts on this especially the rust/rot deal would be great. thanks

**looks as though the plates expired 2 months ago..**
Couple of pics of vehicle in question:

Last edited by Juiced2jz; 07-05-12 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 01:55 PM
sj408
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure on the rot/rust deal but it could just be the coolant hose on the back of the head is cracked and leaking and it doesnt have a blown hg at all. You can tell when driving a car with a blown hg even if a small leak.
Old 07-05-12, 02:20 PM
Juiced2jz
Driver School Candidate

very true im going to take the couple hour trip in a little bit and see the deal. After searching a long while around the internet ive never heard of the tunnel or firewall rotting out so who knows
Old 07-05-12, 03:53 PM
Juiced2jz
Driver School Candidate

ok well, off to see the wizard lol. Clarified by the owner he said "no the hole is not by the dash its in the rear by the reciever, the dash doesnt leak its from the tire.

Again wtf does the tire have to do with that?
Old 07-05-12, 04:54 PM
rogers2014
Rookie

^ yeah thats a bit wierd but i've never seen seats torn like that, who got pissed off? the HULK? lol all jokes aside thes sc300's are a so nice you can do much more with them (well parts wise it would be easier) than the sc400, i picked mines up with minor problems but for $800 you can't complain i do still think you can beat him a little down, show him out the problems and walk with the money in 20's it works, and was also advised to me from other buyers, sellers and even a car saleman! if your able to get it for the price/ a fair price which this seems fair to me, but you may want it cheaper i'm sure he is more than willing!
Old 07-05-12, 04:55 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you like the car, buy it...and if you do your own work, this can be a on-going project. You can take your time, and make sure it's done right. Either way, wish you the best of luck! Keep us posted.
Old 07-05-12, 06:55 PM
WRD4chano
Advanced

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts

I wouldnt recommend you purchase this car unless you plan to spend money you wont get back if you decide to sell it, also fixing such issues will take time (more than one summer).

yea.
my 2¢

Last edited by WRD4chano; 07-05-12 at 06:56 PM. Reason: grammar nazi
Old 07-05-12, 09:10 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Rust on ANY SC is a sign that car has had a HARD life. It CAN happen up north, but even then it's not easy and not common.
Old 07-05-12, 11:15 PM
CalitriSC
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I would stay away from that car lol.