SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sunroof wind

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-12, 05:07 AM
jminor
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof wind

Picked up my sc yesterday and love it! Not sure how to load pics here w my smart phone or I would.. Noticed while driving it home that there is wind noise with the sunroof closed, what are the odds the seal is dried up and worn and is it common?
Old 06-25-12, 07:36 AM
cmh
Lexus Test Driver

congrats on ur pik up. def the seals. i am not 100% on this but i think they sell them on sewell.
Old 06-25-12, 09:14 AM
DrMcPho
Rookie

Does it mean that the door that you slide moves as well? Because mine does that :[
Old 06-25-12, 01:59 PM
SoaringSC
Pit Crew

It is most likely the seals. It's common enough and well-documented on these cars. Mine is doing the same thing, and also leaks a little bit every time I rinse it with the hose. I would do an "at home leak test" on it with a hose before buying new seals.
Old 06-25-12, 05:47 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Take off the two tan plastic covers under your sunroof and you will see shims on the front and back of the sunroof on both sides. You will need to loosen the 10mm nuts to remove the shims. Try removing one or more shims on both front sides of the sunroof and see if that takes care of the wind noise.
Old 07-25-12, 12:39 AM
ureclipsed
Driver School Candidate

Luxor, can you post pics on how to do that?
Old 07-05-14, 10:31 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to revive an old thread but this was the 'newest' of the old ones on the subject. I tried thedouble sided tape install in between the weatherstripping and moonroof glass and reinstalled today. It made a TREMENDOUS DIFFERENCE in wind and road noise...for the better.

a couple things to keep in mind.

1. Don't rush the install. Push the tape up in the gap slowly and uniformly. It'll want to bunch up and maybe even twist. Just go stesdily. It'll take about 10-15 mins to do it right.

2. Be ready to fiddle with the shims. And even get some additional washers from Home Depot or wherever. Upon disassembling my moonroof I found that the factory shims were one too many on one side and needed two more 2mm washers up front for the fit I liked.

3. When you reinstall the roof, the gasket should be RAISED ever so slightly above the roof line no more than a mm or 2.

4. You'll know your repair went well when there is no discerning sound whether or not the sunshade is retracted.

Good luck. This repair is a must.

Last edited by Sweatshop; 07-05-14 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-05-14, 12:17 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Thanks for the bump, kbb. My sunroof does the wind noise thing when closed, even though the seals look good and it fits snug. I hadn't been bothered enough yet to search for commonality and a solution, but it's been on the back burner. Now I know.
Old 07-05-14, 06:42 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is interesting. I'd have to go look at my sunroof to see exactly where in between the weather stripping and glass you're talking about. But this has always bugged me and will definitely be doing it, especially now that I seem to have developed an annoying rattle from somewhere up there.

Pics will also always help. We're a visual bunch here on CL
Old 07-05-14, 11:19 PM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
This is interesting. I'd have to go look at my sunroof to see exactly where in between the weather stripping and glass you're talking about. But this has always bugged me and will definitely be doing it, especially now that I seem to have developed an annoying rattle from somewhere up there.

Pics will also always help. We're a visual bunch here on CL
yea pictures would be nice, mines pretty loud as well and i thought it's just normal but i guess it's a common thing.
Old 07-05-14, 11:21 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

This is the best thread I found as far as pics and additional description of the process:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...s-sunroof.html

Although, I took the plastic side trim pieces off mine today and couldn't figure out exactly what people are talking about with regards to adding double sided tape to the weather stripping. I'll tackle it again when it's a bit cooler out.

I did notice that my four bolts are double shimmed on three and single shimmed on the fourth. Several people have described finding their's the same way, so I'm guessing that was by design. To what purpose, though, I can't fathom.
Old 07-06-14, 08:10 PM
BeaksSC
Pole Position

Mine actually does this as well. I only hear it when the visor is open though and no water leaks or anything so I'm not too worried.
Old 07-07-14, 02:04 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by t2d2
This is the best thread I found as far as pics and additional description of the process:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...s-sunroof.html

Although, I took the plastic side trim pieces off mine today and couldn't figure out exactly what people are talking about with regards to adding double sided tape to the weather stripping. I'll tackle it again when it's a bit cooler out.

I did notice that my four bolts are double shimmed on three and single shimmed on the fourth. Several people have described finding their's the same way, so I'm guessing that was by design. To what purpose, though, I can't fathom.
When you get around to taking the glass OUT, will have to pull the weatherstripping from the bottom (it's secured up top on the roof surface side and you'll see the spacing where the you can place the tape. Impossible to see with the roof still installed.
Old 07-07-14, 10:22 AM
Sc400NL
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(quote) couldn't figure out exactly what people are talking about with regards to adding double sided tape to the weather stripping.

i also don't get it
i don't understand where the double-sided tape should be applied , is it to thicken the rubber molding around the glass to make it thicker and therefore close more firmly ?

i always thought the wind noise was normal , would be great if i have a silent car like a lexus should be
Old 07-07-14, 11:13 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I'm hoping it will make more sense when I pull the glass out, but the description(s) makes it sound as if the fix is to add a [layer of tape] gap between the glass and weatherstrip so as to push the weatherstrip up more flush with the roof, rather than pushing the glass itself up, which I thought is what the shims part is all about. That doesn't seem ideal to me, as the weatherstripping is designed for exposure to the elements and the tape may or may not be.

Quick Reply: Sunroof wind